Chicago, IL

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 1

Posted November 17, 2014
A true shame. No discipline. Extremely poor academics. A very unpleasant place. Teachers leave during class for smoke breaks. Kids are unruly in class and no one cares. No communication. Did I mention my kid got vegetable oil thrown on her during spirit week...in main hall inside school?

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 3

Posted October 02, 2014
i can't understand why this school does not provide books especially in critical areas, like math. can some explain to me why these kids are working from work sheets instead of a book. becuase of this, i can not rate this school high. the school is great in every other way. Fighting is up, wish the school can expel the problem kids (a handful, but the handful disrupt the whole). last a week a senior jumped on a freshman (something that started on the bus, according to my daughter). the senior was wrong and should be made an example of, there is no reason, none for jumping on a freshman, zilch.

Posted April 03, 2014
Graduated in 2009 and CHSAS gave me scholarships and pushed me to apply and then later receive scholarships for college. Fortunately, I continued my higher education with agriculture at Illinois State University. I would say CHSAS is for the MOTIVATED "average student" and for the ABOVE average student. Every year CHSAS has more and more seniors getting accepted to Ivy League schools with scholarships....overall the school is safe, challenging , and EXTREMELY hands on.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 4

Posted March 29, 2014
I am currently a senior at CHSAS. The school in these past 4 years has been good. Before getting accepted to CHSAS, I had either the option of going to lane tech or bogan. I was waiting to see if I had another other accepting high schools, and that's when CHSAS had accepted me. There is a variety of sports now. I have participated in soccer, football, and volleyball. The sports are going up in competition, especially the volleyball teams. Academic wise, the classes are well. They leave homework almost every night, but not to the point where you are very stressed out. I am ready to graduate from CHSAS and start a new chapter in my life.

Posted November 09, 2013
My daughter graduated from here, June 2013. She had a good time here. The school is for average students. A few honors and A.P classes are offered. Not too many sports or clubs. There aren't any fighting allowed nor gangs so the school is pretty safe. CHSAS is very diverse and small, only 500 students cap. My daughter is now a freshman at Western Illinois University and she is doing really well. Overall, the school fit her academic needs. If youhave a above average/gifted child, this isn't the school for them but if your child is average learner and you are looking fora diverse and safe school, then consider Ag Sciences.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 1

Posted April 19, 2013
This school need to expand because overpopulation of students and these students need to stop being so racist to one another, they need security outside after school to crack down the trouble teens plus this school need more activities and more sports to do after school.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 4

Posted November 09, 2011
I was a student at CHSAS. The freshman teachers are great and help make the transition from 8th to 9th grade smooth. After that, students are on their own but are still babied by some teacher from time to time. Junior and senior year I still had some classes that wanted me to color for homework. I came to the school for the diversity mainly, and I was pleased that all the different ethnicities got along so well. The neighborhood is not a great place for minorities sometimes, but the school doesn't have any race related issues. It's hard for the small student body to be cliqueish, but it does happen. Everyone is relatively freindly, though. When I hear students who get accepted to REAL college prep schools (the school says it's a college prep, but the cirriculum is very easy to many) reject them and come CHSAS, I go crazy. The school is a great option for those who really don't have anywhere else to go, as I did, but if you are offered the opportunity to go to a much better school, take it. And the FFA is an absolutely wonderful organization, but they shove it down the students' throats at times. CHSAS is a great school, but needs to improve on some things to be better.

Posted February 02, 2011
I am a parent of a freshman and junior at Ag High and I have to say that I am pleased with the school. The school is safe, nuturing, and the teachers are great! My daughter made the honor roll and my son is doing well. The academics at this school is extremely challenging. My kids recieve a good amount of homework each night and they tell me that they are challenged in the classrooms as well. The school is also very diverse with; African Americans, Cacausians and Latino children in attendance. They all get along and there isn't any tension amongst the students. My daughter was accepted to Whitney Young H.S and we turned them down after visiting Ag. Why travel so far to Young when Ag is equally just as good and has the sports, activities and excellent academics. In addition, I love how small the school is, only 530 students, so your child will never lost or not be noticed by teachers. Lastly, Ag H.S does a excellent job with locating college scholarships for their graduates and providing a yearly college fair at the school. I am glad my kids were accepted to Ag High School.

Posted November 11, 2009

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 3

Posted October 10, 2009
I am the parent of a CHSAS student. I chose this school for my child based on good ratings in the past. Except for a handful of teachers, I found the teacher quality to be average. There are extracurricular activities offered. In my opinion, parent involvement is not encouraged--except on the literature handed out at beginning of year. I got the feeling that they really did not want to hear from us. Until earlier this year, there was no good good way for parents to stay informed about how their child was doing before report card day. The safety is pretty good. The discipline is okay, though at times overtly unfair. In the past year, the school has come under a new leadership. In my opinion, the school is on the skids, very cliqueish. I would urge parents to get a lot of recent info before deciding on this school.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences
3857 West 111th Street, Chicago, IL  60655
Last modified Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top