Chicago, IL

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 07, 2015
Smoke breaks during class....lets them play on phones during class. Once my child watched another student depants another....the teacher did nothing.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
You aren't required to do your homework or pass tests. The teacher asked who studied for test? 3 students said yes...teacher replied...guess we won't take that test. As you can see...they cater to the students who could care less, not the ones who wish to excel.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
No tolerance. Freshman got eggs thrown on them all spirit week and vegetable oil thrown on them...happens every year they say...don't you think there would be someone supervising the halls if they know this is a tradition?

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 1

Posted May 31, 2015
Inner city school brought to a nice neighborhood. Lot of fights, zero discipline and an apathetic principal who can't be truthful. No books for many classes, teachers out for weeks at a time and mist can't control the kids they are teaching. Pay the money and send kids to private schools.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 3

Posted October 02, 2014
i can't understand why this school does not provide books especially in critical areas, like math. can some explain to me why these kids are working from work sheets instead of a book. becuase of this, i can not rate this school high. the school is great in every other way. Fighting is up, wish the school can expel the problem kids (a handful, but the handful disrupt the whole). last a week a senior jumped on a freshman (something that started on the bus, according to my daughter). the senior was wrong and should be made an example of, there is no reason, none for jumping on a freshman, zilch.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 5

Posted April 03, 2014
Graduated in 2009 and CHSAS gave me scholarships and pushed me to apply and then later receive scholarships for college. Fortunately, I continued my higher education with agriculture at Illinois State University. I would say CHSAS is for the MOTIVATED "average student" and for the ABOVE average student. Every year CHSAS has more and more seniors getting accepted to Ivy League schools with scholarships....overall the school is safe, challenging , and EXTREMELY hands on.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 4

Posted March 29, 2014
I am currently a senior at CHSAS. The school in these past 4 years has been good. Before getting accepted to CHSAS, I had either the option of going to lane tech or bogan. I was waiting to see if I had another other accepting high schools, and that's when CHSAS had accepted me. There is a variety of sports now. I have participated in soccer, football, and volleyball. The sports are going up in competition, especially the volleyball teams. Academic wise, the classes are well. They leave homework almost every night, but not to the point where you are very stressed out. I am ready to graduate from CHSAS and start a new chapter in my life.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 5

Posted November 09, 2013
My daughter graduated from here, June 2013. She had a good time here. The school is for average students. A few honors and A.P classes are offered. Not too many sports or clubs. There aren't any fighting allowed nor gangs so the school is pretty safe. CHSAS is very diverse and small, only 500 students cap. My daughter is now a freshman at Western Illinois University and she is doing really well. Overall, the school fit her academic needs. If youhave a above average/gifted child, this isn't the school for them but if your child is average learner and you are looking fora diverse and safe school, then consider Ag Sciences.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 1

Posted April 19, 2013
This school need to expand because overpopulation of students and these students need to stop being so racist to one another, they need security outside after school to crack down the trouble teens plus this school need more activities and more sports to do after school.

Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences 4

Posted November 09, 2011
I was a student at CHSAS. The freshman teachers are great and help make the transition from 8th to 9th grade smooth. After that, students are on their own but are still babied by some teacher from time to time. Junior and senior year I still had some classes that wanted me to color for homework. I came to the school for the diversity mainly, and I was pleased that all the different ethnicities got along so well. The neighborhood is not a great place for minorities sometimes, but the school doesn't have any race related issues. It's hard for the small student body to be cliqueish, but it does happen. Everyone is relatively freindly, though. When I hear students who get accepted to REAL college prep schools (the school says it's a college prep, but the cirriculum is very easy to many) reject them and come CHSAS, I go crazy. The school is a great option for those who really don't have anywhere else to go, as I did, but if you are offered the opportunity to go to a much better school, take it. And the FFA is an absolutely wonderful organization, but they shove it down the students' throats at times. CHSAS is a great school, but needs to improve on some things to be better.

3857 West 111th Street, Chicago, IL  60655
Last modified Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top