South Loop Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 784 students

We are best known for diversity.

Posted September 30, 2008

I have had nothing but negative experiences with the principle and teachers. The Assistant Principle is nice and helpful. She also tries to help you when you or your child has a problem. Other than that, SLS seems to prioritize getting its funding and status at the cost of your childs education.

Posted September 13, 2008

My child attended the ECC, and she had an absolute great year. The ECC provided a great foundation for entering K, and she was reading and performing simple addition and subtraction in her preschool class. The teacher and aids were wonderful and nurturing, and we will miss them all. We hope to have another child at the ECC next year!

Posted August 3, 2008

I would recommend to every parent to stop by unexpectedly in the middle of the day at ECC (the tuition based pre school program for children ages 3-5) to check on the quality of the care and service provided. It has been very frustrating for me.

Posted May 25, 2008

I am a parent of a 4th grade child in the Gifted Program. I must agree with the post of July 19th, 2007. I believe the school has much to offer and has come a long way. However, the gifted program has alot more to change if it is to truly accomodate the needs of 'gifted children'. I would catagorize it as 'enrichment' for smart and hardworking kids. The students are given a ton of work, photocopied out of teaching manuals, maybe, at most, one grade ahead. Not 'gifted education'. When a gifted child masters something, they crave to learn more. Not repetitive work of something they already 'get'. It would seem that the school should model their program after Lenart Academy who seem to really understand gifted educaction and their students. Too bad, as the school has alot of parent involovement.

Posted April 14, 2008

Great School, Great Principal, Great Teachers, Great Before and after School Program, Great Parents, Beautiful Neighborhood next to Great Park, Recess, Art, Music, Gym, Library time, Tae-Kwando, Soccer, Scouts, fun homework and an excellent Gifted Program. :)

Posted March 31, 2008

Luckily I see more then most parents as I volunteer for many activities to stay current with what is happening at South Loop. I see discipline. Better than what we had in the suburbs (in a good school district). Maybe the teachers are harder on those in the higher grade levels, but when you see what I see, its warranted. Maybe they do not get it at home and so South Loop has to use it. As far as school work, I feel that the teachers do an excellent job. Not perfect by any means, but a good job and the test scores are improving all the time. When I worked at a suburban school, cramming for ISATS was the norm. So blame the state, not the teachers. I believe that South Loop is getting better everyday. Instead of being negative, volunteer!!!

Posted March 27, 2008

South loop school is not really a good place to send your child that much because my son says that the teachers are not telling the students things that they should know ahead of time.For example the grades for the science fair for 2008 my son still has not gotten his grade. Fights break out all of the time,student bathrooms are dirty at points,and students break the rules.The parents are also not kept imformed.The students say that the principle is mean to some of the children in 6-8th grade.The acadimics are not that challenging either.South Loop Elementary pretty much stays the same year after year

Posted March 23, 2008

I see minimal, if any, learning going on and have not over the years. For the first half of the school year, the teacher spent the vast majority of each day complaining to the students about a discipline problem. Not all subjects are covered daily . . . ever -- maybe math all day one day, dealing with discipline problems another day, and reading all day another. If you make a complaint, you are treated as the enemy. A month before the ISAT, students were being crammed with material that they should have been taught all year. Parents are not kept informed. I have received all of five graded papers all year long! No emphasis placed on academics but all stops pulled out for a PreK-8 grade dance and hoopla over a fence. I used to think it would get better but year after year, it has remained the same.

Posted March 4, 2008

My child has been at South Loop for a number of years now. We have been pleased overall with the education and programs offered by the school. No school is perfect, but the reality is South Loop is one of the best schools out there. I would recommend the school to family who want a school that offeres you a great mix of kids and a good solid education. Looking back I would not change sending my child to South Loop.

Posted February 5, 2008

I am a parent who just recently enrolled my kindergarten daughter at the South Loop School. So far I have been very disappointed. The office staff is not friendly at all. When we first arrived to enroll my daughter it felt as if we were an annoyance at the end of their day. There was no welcome package of any kind. We had to ask where we would drop off and pick up our daughter. We had to ask for a list of school supplies. We had to ask about lunches. We didn't even realize there was a school uniform until we noticed a student walking by. The staff is completely rude and unflexible. We've had more run ins with them that won't fit on this page. It's sad because the teacher seems to be okay at this point and my daughter likes her school.

Posted January 3, 2008

Unfortunately we had to pull our child out of this school/program. It just wasn't challenging enough, however it is good for mainstream learners.

Posted November 30, 2007

I'm a kindergarten mom as well. My daughter also attended the ECC last year. So far I have been very happy with the school and it's programs. My child is also reading and doing math. Her teacher is great and she also brings homework home once a week. The only downfall I see at times is that the principal and sometimes the office staff are not very friendly. I suppose a 'goodmorning' when I drop my daughter off in the mornings or a 'goodnight' in the evenings would suffice. I do not want that sort of attitude to rub off on the young impressionable children.

Posted November 30, 2007

My child is in kindergarden this year and attended the S Loop Pre K last year as well. We have been very pleased thus far. The teachers have been great, the administration has been engaged and effective and our involvement as parents has been welcomed and satisfying!!

Posted November 26, 2007

The education at this school is excellent. Parent politics and some issues with students keep it from receiving a higher score.

Posted October 12, 2007

I'm a Kindergarten mom. I don't have any comments at this point since its too early in the year. What I will say however is that her teacher is great and she brings home homework once a week and creative drawings and art work daily. She is reading and writing. So far so good!

Posted October 4, 2007

I agree with the last poster, My child was in the EEC too. Though only for one year she was always coming home with project she had made in pre school. Her class room was filled with art. The playdough was always out at activity time. Markers and paper were plentiful. Books were everywhere in my daughter's classroom, songs were always sung. It was truly a wonderful time in my child's life. Even today a year later, we were reminiscing through a photo book her teacher made for her at the end of the year. Needless to say we have many great memories. I am still in contact with her pre-k teacher.

Posted September 24, 2007

As a 2nd year parent of the tuition based pre-k program, I'd have to say the school is moving in the wrong direction. The lead teachers are good but are overworked and many of the assistant teachers lack creativity. I would give it a score of 6 out of 10. Where is art? clay? Painting? Parents are strongly encouraged to leave the teachers alone!.

Posted July 19, 2007

My child was in the so-called gifted program, testing far beyond the 99%. This school hasn't a clue how to meet the needs of truly gifted, most administrators, teachers and parents don't understand the true meaning of gifted. It's more than just higher learning.

Posted July 4, 2007

I'm not happy with the education my child received during his two years at SL. I feel that I made a mistake by enrolling him in the neighborhood program, despite warnings from neighbors an friends. I am in a position to pay private school tuition, but I am a believer in public education. This school has no real programs. What exists exists for the sake of appearance and making the principal look good. Where is teh fine arts? Where are the performances and celerations of the children? I am limited in space or I would elaborate about my frustrations. I feel the principal and the administration made me false promises when I enrolled my child. He will be going to a charter school next year.

Posted June 22, 2007

The academic programs have ceilings and the curriculum does not have the breadth or depth to meet the needs of all students. There are behavior problems in many of the classrooms.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students64%

Low income52%
Non-low income92%
Students without disabilities82%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

Black82%
Whiten/a
Students without disabilities86%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
German
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Academic Improvement Award (2007)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Tara Safonia Shelton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number