Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 21, 2015
Teachers are disrespectful and rude. They favor "smarter" kids in the class and put them on a pedestal. Others are put down by their race. My favorite teacher was Mr. Coppula by far he was the best teacher in this school he had a very innovative way of teaching the curriculum. While others just read out of a book. Homework assignments were all from the internet or the textbook/workbook. I've been denied helped countless times which resulted in poor grade. My questions have also been had "eye rolled" at and i've been portrayed as "stupid" because somethings I don't catch on as fast as others.

South Loop Elementary School 1

Posted July 21, 2015
I wish I could give this school less than one star. The school is filthy, trash on the floor, milk on the stairs, and even pieces on chicken! There has been times where I came home crying from being bullied my weight and my physical appearence. The children use fowl language (and teachers do not care one bit) and i've seen people being bullied everyday. The principal FORCED children to donate over $30 for a "fun run" and if you didn't you were taken away from basic privilages. We were forced to go outside in negative temps. The bathrooms are the most fowl things i've ever seen in my life. The mirrors are so musty that you can't even see yourself in the mirror. I've never seen the bathroom be cleaned before and there is even pieces of weave in the sink. The school is extremely small and they don't have enough classrooms to even teach the kids in. We were taught in the hallway, the little theater and the part I am going to tell you may shock you we were taught IN A STORAGE ROOM. 6th period was held in the lunch room everyday for a year and we sat at tables of crunched up hot cheetos, milk, and chicken. The staff never cleaned up before we were taught in it. The whole class would have to all grab a wet, milk filled, non-reusable, but still reused wet towelette everyday. These often distracted the children from learning and in total used up about 2 full weeks of learning time (10 min) everyday during class. Kids have been touched in private areas and have been made sexual advances at. Kids play dirty truth or dare DURING class while the teacher is doing whatever. I have witnessed girls crying because teachers told them they can't wear certain clothing pieces that were not purposfully meant to enhance certain features. This shows teachers and staff over sexualize 12-14 year olds. Students talk about doing inappropriate things to girls while inappropriate gestures and then called a "thot". In conclusion do not send your child to this school unless you want a 9 month long year of suffering

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 09, 2015
Homework is busy work, and minimally helpful, and the children are shamed, by having to stand up and change their behavior card from green, which is good, to yellow, which is a warning. It's demoralizing and hurtful, not to mention the teacher uses a behavior chart for homework processes

South Loop Elementary School 1

Posted June 09, 2015
My daughter is finishing up 1st grade, on the heels of a horrendous kindergarten experience. Her teacher, who claims she must keep her "strict" reputation, has all but crushed my daughter's passion for education. The teacher is mean, the administration (and teacher) are dismissive and disrespectful, the school is unbelievably filthy - we routinely visit our pediatrician due to rashes and infections from the toilets, there has not been a language teacher or curriculum all year, and the resulting stress on my daughter and the family is not what I had read about or planned for a start to my young child's educational journey.

South Loop Elementary School 3

Posted August 15, 2014
I am disappointed in the behavior of the principal of South Loop. Several friends in the neighborhood have spoken with her and have been met with less than enthusiastic responses from the principal when inquiring about their child attending the school. One incident in particular, she was not very nice to a friend that lives in the neighborhood who wanted to register her grandson because he lives with her. She almost insinuated that my friend was lying about the child living in the zone. She then asked her several questions which I felt was inappropriate. During their conversation, A Caucasian man came in and the principal's whole attitude changed with him. It is sad that she may be showing parents signs of reverse prejudice against her own race. I would really hope that is not the case, but my friend was very offended. South Loop overall seems to have a good reputation, but the principal may need to check her attitude/prejudices at the door.

Posted April 08, 2014
I live in the neighborhood and have children in both the Gifted and Neighborhood programs. The teachers and atmosphere in both programs throughout the school are excellent and individualized for students' needs. The parent community is involved and the administration is helpful. As the school transitions to an all neighborhood school, South Loop will continue to improve as the caliber of parents and students attending is very education-minded, high-acheiving and engaged.

South Loop Elementary School 2

Posted March 23, 2014
My experience as well as my child's experience at this school has consistently been sub-par. The Administration needs an intervention asap. Smiles to your face but can be rude and has poor follow-up. Huge bullying problem amongst students and staff. I have witnessed Administration yelling at children. Academic and social enrichment is important amongst this age group. Unfortunately, this school is greatly lacking social/emotional support of the students.

South Loop Elementary School 3

Posted March 22, 2014
We have a child in Kindergarten. Teacher is pleasant, friendly. Administration not pleasant, dare I say rude? Defensive? Kid has fun, but there is no challenge -- homework seems preschool level and uninspired -- all workbook pages, no differentiation...cookie cutter. Kid is not challenged to exceed normal Kindergarten levels which we feel is a waste of time, kid has much more potential than this. Having to supplement from home. Disappointed. We expected a better experience and better academics.

Posted November 09, 2013
Where do the graduates from this school, attend high school? im just wondering before i enroll my kiddos. Thanks!

Posted October 08, 2013
South Loop is a wonderful school. From the parents, most teachers, programs and after school options - all wonderful. As a working mom, I appreciate that my child is able to participate in many activities such as drama, Choir, dance, band, piano, yoga, and even cooking classes. South Loop has something for everyone. Rather than feeling guilty about leaving her in after-school, I'm grateful that she is gaining exposure to experiences( cultural, academic, and extracurricular) that will help shape her in to a responsible, independent, and open minded adult. I'm confident that my child is receiving a quality education while being exposed to real life diversity and cultural differences. As for the negative comments on Ms. Shelton, I don't get it. She is always approachable, knows my daughters name, grades and has taken an interest to make sure she is challenged. I'm really not sure what more could be expected.

1212 South Plymouth Court, Chicago, IL  60605
Last modified South Loop Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Loop Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 100 reviews. Top