Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center 4

Posted October 26, 2013
Continuing of lenart... Teachers each have their own personalities and teaching styles, with some being more effective teachers than others. The music department only has one "Do-it-all" guy. yes, he does a good job in placing in competitions but when it comes down to learning the fundamentals of music, he falls FLAT (lol). He manages many different bands and a choir, but he seems to favor some over the others. he isn't exactly the nicest person, but he does do A LOT for Lenart. The science teacher has been given the duty to teach boht science and social studies. she is a excellent science teacher, often teaching things above and beyond the textbook, but has to in a way, trim down her usual work to be able to cope with teaching 3 grade levels, two subjects. The math teacher...she's something. you learn to love her, if she doesn't like you, then you're kinda stuck. she teaches math well, but when I was in her class I sorta just learned something and then forgot it after the test. that's kinda why i'm re-taking algebra. She does help you, as long as you take the initiative to come speak to her, which is really smart, since that is what high school is revolved around, self-initiative.

Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center 3

Posted September 10, 2013
I was very optimistic about Lenart, but find that the teachers lack enthusiasm and the curriculum is uninspiring. I wish I saw the kids more excited about learning - as gifted students, there should be MANY MORE opportunities to showcase their talents outside the traditional classroom, as well as to gain leadership experience.

Posted September 01, 2013
Lenart Elementary is an Excellent school, if you want your child to be taught the fundamentals and NOT drilled just for test taking purposes Lenart is the place. The Principal, teachers, and parents are all about the students and ensuring they receive the best fundamental education. My daughters thirst for knowledge is being sated and challenged and I have learned some new things from her along the way. The school is very culturally diverse which is another plus in my opinion. Lenart can and will improve just like other schools with more funding. I have found the Principal to be very open to any and all suggestions regarding improving the school on all levels. This is a new year and my family is looking forward to the new journey this school year will bring.

Posted August 28, 2013
Is the new principal good for Lenart, that remains in the balance. The new principal last year (2012) created a power point presentation about Lenarts performance over the past 5 years or so. She stated our scores could be better. She said that the exiting principal and assistant principal did a good job, but the results could be higher. When a new principal with no experience in gifted teaching or leading a school of gifted students brings out a power point presentation with statistics, she will now be watched closely by many Lenart parents regarding performance. How can a someone who has not been at Lenart know how the school functions? The last time I checked, Lenart is in the Top 6 elementary schools in the state for more than 7 years and its only GOOD. So what is her goal? Since her start 2012, no Science Fairs, Speech Fairs, and other events to recognize Lenart students. She is changing things when they were working well. Lastly, she is not approachable in comparison to the last principal. Some parents have discussed that when they enter the main office, she makes eye contact from her desk, and does not acknowledge them. Oops, she is a principal. So far, no stats for 2013.

Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center 4

Posted August 13, 2013
My child has been at Lenart for a few years. I am optimistic about the new administration. Ms. Sims is young and very intelligent, however I wonder if she is experienced enough to be an effective instructional leader. Last year, the programming implemented for the additional hour of school was absolutely senseless! Basically the students did their homework or simply wasted away the time. I will be very interested in seeing the ISAT scores. As several parents indicated, Lenart needs to be more transparent. Overall, this school is easily above average. However, what remains unclear is whether this is simply because of the high performing students enrolled, or the result of exceptional instructional programming and delivery.

Posted April 23, 2013
We have been part of the Lenart community for the past couple years and we are loving that decision. We are kindly greeted and everyone knows my child by name (perks of a small school). We were fearful that attending this school was going deprive our child of a childhood, but it's a perfect balance (even with the commute & longer school day). My child enjoys this school and is challenged...he knows no other way. For those reviews complaining about the administration; that was the old. The new admin team started this year and has set even higher goals...continuing to make this school one of the best in the state of IL. Very pleased with where they want to take the school and how they continue to educate their teachers on how to differentiate instruction and make their practice even better. I too was concerned about the no recess, but now YES THEY HAVE RECESS! We have no doubt our child is receiving the best education! Before this we sent our child to a private school and the curriculum does even come close to that of Lenart's.

Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center 2

Posted August 21, 2012
My daughter has attended Lenart for 3 years & is an honor roll student; I am considering removing her. The school is wonderful academically in that the kids work at their level & are kept interested. My two greatest complaints are that the admin is horrible & the kids are spoiled. The atmosphere & administration of the past several years has not been very welcoming to parents. I hope with the change in principal there will be a shift in attitudes towards all parents. I hope that we are all welcome even if we are not the Parent Club president or Friend of Lenart Chair. As parents, we all should have pride in our kids and wish them nothing but the best, but there is a difference between setting our kids up with unrealistic expectations and preparing them for the future. I've heard several teachers and administrators tell our kids that they are "the best of the best," "future doctors, lawyers, judges," "the smartests kids around..." etc. What happens when that kid reaches their first obstacle? What happens when that kid actually wants to be a starving artist? What happens when that kid interacts with kids from other schools who are not up to their level?

Posted June 24, 2012
There is a very strong focus on academics and this school knows what it takes to motivate children to learn and accelerate. The teachers are outstanding. For the future, I hope there will be more time for recess and arts.

Posted August 29, 2011
My son is entering first grade and we absolutely love Lenart! We have found the teachers, principal, assistant principal, and counselor to be extremely accessible, engaged, and dedicated to the students. It is an academically intense program but we have felt that our son has been very supported by everyone at the school. He can't wait for school to begin again this year!

Posted March 21, 2011
I have two children at Lenart. For the first time in their lives they are challenged and loving it. The children at Lenart are motivated and ambitious - they love to learn. Very few discipline problems, if any, as a result. We love the fact they are learning French and Latin. They work a solid two grade levels ahead, the pace is very accelerated. Don't apply if you child can't work at a very fast pace. Because of the fast paced environment parental involvement is really important and mandatory for your child to succeed. This does not mean that parents are doing all of the homework - what it means is that you have to be engaged with your child while they are doing homework and be available to answer questions about the instructions. The environment is nurturing, the front office staff is welcoming and lovely. The Principal is always around, and always talking to parents - she does not hide in her office like other schools that we have experienced. In fourth grade the children have departmentals so they move every period from one class to another. The Social Studies teacher is amazing - every teacher is excellent.

Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center
8101 South La Salle Street, Chicago, IL  60620
Last modified Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lenart Elementary Regional Gifted Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top