Posted September 11, 2013
I feel that this is an excellent school. I have raised my children in this neighborhood since 1991 when the school opened for 1-8th graders. My 4th and last child graduates this year. She's been an honor student with high test scores, like my other 3 (3rd child away at college now on scholarships).Every school can be improved, even the high score ones & I feel this school needs to listen not only to the parents but get feed back from the children (which they don't do).The after school programs are excellent. My child is in their band program, funded by a large grant used for more instruments, individual lessons & more instructors.Carson has homework help, after-school tutoring, dance & sports, along with constant new educational programs that have been introduced to the kids learning environment. I'll admit the staff sometimes lacks in bedside manners & sometimes even commonsense,but they are after all human & I'm sure they'll work on their disposition and attentiveness towards parental concerns. But for the most part this is a very good (and so-far, safe) school for my child's education & well being. A parent shouldn't be upset with 1 teacher and down rate the whole school for it.

Posted July 03, 2013
Absolutely awful school! This school was once a great school, but sadly that is no longer the case. Test scores are not everything, but that's all this school worries about. My daughter was fine until she hit the 3rd grade and they started teaching the test to prepare for the ISAT. The office staff is super rude to parents and the principal is never available to talk. Plus, the upper grades are full of gang banging boys. My kids will not be back next year.

Posted May 01, 2013
What is a ban dada? If you mean "vendetta" then I think you need to look at administration. They are really incompetent and unprofessional. Parents and teachers and students at Carson are treated like criminals. Not a safe place for my children so they are at Talman instead.

Posted May 07, 2012
As I looked at the review from 06/22/11 it seems that the person who wrote this comment obviously has his/her facts wrong since the school has not been at a downturn. The school s scores keep on going up. If you compare the scores from the schools surrounding the neighborhood you would see that it has the highest ISAT scores and attendance rate in the area. Being a nice teacher does not equal being an effective teacher or that the teacher has his/her credentials required by the state. Turnover of the school happens in good schools too especially if seeking superior teachers is the goal to teach students not just teachers who give good grades based on whether the mother gets along with the teacher. As far as the clerks are concern, I cannot imagine any parent waiting 10 minutes without being acknowledge. If you find it strange that a principal is always in the other building than you obviously did not want to talk to him because you could have requested to talk to him or simply walked to the other building. It is clear that this person has a ban dada after the principal (Maybe a person who has been let go for incompetency?)

Posted June 22, 2011
Looking at the reviews of the school, it is apparent that the current principal is the cause of the school's downturn. He took over in 2005 and since then, the school has taken a drastic turn for the worse - the dates of the reviews confirms this. My son and daughter both go to the school and each time they rave about a teacher, the next year that teacher is gone because she disagreed with the principal. It is clear that the principal manages his staff poorly just by looking at the turn over rate of the teachers. The ones that remain are incompetent and treat the parents poorly. I have gone to the school and waited at the office counter for at least 10 minutes before the clerk looks up from her computer to acknowledge me. I also find it strange that the principal is always in "the other building" when parents need to speak with him. Parents, please be advised that this school is not parent friendly.

Posted February 10, 2011
My Daughter has been in this school since kindergarten,now shes in 2nd gr, and she missed 3 wks of class because of a death in our family. I called and left a message to let them know. they contacted my father and he let them know wnat was going on. when she return she was no longer enroll in the school. According to them SOMEONE told them that she was no longer coming back to the united states. so i had to re-register her. So i started the process which now 2months later they havent accepted her back. I called the principal and left a message which i havent heard back, i just called today, and the secretary wasnt able to tell me what time i could reach him Staff in this school need to start doing their job.

Posted April 27, 2010
the truth this school has no type of parent teacher relationship!!! office staff is always unwilling to hear or help!! you cant write a letter or call to speak to a teacher!! (at least the last couple of teachers my daughter has had!) my daughter has been there for two years and i still havent had a chance to speak to anyone!! to top it off im still waiting for one of the teachers call from last year!!

Posted July 25, 2008

Posted May 26, 2004
- a former student
Through out all of my chldhood life (K-8) I went to Carson Elem. This school is greatest because there, there was always someone who I could talk to about any of my problems. The teachers there are very nice and so is the rest of the staff and faculty. Another thing I liked about the school was it had a lot of extracurricular programs for children. After school tutoring was for kids that needed help with their homework which I think is a good thing because children have a hard time learning and it's a good way of helping them.

Posted March 09, 2004
I am a parent of three children, they have all attended Carson school. I think very highly of its staff, faculty and administrators. So much so that for many years I have been considering relocating to another area of the city but the quality of this school has kept me from doing so. Not only my husband and I know with certainty about the quality of Carson school but our children have also insisted on finishing their primary studies at Carson. This is a school that is out of the ordinary not only in its curriculum but also in their day to day contact with students and parents. Students can easily feel comfortable approaching the school staff with problems, concerns, or what ever they may have in mind. Parents are encourage to stay up to date on the particulars of the school. They can also very easily contact their childrens teachers for what ever concerns they may have. The schools' principal is very visible and very approachable, parents can easily communicate with her and she will personally take care of their concerns or listen to their suggestions. I am and will always be proud to be involve with such a school.

Carson Elementary School
5516 South Maplewood Avenue, Chicago, IL  60629
Last modified Carson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top