Chicago, IL

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted June 15, 2015
There have been a lot of incidents with bulling to the point they had to have a classroom discussions with all the students, honestly that is lack thereof from the parents, it has to be taught at home.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 15, 2015
Some of the staff are very caring, but it should be all, I have had to many disappointments, the bad outweighs the good in this situation unfortunately.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 15, 2015
My kids are not on the level they should be at. I do my part, I expect for the school to do theirs.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 15, 2015
For several months my son who is in the 6th grade has not brought home any homework, I have asked them to give it directly to me, give it to his other siblings, maybe set up his own mail box in the office, because my son has extrem behavior and emotional issues (bipolar disorder) he will refuse to do his work, but I feel the school and I should work together, instead the continually dropped the ball, the keep giving him the homework, only for him to destroy it, but quick to point the finger, that's not acceptable.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 15, 2015
There is clear bullying to non Hispanic children involved, and parents, they cater to the Hispanics way more, even in school meetings they talk in Spanish and often fail to have someone translate for us that only speak English, sorry but that is very rude and needs to be fixed as soon as possible!

Posted June 15, 2015
As a parent you expect for quality education, especially since now in Chicago you are pretty much forced to send your child to whatever school is in your district, otherwise you would have to do private, but not every family is financially able to have that option, I being one of them, prior to my children attending McAuliffe, my children attended a very good elementary school, but unfortunately I moved out of that schools district, to speed things up, I started to notice my youngest child wasn't at the level she should be at half way through the school year, I realize you can't compare children, but the lack of work they had her doing most certainly played a major role, upon leaving that grade my child had not reached the reading level she should have been at, compared to my older children when they were at her age, not only did this affect my youngest, my son also had no progress from the year before, to me that is not a coincidence, but bad teaching from this school, my oldest son whom suffers from extreme behavior and emotional issues, one including Bipolar disorder, clearly has difficulty in the classroom, I requested an IEP, but the school refused me one, not one to take no for an answer, I contacted my schools network, only to find out that if a parent request an IEP the school must honor it, it wasn't until the person over their school told them to move forward with it. It's now year 2 and my son has had two meetings to adjust his IEP because they continue to not meet his needs , they suspend him, have called the cops on him, because they failed to do their part. At the beginning of this school year my son's doctor wrote a recommendation that he be placed in a therapeutic school, (they said they would honor it if recommend) but the school refused to refer him there, however they continue to suspend him, I have found a therapeutic school that is willing to take on my child, has on site doctors, and therapists whom can best meet his needs, because McAuliffe do not have my child's best interest in heart, they prolong the steps needed to be taken, in order to get him where he needs to be. On top of that they are very rude, don't treat parents with respect, make us stand outside in the rain and cold, but don't dismiss children on time, I have had enough, if you can avoid sending your child to this school please do, it's beyond sad.

Posted August 05, 2013
This school has had a series of misfortune with its administrators. The current principal held a lot of promise. Completely unprofessional and no behavior managment in place for the students. The kids are so out of control and he rather bully her staff than ever correct a child. If students and parents do not respect their principal, they also won't respect the teachers either. This is a BIG problem. The nice looks of a school does not reflect how it truly is on the inside. Any school can change for the good, but with this principal, its just more of the same; a hostile work environment and burned out teachers. She really fooled her new staff. Good thing is, that Chicago has better options than this school. This one is a mess!

Mcauliffe Elementary School 2

Posted August 05, 2013
I went to the school as a child and now my kids go there. We have challenges in the community, but one thing we want is that the people who teach our kids are being respected and not belittled by their principal or whoever is in charge (for the time being). The principal seems to fear parents and their complaints so she lets the kids do what they want. We got letters about a new PBIS thing and I don't see it working. kids running out at dismissal, they can hurt the little ones and the principal just plays like she don't see anything. She just wants the paycheck but doesn't seem to truly push the kids to the next level. THAT IS HER JOB!!! yes she tried to say that she got rid of the other teachers as a "reform" thing in reality they just left! vry smart, I wonder how many of the teacher will come back next year. Try Funston or ANY other school in the network. If the principal can't handle this small school, find another person, even the Vice principal seems better.

Posted December 27, 2012
What that principal did to McAulliffe is a travesty. There is a reason HALF of the staff left after her first year in 2011-2012, even the AP she hired! The principal lacks leadership. She's an alpha-male. A good leader builds strength of others & an environment of trust & community. The school had a leadership team prior to her arrival. She belittled their voices. She YELLS at her staff. Her lack of respect & leadership skills are a recipe for disaster. If she focused less on being seen as the boss-man, she'd realize not replying to parent & staff emails & ignoring students who need special support are ignored. She went an entire year w/o holding an RTI meeting! How many students fell through the cracks last year? This principal wants a submissive & malleable staff. I'm sure she replaced the staff with new teachers; they're cheaper & naive. I hope they know a bully when they see one. She's disrespectful & the definition of a bully. She's passive-agressive, then someone questions her & she attacks. Any pleasantries you see are not genuine. She succumbed to the disgusting ways of CPS leadership. As a parent, I recommend you find a school with a better leader, not this dictator.

Posted November 15, 2012
the PRINCIPAL IS VERY disconnected with US parents.Also the PRINCIPAL needs to take BULLY more serious,Me as a parent say there is a lot of improving to do...i really can't saY the same for the PRINCIPAL ASSISTANT now he should become the the PRINCIPAL.He does take care of business....

1841 North Springfield Avenue, Chicago, IL  60647
Last modified Mcauliffe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcauliffe Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top