Posted September 09, 2013
My children's school is great. My 2 older children graduated from this school are now in college and still remember teachers and the principal at that time with warm memories. My son currently attends and he needs extra help the teachers all assist and make sure to try and make it a productive day for my big guy. Communication from the school has always been very good . The school encourages parents to become involved and offer classes I just saw this year to help the 5th-8th graders with Science Projects. Another positive I like about the school is all the different races in one school.- it helps them see different ways, different faces, different foods but yet all the same. They are all boys and girls with the same ideas, passions, dreams, struggles and no one is all by themselves. I love my children's school and would recommend it for anyone.

Posted August 04, 2013
Galileo doesn't get the credit it deserves for its dedicated staff. It has a small community feeling that makes children feel welcomed and it promotes learning and social skills. There is room for improvement in grades 5th - 8th, but the primary grades can compete with any of the "best" North side CPS schools.

Posted April 26, 2013
My child has had a fabulous Kindergarten year. She loves school, has developed into a fluent reader, asks me to quiz her on math problems for fun and is very excited about her science project. The school strikes the right balance for a well-rounded kindergarten curriculum with art, PE, library, computer science, spanish and science lab. I don't like to emphasize test scores too much but scores at the school are extremely respectable - especially when you take into account that family income is often one of the greatest predictors of results on standardized testing. Teachers and other parents I have met are fabulous and I appreciate the emphasis on keeping class size small and offering many special classes. The principal reports that many of their 8th graders are able to test out of freshman algebra and their graduates get into high schools of choice. A few things could still use some polishing (a near empty website) and I am still trying to find the best way to get involved and support the school. Galileo wasn't my first choice during the application process, but I am extremely satisfied to end up here. They don't do lots of outreach and marketing but don't overlook this school.

Posted April 04, 2013
this school is in an hispanic community.i loved subbing at this school .as a black man i thought this was going to be hard but the kids were easy to get along with.nice working class community too!

Posted August 24, 2012
I was so excited my daughter got into this school in time for her to start 3rd grade! My daughter was wait-listed at #9 and they called me the last Thursday in July to tell me she got in! For 5 years I paid 6K of my 22K salary to send her to Catholic school because all of the schools in my neighborhood had test scores in the 20s, 30s, & 40 percentile ranking which meant not only were the kids not learning much but it means the schools are filled with behavioral issues I would not ever want my daughter to be exposed to! Since arriving at Galileo last fall, her math score went from a 56% to 89% & reading from 70% to 83% and I am sooo happy about that! It shouldn't be so hard to get a quality free education!!

Posted February 21, 2012
I currently am an 8th grader at Galileo and have been there since preschool. I would have to say that the teachers and staff here are so dedicated so the success of the students. The only problems I have with the school are some of the students. The Majority of them are good, about 90%, but there are those "problems" which you will find every where you go. Certain students are disrespectful but are not bad kids at all. The only other problem is that I wish there was more of a mix of races among the students as it is about 80% Hispanic. Besides those slight problems I feel that Galileo is one of the best schools in the city. I just don't think it gets the respect it deserves compared to competing schools like Jackson or Skinner. I feel that Galileo has prepared me for High School and for life.

Posted August 24, 2011
Because it is so close to Jackson and Skinner (and now STEM) I think Galileo's accomplishments often get overlooked. From what I've gathered from test results and talking to fellow parents Galileo is an EXCELLENT place for your child to begin their education, and the new principle is working with teachers and parents to make it even better. Class size in the 5th grade classrooms when children begin departmental instruction has been reduced to 20 students. A new science teacher has been brought on board (don't worry, they're keeping Ms. Economou!), and they now have a dedicated reading tutor too.

Posted September 23, 2010
Our kids are 1st and K and they love Galileo! The atomospher is very friendly and they show academic progress. Teachers are great and pay attention to each students. I saw the comment of racism, but our kids are minorities and they don't see any discrimination. We chose Galileo over Jackson Academy and it was a good choice!

Posted February 26, 2010
My experience with Galileo has been great. My child's teacher bends over backwards to help out every student. The staff has always been professional and friendly with our family. The science teacher Ms. Economo is so friendly and fun. I wish I could go back to school just for her Science class! All the teachers from technology, library and gym seem to be engaged with the students. It is a good feeling to have confidence in your children's school.

Galileo Elementary Math & Sci Schol Acd 2

Posted February 17, 2010
My child is currently attending Galileo and his experience has been a difficult one. As a parent I do not feel welcome at the school and my child has been made to feel less than successful. I also do not feel that the school is open to the accomplishments of all races when it comes to celebrating the ethnicities of all students. It appears to be geared exclusively to students of Hispanic heritage. Sensitivity training would be helpful here for the faculty, since it is majority hispanic and white with only 2 black teachers.

Galileo Elementary Math & Sci Schol Acd
820 South Carpenter Street, Chicago, IL  60607
Last modified Galileo Elementary Math & Sci Schol Acd is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Galileo Elementary Math & Sci Schol Acd Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.