Chicago, IL

Charles J Sahs Elementary School 1

Posted May 21, 2013
I lived in Sahs for many years, left and returned a few times. I have to say this use to be a really nice area but now it is so over crowded. My sons class is pretty big and there is not much attention given to students who speak English well and can coast through the school year. To many multi-familys living in single family homes here. The school is over crowded, the teacher's are to busy teaching basic language skills to most students to give the excellent individual teaching they use to. It is so sad what has happened to this area. We plan on moving our son to a private school for 3rd grade.

Posted February 14, 2013
We strive for excellence at our School, Things have changed a lot and the Government telling us what programs we have to implement at our school, It is a chore for the teachers as well, We cannot please all parents and things aren't what they use to be, I being here for a major long time too, seen the changes of neighborhood, people, and don't like change either but, it happens and we have to do what is beneficial for the children to help for their future. I moved out for a year and came right back, because you won't find a better school. Now my Grandchildren are attending school here, we also have a school website on Facebook with all our Graduates on there.

Charles J Sahs Elementary School 1

Posted February 11, 2013
I come from a long line of Sahs graduates (dating back almost 50 years). When I graduated from Sahs (late 90's) I always looked forward to my girls attending as well. My oldest went to pre-k and I loved the teacher (Ms. O'Neill) she was extremely good with the kids and lover her students. We were sad to see her go. Now in K I've noticed a lot of issues with the school. One is they are beyond over-crowded. 27+ kids to a class with ONE teacher and a shared aide between two classes his just horrible. The school is using accelerated reader programs which in my opinion forces kids to read. What happened to reading being enjoyable? A kindergarten child should not be forced to read to meet star points. Children should enjoy stories, not rush through them to take a test. My daughter loved reading until this program. Now she sees it as a chore. Sahs has gone down the drain. They have way to many kids, teachers dont care and yes I've spoken to the principle who doesn't seem to care either. As much as I loved this neighborhood growing up I can not wait to move away before it drags my children down and dont even get me started on the lack of help for special ED kids. Its a joke!

Charles J Sahs Elementary School 0

Posted January 09, 2009
My Children, nieces and nephews attend Sahs and love it. Yes, we have a huge family living in a 'single family home' (paying taxes like all) and we truly appriciate being able to attend such a well rounded school. God Bless America!

Posted September 02, 2008

Posted August 30, 2008
My whole family has gone to this school from any aunts and uncle to my nieces and nephew and now my child. The staff and the Teachers are the best!!!! The school is like no other and I am proud my child will get her start in life there. The PTA also does a big part in the school with all they do for the children. The only down side is all the multi families living in single family homes all so their kids can go to this school for free. The school is getting over crowded and with that comes less attention to the students. The average class at this school has 25 kids in it with one teacher per class..

Posted June 24, 2008
My son has been in Sahs for 2 full years and he loves it. And now my other son is going to start K and I hope he loves it too. My opinion this school is great and all the teachers are great with each student. And what I like this school uses Assignment Books this help the parents to know what the kids need to do each night. Overall is a great school.

Posted March 17, 2008
My son has been going to sahs school for two years and he loves it and i like the fact that the staff and teachers are friendly and willing to go out of their way for their students.

Charles J Sahs Elementary School 0

Posted October 10, 2007
My daughter just starting going to this school last year and i just love how great the teachers are. And how they really make the students learn to be responisible.

Posted October 08, 2007
My kids just started attending Sachs this years and I am extremely happy. Teachers are very strict and kids now a days need that in school.The after school programs are outstanding which include the reading program, eagle hour (homework help) and also swimming lesson. We are very pleased with this school.

Charles J Sahs Elementary School
5001 South Long Avenue, Chicago, IL  60638
Last modified Charles J Sahs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles J Sahs Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top