No rating

St Sabina Academy

Private | PK-8 | 295 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Sweep tile

Posted November 9, 2013

St. Sabina has fallen below the community expectations in so many ways. It's amazing how they pretend to empower the community, but they don't welcome parents as partners. There are no real scholarships prior to your children starting class, they treat you as if they are bill collectors instead of educators and will sit your child out side until they have received money. In exchange for your hard earned money, you are not expected to ask questions or challenge the norm. Just send your children and hope for the best. Children often slip through the crack here. There have been numerous inadequate teachers who affect the children's learning ability and self-esteem and the school administrator doesn't see it as a problem. The constant problem here is not enough resources, too many new teachers, and too much nepotism. They don't reach out to parents for help, just MONEY. Don't send your child here to receive a competitive education, but rather an attitude and excuses. My Child has been on principal scholar here since, 2009, but I want him to be prepared for a better future. Don't believe the MEDIA HYPE! Once they get you in, it's over.

Posted August 21, 2012

I believe that the school is doing its best with what they have to work with. Disciple starts in the home and the kids bring those behaviors in the school. I feel sorry for the teachers they have to be mothers, fathers, sisters,brothers and whatever else the childs needs.

Posted September 17, 2009

St. Sabina Academy is the educational outreach ministry of the Faith Community of St. Sabina. Therefore, the school shares in the mission of the church and strives to train up Christian children utilizing God's word, the Bible, and the principles found therein. The mission scripture is Proverbs 22:6: 'Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.' The faculty and administration at St. Sabina's believe that God has a purpose for every child's life. By incorporating the gospel of Jesus Christ and African values, the faculty is committed to teaching and guiding children as they discover their place in the body of Christ. Through collective work and responsibility, the faculty and administration strive to provide a safe, stable, secure and nurturing environment in which children can achieve academic excellence.

Posted April 2, 2009

My school is very good (academic wise) and the teachers are willing to help you but the children are very hectic!!! I an currently in the upper grades and I am sick of the kids' behavior. Overall it is a good school but i think that some of the children really need to be checked. (by their parents!!)

Posted February 5, 2009

My child attended St. Sabina and I must say, she received an excellent education. The principal, teachers and support staff care about the outcome/success of the students. The curriculum is traditional yet accelerated; they focus on critical thinking skills. The day starts and ends with prayer; this is refershing.

Posted January 17, 2009

I have been atending st.sabina since kindegarten and is currently an 8th grader.. i myself like st.sabina it is a great learning environment...students and teachers have a great bond with each other.. we have plently of great extra activites, and have great cooperation from the parents,students,principal,teachers,and pastor... i gladly recommend st.sabina 2 any parent who is looking for a school for their child.

Posted November 17, 2008

This is the best school ever the teachers reach out so much for you which makes the environment so much better to be in. They do things they dont have to do so you can make it in life.

Posted August 8, 2008

I feel my kids are safe here.

Posted April 28, 2008

This is my son's third year and i like the school very much. Yes I think the discpline needs to improve but overall its a good school.

Posted June 1, 2007

This has been my daughter's first year at this school. (2006-2007). She was placed here due to the poor quality and lack of discipline in CPS. I found the practice of teaching about God refreshing but it doesn't appear to help with the discipline. While the children aren't as unruly as in CPS, the mild punishment of staying a few minutes after school or writing numerous pages has no affect on corrective behavior. Parents should be called consistently no matter how many times if their child is the cause for disruptions. I think my daughter's learning ability would increase greatly if there weren't so many discipline problems. Teachers would be able to teach and not be babysitters.

Posted January 26, 2007

My children have been attending St. Sabina for a number of years and I have seen alot of changes. The discpline is not longer there. Our children today need to know that they cannot do whatever they want without being held accountable. We must stop putting all the responsibility on the teachers and put some back on ourseleves as parents. We cannot expect the teachers to raise our children. I would like to see more consititent discpline in the schools.

Posted February 20, 2006

The academic programs are ok, but discipline in junior high effects the academics. Extracular programs are good and convenience because everything is done after school. Parent involvement is ok, but not very good in junior high

Posted February 15, 2006

This is a good school as far as reading, math and writing scores. I would recommend this school, however if you are not practicing Christianity then you may want to reconsider

Posted February 4, 2006

Administration is ok. I respect the principal because she doesn't have an easy job and she genuinely cares about the children, but I think the quality of some of the teachers is poor.

Posted September 1, 2005

My son Lee Daley II has attended St Sabina since Pre-K 3. This institution provides a high-quality of education in a safe, clean, nurturing, and empowering environment which encourages strong values, self-discipline, and hard work for inner-city children who are motivated to learn and become productive contributing members of society, but who otherwise would not have the opportunity.They strive to prepare their students for advanced academic work along with personal and social development so they will emerge as globally competitive, responsible citizens. I would recommend this institution highly and would not send my son any place else

Posted October 9, 2004

I have a daughter attending pre-school at St Sabina. St. Sabina starts extremely early in implementing the blueprint for success. Although my child is very young she has already developed a hightened level of self respect, and she simply loves her school and her classmates. My child is the 5th generation of her family from the Gresham neighborhood, St Sabina gives her the opportunity to receve a top flight education in her neighborhood.

Posted May 17, 2004

My granddaughter has been at St Sabina for 7 years and is principal scholar all 7 of the years. This school has accelerated under the leadership of Ms Dumas. Spanish and computer classes being added will help our children for the readiness of the future. I rate this school very high and because of my background as a teacher and postmaster I am fully qualified to rate this school. St Sabina graduates excell in many areas and we as african americans can feel proud that St Sabina is on the right path.

Posted February 23, 2004

As a graduate of St. Sabina, substitute teacher and parent, I think it is important for me to reveal the mis management of this once fine institution. Under the current leadership, this school is failing. Academically, they are behind. Behavior of children is out of control to say the least. Father Mike is a good man but I don't believe he has a clue about what is going on in that school. The church is doing wonderful things in the community, but they have turned their backs on those students. As a former student and employee, my hope is that Father Mike can make a decision to do something different to turn his school around. After speaking to several parents, teachers and students about what goes on in this school, I hoped for a forum to speak about what I know. Personally, I would like to sue the archdioces for every penny I paid towards tuition for my two girls for exactly one year. They learned a few things. They learned about children getting away with negative behaviors, cursing, jukeing and that some teachers teach and others babysit and can't control their classroom. To the parents that like the hours 6am-6pm, you need to realize before it is too late that you are paying a tall price for your childs education. Get involved in what is going on there and talk to your children. This is information coming from a parent, teacher and former student.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 9, 2003

I have been very pleased by the educational program provided by St. Sabina. I have a 1st grader and a pre-k student. The only facts that are of concern are: pre-k tuition prices are not a part of the family rate, and as a result you pay a lot if you have 1 child in pre-k and another in the academy, versus if they are both in the academy you pay much less. My only other concern are the book/activity fee's which in my opinion are a little too high. The teachers have encountered have been very knowledgeable and vested in the children. The Principal and Asst. Principal are wonderful.

Two or more races 1% N/A

• Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago