No rating

St Scholastica Academy

Private | 9-12 | 30 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $101,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted June 21, 2011

Great school! Transferred daughter from out of country school to SSA and feel good knowing she is receiving quality education. IB program is outstanding!

Posted June 20, 2008

I am currently a sophomore at st. scholastica academy. from my freshman experience it was really different compared to my former elementary school. i learned how to use a lock and a locker for the first time because my former school didnt have lockers. The school evironment is very welcoming and kind. the staff and faculty especially are very nice. if i could pick one teacher as my favorite i would have a hard time. all my teachers from my freshmen year were so nice. they showed that they care with the little things that they do. for example, my physics teacher assigned us an end of the quarter research paper. i didnt really know how to start it but he helped me. the teachers are approachable so dont be scared to ask them for help. they are there you.

Posted February 12, 2008

I attend this school now. Im a freshman I transfered here from a school in Oregon called Barlow. It is an all girls school so I dont like that, the school work is challenging and it is hard to catch up its a very strict put together enviroment. This school is very good for an education and is much saught after. The tuition fee is decent not outragiousily expensive but im sure for some familys it is difficult to pay the cost. I am both looking forward to my years to come and dreading all of the hard work and my years without boys.

Posted February 7, 2008

I am a former student and now in my 20s and living and work in New York City. I can't say enough about single gender education. I attribute my confidence and assertiveness to the attention and small class size that are a strength of SSA. I met a lot of great young women who have proven to be life long friends. The theological focus on social justice was progressive without being preachy. My parents are still very much involved in stewardship with SSA and preparing the next generation of women to face this world. Overall, I had a fun time, felt challenged, not judged, and secure.

Posted November 9, 2007

My daughter is a junior at SSA, and I cannot say enough good things about the school. SSA took my happy, strong, smart 13 year old girl, and they have helped to make her happier, stronger, clearer about herself, and motivated to achieve more. The faculty are outstanding, the opportunities for involvement are without parallel in the city or suburbs, and the nurturing atmosphere is perfect for adolescent girls. Girls grow in strength and confidence at SSA. The science program is particularly outstanding. Also, the fine arts (both performing and visual) offerings are stupendous. Finally, the faith component is just right. SSA provides a Catholic education but they also welcome diversity.

Posted August 25, 2005

This school has no school board and internal communication for parents and students is poor. No accountability exist for poor staff behavior. There is excessiveness in disipline measures over petty situations. Girls can spend up to 3 hours after school serving detentions for pettiness. There is no tutor programs or support for students academically. Parents are force to buy older books that are sometimes never used in the class and many times cannot be resold. The school in not progressive in their teachings. Girls that do poorly conveniently cannot compete and get into other schools due to low GPA. For the money spent you do not get your monies worth. Be aware of this school. There is promise with better administration for it to become a good school but for now this is not a major choice for a catholic high school.

Posted April 14, 2005

I love ssa. I attended tere my freshman and sophmore year. I transferred because it took me 2 hours to get to school each day. While iwas there, iwanted to leave so bad. Not that i trandferrd, i want to go back. Ssa makes you feel right at home. Now, i got to school with people giving me mean looks. At ssa all i saw was people smiling at me, including the ones i wasn't familiar with. Ssa was very challenging and helped me where i am today. It taught me a lot about being a woman and i will carry it with me every where i go. Two teachers i could never forget, mr. Hoover, and ms. Hamil are incredible. Mr hoover, istill remember freshman year. Ssa-pray for us. -Latifat odunewu class of '06 -latifat odunewu
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 1, 2004

I am not a parent but I am a student at St. Scholastica Academy. I think that this school is very challenging and helps the young women to expand their horizon and see that we can be as good as any man that walks our way or in any field that we pursue in. This school may be all girls but it is not that bad and it can be tedious at times but the education is worth it and trust me you will learn a lot within your four years there. I have learned alot even though it has been my third year and one more in counting!

Posted May 24, 2004

I love SSA...I had a good time and since it was a small school I knew everyone and the teachers would pay more attention to you.

Posted August 22, 2003

I aboslutely love this school because of the homey feeling and how much fun it is. There were always dances and the end of the day was the sadest . I never had any problems with the teachers who are great especially Sister Susan. I highly recomend this school to every girl. This schoool is a girl's dream come true!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

• Ms. Colleen Brewer
  • All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious