No rating

St Sylvester School

Private | PK-8 | 278 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $292,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted December 16, 2012

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school and the wonderful teachers and principal. I have a first grader and a preschooler at St. Sylvester. My children absolutely love going to school every day and have learned so much from the amazing people who are so dedicated to this school. My children, even the preschooler, get to experience weekly computer classes with iPads for every student, music, gym and Spanish classes. The principal is so involved in every aspect of the school and truly cares about the students and their families. The tuition is very reasonable and worth every penny. There is such a warm sense of community within St. Sylvester which is very comforting.

Posted January 26, 2011

Children who graduate from this school go on to St. Ignatius, Northside College Prep, Loyola, etc. It has a great atmosphere and very caring teachers and an involved principal. They also have basketball and football teams. My son loves this school and is learning beyond his grade capacity!

Posted October 13, 2010

Great school, teachers are wonderful, very attentive to every student. Principal is outstanding, we are amazed at how much work he puts into this school and how he does it without an assistant. I have a daughter and a nephew attending this school and i have seen a huge improvement from when my daughter first started as well as my nephew. Communication with the parents has always been a priority, which makes this an amazing school.

Posted October 12, 2010

My daughter is in Ms. Marquez' pre-k 3 class and she absolutely loves it! The teachers and staff are amazing and the parents are very vested in our children's education. My daughter comes home singing new songs, drawing new pictures and showing off her new vocabulary every day. She looks forward to going to school and playing with all of her friends. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful school right here in the neighborhood.

Posted September 7, 2009

I love this school my son attends this school. St. Sylvester has so much to offer and everybody is like so friendly. Its a great school.

Posted June 9, 2008

As a parent of 2 children that have attended this school( one is a current student, one who graduated a few years ago) I cant say how pleased I am with all the changes I have seen happen. I believe this has alot to do with the current principal, Mr. Bennett, who has made so many great changes, and with all the great teachers (Ms. Graber, Ms. Marquez, etc., etc.) they now have. I admit, we were not happy with this school at all when our first child attended this school. We feel this school now offers great programs and clubs as well as it allows for alot of parent involvement that wasnt there before. It is great to feel part of this school where everone seems to know each other. My son has learned so much here, he surprises with something new all the time.

Posted January 29, 2008

There is a new principal at this school this year and he has really brought together the community. Myself and my children are so happy to belong to that community!

Posted December 8, 2007

The staff is very nice, the school seems a little unorganized and I dont know about higher grades but Prek4 I feel is not challenging enough. They dont get any homework, which in my personal opinion is a good habit for children no matter what age they are its all about setting high expectations. She has been reading small words and knows sight words and her teacher didnt even know that so I dont know what they base their evaluations on. She is advanced- and they are not adjusting the lesson which should be done in every school. It's a shame since I have already started looking for another catholic school and I know how much this school can use the money.

Posted September 25, 2007

This is a great school with teachers that really care and a great principle

Posted March 30, 2007

I am very pleased with the school. My son is learning every day and the teachers are patient and understanding. The principal, however, seems to be detached from the parents and the students. I do wish that there would be a sports program for younger kids. The school does have basketball teams for the 6th, 7th and 8th graders (a boys team and a girls team) and they are very competitive!

Posted August 9, 2006

This will be the second year my son will attend. I'm very pleased with the teachers, afterschool program (Carmen), and principal. I have looked at other schools and St. Sylvester sold me. My son is very happy and has shown improvement. Let not forget this school is extremely clean.

Posted June 28, 2006

Excellent school. Small class sizes. My son is very shy and his teachers did a great job with him this year.

Posted May 22, 2006

My 3 year old really likes the school. The teachers are great. They are always available to talk to the parents. The aftercare program is very helpful for working parents.

Posted January 2, 2005

This school is very unorganized, the tuition is outrageous, the principal is amazingly controlling(and doesn't care for anyone else's opinions), field trips are rare, and some of the more generous benefactors are allowed access into the school at any time (some to take pictures). I am glad this is the last year I have to put up with the school.

Posted October 12, 2004

My daughter is currently in 8th grade and my son graduated in 1998. In the 10 years I have seen many improvements in the curriculum, but the current lack of flexibility and teamwork for the good of the school is very disappointing. As a concerned parent, I don't feel as if my opinions are taken into consideration and I feel I'm in a dictatorship, I have begun to lose interest in the school. My only consolation is that this is my last year. This is a shame as I live in the community and could have continued to offer my services.(As a volunteer)

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Polk Brothers Foundation School Leadership Award (2009)
  • Illinois Sustainable School Compact (2008)
  • Polk Brothers Foundation School Leadership Award (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 2:30pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Chinese (Mandarin)

Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

• Dance

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • We have a highly involved community which supports the academic programs in the school while also helping run the many extracurricular activities the school offers.