Posted October 20, 2014
I'm a resident of Old Irving and absolutely love our historic neighborhood! When my girls approached school age, I started looking into potential schools nearby. Unfortunately CPS provided nothing but headaches- between their crazy lotteries, distance challenged schools and larger class sizes. So I had to think outside the box. That's how I ended up sending my non-Catholic girls to St. Viator and couldn't be happier. :) St. Viator puts an emphasis on academics, community and smaller class sizes. Teachers leverage online programs like Super Kids (reading), Rosetta Stone (language) and Go Math. Peace Builders are also core to their education and I can see a difference in how my girls treat people kindly and with respect. As a working parent, we take full advantage of the after school care and wonderful enrichment programs. So far they've taken chess, hip hop, drama and building robots. But in the end, what really matters is that they are happy, challenged and surrounded by people who love and support them at school. That's why I'm glad we found such a wonderful neighborhood school that my girls are thriving at.

Posted October 17, 2014
What an awesome place for my child. She has learned so much and the school acts as one large family. The new principal is proving to be a wonderful addition. The difference is seen I the way she motivates the teachers and treats the parents. This school is the place to go!

Posted September 04, 2014
This is the best school for my child. The staff is amazing. The teachers know all of the children. I know that my child is well taken care of. Teachers go out of their way to help all of the students throughout all of the grades. There are many programs to meet various ability and interest levels. The new principal is leading the school in a great direction. The teachers go above and beyond. My child is so excited to see her teachers every day. Any negative reviews I would take with a grain of salt. Schools are the foundation for a child's learning. Parents are the completion of that project.

Posted June 10, 2014
I have been so impressed with our school so far. I have a daughter in 2nd grade and one in kindergarten. My girls love school and going to school and that for us is the best mark of a successful elementary experience. My girls are both excelling academically and socially. There is a good diverse student base and no bulling or any of that business. The class size is small and the teachers are caring and nurturing. There is a new principle for 2014 and she seems really on the ball. There is great parental involvement. Another key indicator of school success has been the tremendous growth rate of the school. While other Catholic schools are closing or downsizing, St. V has grown by upwards of 40% each of the last three years and continues at that pace. There are now two classrooms of each grade starting at 2nd grade down to prek3 and there is a waiting list. We couldn't be happier so far. One other comment about some of the more negative reviews I've read. Look at the context. Does the writer have a serious beef or some kinda ax to grind? People tend to have a singular awkward experience with an individual or something relatively minor and then go all "road rage" about it. Weird.

Posted June 09, 2014
My school is no big deal. The teachers are awfully rude, favortise, and scream at the same kids continually. Our Social Studies teacher complains that we are the worst class and over the summer he will be thinking of ways to divide the class into groups. One group will have fun, and the other one will not learn. He even said that some of us should not even be there. I am telling you this as a student so you can be aware and know that just because it`s a "Catholic" school with smaller class sizes does not mean that it is different from any public schools. There are smaller class sizes because everyone transfers out after 1st grade. To wrap up this review, the test scores are equal to Jonathan Y. Scammon. 50s for the seventh grade in all subjects, and in 3rd-7th grade for Terra Nova, the highest average was a 60. Don`t put your kid in St. Viator. The teachers are rude, uncaring/unnurtering. This is why my parents are transferring out.

Posted May 15, 2014
Why doesn't the school publish its average Terra Nova test scores for each grade? I'm interested in the school due to its location, but have seen some negative comments about the academics and that parents transfer their kids out as they get older. I've checked out other sites, but for some reason no data exists for the school.

Posted April 27, 2014
The school has excellent academics. The growth I have seen in my preK-3 child is amazing. It is a wonderful community of caring teachers and families.

Posted October 04, 2013
This school is great if you have young kids, but as they go in on to upper grades you realize why people leave. The Principal is cold and not receptive to anything parents have to say. The teachers are caring, but I do not feel they are challenging my children. The school won't offer variety in after school programs, the principal never attends sporting events, the technology is lagging when compared to other schools, and they don't offer enrichment programs. The school has held it together this long because parents keep things going and teachers try. The principal has checked out.

St Viator Elementary School 2

Posted October 04, 2013
I am not sure about that post made on April 1st by a teacher. I know for certain that my child is not doing projects based learning or working with iPads. I have asked about this type of thing and get no where. My child basically does workbook pages and spelling words. I have been concerned about the direction of the school and lack of competitiveness. I think the teachers mean well, but the school needs new direction.

Posted September 18, 2013
i rate it 1 star based on how the secretary treated me. i felt she was extremely rude and laughing in my ear on the phone. telling me to hold on then hanging up just for me to call back and her laughing again. all because my daughter would be switching schools from one poor to a much more expensive school. she also tells me "the principle said we can not make it that easy for you". my daughter is in an expensive school now and doing very good.

St Viator Elementary School
4140 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL  60641
Last modified St Viator Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Viator Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top