St Viator School

Private | PK-8 | 223 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $146,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Sweep tile

Posted October 4, 2013

This school is great if you have young kids, but as they go in on to upper grades you realize why people leave. The Principal is cold and not receptive to anything parents have to say. The teachers are caring, but I do not feel they are challenging my children. The school won't offer variety in after school programs, the principal never attends sporting events, the technology is lagging when compared to other schools, and they don't offer enrichment programs. The school has held it together this long because parents keep things going and teachers try. The principal has checked out.

Posted October 4, 2013

I am not sure about that post made on April 1st by a teacher. I know for certain that my child is not doing projects based learning or working with iPads. I have asked about this type of thing and get no where. My child basically does workbook pages and spelling words. I have been concerned about the direction of the school and lack of competitiveness. I think the teachers mean well, but the school needs new direction.

Posted September 18, 2013

i rate it 1 star based on how the secretary treated me. i felt she was extremely rude and laughing in my ear on the phone. telling me to hold on then hanging up just for me to call back and her laughing again. all because my daughter would be switching schools from one poor to a much more expensive school. she also tells me "the principle said we can not make it that easy for you". my daughter is in an expensive school now and doing very good.

Posted September 6, 2013

Hands down this school has surpassed all of my expectations. With it's loving, nurturing environment, St. Viator has given my child the foundation to excel not only in school but in life. Every teacher at this school should receive accolades for their dedication of providing every child a quality education.

Posted September 6, 2013

This is my son's second year at St. Viator. Last year he was in Pre-K and he loved it!! His teacher was amazing! He learned to read before summer break. He's in Kindergarten this year but he's not liking it too much. They are not challenging him. I see the work he comes home with and its stuff he did in Pre-K. My nephew who is also in kindergarten but attends a charter school, is doing more advanced work. As much as I love this school, I might have to pull my son out if the curriculum doesn't change.

Posted September 6, 2013

We have two daughters in this school grades 1 and PreK and we have liked everything we have seen so far. Both my daughters are excited to go to school every day and are learning a ton, which is the best measure of a school's success. The enrollment is growing steadily and they are positioned well for continued success ahead. Good, growing active support by parents and alumni; a good physical building and school sponsored activities before, during and after school including sports and other. Plus, it's a good value compared to it's peers. Not too big and not too small. Check it out! Really nothing bad to say.

Posted September 6, 2013

We started at the school when our daughter was in pre-k4 and thought that we would eventually switch to a CPS magnet school in kindergarten or first grade. I'm so glad we did not. Our daughter has shown exceptional growth in reading and math and yet the teachers keep finding new ways to motivate and challenge her. I also know parents who have had struggling students and they talk about the tremendous support they get for their students. We just started our 2nd child in the pre-K3 program and are already happy with the switch from regular daycare. Besides the great academic and social programs for students, their is a great community of parents who truly enjoy seeing each other which leads to great events year round at the school and in the community around the school. Being at St. Viator means you'll love your child's school and the community you live in.

Posted April 1, 2013

I was surprised to read the post dated March 14, 2013. All of our current eighth graders have been accepted at the high schools of their choice: Walter Payton, Lincoln Park High School (2 in the IB program, 1 in the double honors program), Lane College Prep (honors program), Gordon Tech, Trinity, 2 different charter schools, and St. Pat's. (1 student earning a very large scholarship). We are encouraged to take professional development courses to keep us current. A majority of the teachers have a masters degree. We integrate technology including the use of interactive smartboards and iPADS. Our teachers use inquiry lessons that which are project based units that cover various skills in science and Language Arts. We do have great parents and fantastic students. Come visit us any time to see what we are really doing in the classroom!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 2, 2010

This is the third year that my son has been a student at St. Viator School. He absolutely loves it there. The teachers have been outstanding in providing individual attention. An "Itty Bitty Basketball" program was started this year for kids pre-K 4 through 3rd grade (in addition to the sports teams for the older children). This new program has been wonderful in providing an "outside the classroom" activity for the children and an opportunity for more community-building for parents. The staff are also exceptionally warm and helpful. We look forward to many more years at St. Viator.

Posted April 30, 2010

My son attends St. Viator School and their academic program is amazing. He has excelled greatly. The teachers are caring and warm. St. Viator is an amazing school!!

Posted April 29, 2010

This is a very family oriented school. My grandson goes there and he lvoes it...

Posted April 11, 2010

We have had our child at St. Viator for 2 years now and have been really satisfied with most things. Our biggest complaint is the leadership of the school. The principal seems to lack vision and has difficulty connecting with parents. Teachers have mentioned their unhappiness with the administration and I always think that is a sign of dysfunction.

Posted September 6, 2009

Teachers are great principal is not a people person i pulled my kids because she didn't take care of a problem with other student because didn't want conflict with their parents

Posted November 11, 2008

I have 2 children attending St. Viator and the love going to school. The teachers are caring, nurturing, and work the students based on their levels. St. Viator has a fabulous reading specialist who inspires children to read, write, and act. The school has many specials to offer such as gym, music, library, and computer. It also has a great extracurricular sports program for both boys and girls. The children are kind and respectful to each other and really enjoy their involvement with the school & church.

Posted November 8, 2008

Quality education right in Old Irving. I have a 3rd grader and a child in the 4 year old program. Teachers have strong foundations and children learn to juggle work, extra activities and a strong faith foundation. The teachers teach to the individual child.

Posted August 11, 2008

The best school with a great sport program and teachers concentrate on all students
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 31, 2008

While I did enjoy my years at St. Viator, I feel that it did not prepare me well for high school. The teachers did the best they could, but the other students did not make it an enjoyable learning environment. From being catty and negative to disrupting class, many of the students went out of their way to make learning very difficult. St. Viator does have a good athletics program, but it is lacking in the arts and music departments (no music classes for three years while I attended and art class only once a month). The school is ok, but if you are looking for a quality education, I suggest looking somewhere else.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 20, 2008

My boys have been at St. Viators for the past four years and I think it is a wondeful school. The teaching staff is exceptional. The athletic programs offered are amazing. The whole sense of community has been very enjoyable. I would highly recommend this school to others.

Posted June 30, 2006

We will miss St Viator. Just graduated my second son from there.

Posted April 7, 2006

Great school, overall. Very warm and Catholic.

Two or more races 15% N/A
Asian 6% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Kathleen Kowalski
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4140 West Addison Street