Chicago, IL

Posted August 24, 2015
If you're a parent of a special needs kid, then do not enroll your child here. Cheryl Walsh will bully and taunt him/her.

St Walter School 3

Posted June 03, 2015
Principal 2009-2015 unprofessional, unpleasant, moody & not a good leader. Many families throughout past 6 years left school due to mercurial leadership. Teachers however are dedicated, talented, firm yet caring & go the extra mile! Teachers though teach at the common denominator level, meaning teaching to the average student & as a whole, unfortunately, academically the school has faltered. New student body past 6-4 years is average to below average. Terra Nova scores demonstrate this by denoting 47% at or above average 6th grade math, so, 53% are below and the remaining 47% are never noted how much above the average bar they rank! 10% @ or above 90%? All 47 at over above 50% but below 60%? There is only one honors class, 8th grade honors algebra & all remaining classes the students are grouped together so advanced does not get challenged and remedial lags behind. New principal in 2015/16!!!! Sincerely hope she lights the fire & the school regains it's solid and excellent reputation, it will be a rough road ahead to accomplish this task but can be done with a leader! She has a great teaching staff behind her! As to the prior review, yes, 2009-2015 principal gave scholarships to her favorites, glad you got it.

St Walter School 5

Posted March 03, 2015
i totally disagree everyone wants to blame the princple,she took my family in with welcoming arms ,helped get a scholarship so my children didnt have to be in a public school district,as for the bullying i feel that starts in the home,i have met some parents who are bullys themselves ,so to blame the principle is a very cowardly way of saying you are the problem,teach your children to be the best they can be,

Posted February 06, 2014
Formerly a really good school. Parent involvement is declining and I believe it to be the unwelcoming atmosphere led by the principle. Teachers are great but need better leadership; they are bound to the principle rules which is not parent or student friendly. Academically this school is average in comparison to some public schools so, definitely not worth the money. It's unfortunate as our family has long history at St. Walter. I wish the Pastor and School Board would recognize the problem and change the principle. Unfortunately even if they do for next year, it's too late for us. We are leaving after this year. Can't wait but feel sorry for those who will stay.

Posted January 10, 2014
My son went to school for 2 years there. The Carmelite Sisters are very good and extremely dedicated. I really cannot rate above 5th grade teachers, as I do not have the experience with them. However; the principal, as one person previously described as standoff-ish, but the main reason we left is because the principal is inexperienced, has no open door policy (not comfortable interracting with parents). In addition, there are several half-days, and do not always seem reasonable. The paperwork, administrative letters are not very organized. Not sure if this is due to disorganization or lack of help. It is pretty obvious that this school used to be highly ranked exceptional, but is not the case anymore.

Posted November 21, 2013
St. Walter use to be a very family oriented school. In recent years, since the new administration came aboard, all of that has changed. I am a parent of a St. Walter graduate and of a current student; unfortunately, this will be my last and final year (along with other families). The academics are mediocre, at best and the school and most of the programs and organizations are very unorganized. The faculty for the most part are pleasant, however the principal is VERY standoffish and VERY unapproachable. I chose to send my children to a Catholic school versus a public school because I felt the education and classrooms would have more structure and although this use to be the case, it is no longer a fact. I am currently seeking other options in the area both public and private. I would like for my child to maintain the diverse experience.

St Walter School 4

Posted September 17, 2013
Tight nit community school. Teachers are exceptional! Very integrated and lots of family/parent involvement is offered.

Posted September 12, 2013
I took my child out after 2 weeks. After moving back to the Beverly/Morgan Park neighborhood, I thought it would be nice if my child could attend St. Walter's since all of us graduated from there. The curriculum was far inferior. My child was being taught everything she had learned the previous year at her private Catholic all girls school on Sheridan Road. I was heartsick! The teachers were rude and unwelcoming. I was ready to start driving back to 6100 North on Sheridan Road when I found another private school on 111th Street like her previous school. We were very pleased. You can't put a price tag on education, nor can you repeat the past!

Posted August 21, 2013
After personally experiencing other Catholic schools, it is sadly evident that St. Walter School is at the bottom of overall quality in large part due to the prinicple but also some not all of the teachers.. To walk the halls and read the posters against bullying has made me want to vomit after how we have personally experienced bullying that was due more to certain parents and staff than children. This combined with leading children away from their faith by bad example rather than to it, vastly outweighs any academic advantages which are mixed at best. The bullying problem had gotten so bad that we actually had to get the superintendant of the Chicago Catholic Schools involved which only added to the problem. In the end we were forced to leave the school because of the physical danger to our whole family. The messages this school is sending to their kids about faith is a lie, and academically the kids are behind what they should be learning at their level. Not worth the $4000 per year. At this rate you'd be better off in a publc school, believe it or not!

Posted August 05, 2013
School is declining in academics and administration no longer cares for its families. Used to be a great school many years ago when my first son attended, now it has made a huge turn since the new principal's arrival. School calendar has excessive days off or half days unnecessarily, class room size has increased and many good families have strayed. There needs to be a change for the better very soon. Educational programs are lacking, leaving kids behind after graduating 8th grade.

St Walter School