Chicago, IL

Santa Lucia School 3

Posted November 20, 2014
Santa Lucia is a wonderful, warm, welcoming, and diverse school with a great curriculum. The teachers are very good and challenge the students. The principal makes everyone feel loved. They have many parents who help a lot. The only problem I see is that the school is small and doesn't offer a lot of extras. There is no gym or outdoor play. There isn't any real art or music. There is also no technology. My kids were happy there though so I guess that is what is important. We are no longer there but we were happy when we were there. We still hear rumors that they will close because they are so small but they are still open so who knows. I wish them luck and I know that they do a good job if they could give the kids more extras it would be a perfect school. Other schools in that area are very clicky and do not welcome everybody so in that way Santa Lucia is good. I gave it a three star only because there aren't the extras that you look for when you are paying a lot of money.

Posted February 02, 2013
Let's face it, we're all consumers looking for the best "product" out there (in this case a good education for our children). Why else would you be reading this. As parents looking for a good grammar school, we focused on the final product (i.e. what kind of children does this school put out). We had family members recommend Santa Lucia and were told that their kids consistently feed into the City's best catholic and public high schools. We enrolled our son in pre-K and he just graduated last year. The teachers he had were fabulous: engaging, involved and responsive. The principal is a true treasure who is caring and amazingly committed to knowing every student on a personal level. The teachers, principal and pastor all combined to provide a solid foundation. As far as the final product, almost a third of the class was admitted to St. Ignatius. Kids were also admitted to Payton, De La Salle, St. Rita, Holy Trinity, Marist and Mother McAuley among others. BTW, each of the kids that was admitted into St. Ignatius attended St. Lucy from pre-K through 8th grade. True products of Santa Lucia.

Posted January 16, 2013
We love this school. My child attended another Catholic school in the area. My child was bullied and the test scores were horrible. Now my child attends Santa Lucia and is thriving socially and academically. The teachers and the principal are dedicated to the children. This shows in the top notch test scores and the happy children that attend Santa Lucia.

Posted January 15, 2013
This is a great school. Went all 8 grades 45 or better yrs ago. But i would not send my grandchildren there. I wish they had more programs for the children. They are still stuck in the 80's. I would imagine due to low school funds and not enough parishioners.

Posted January 11, 2013
Sad to see such a poor review for this little gem of a school. Many of my own family have attended this school as well as well as friends. The one thing we all agree on is how the school and parish really feel like a family. The community really comes together for various events. Smaller class size was good for student/teacher interaction. What impressed us most is what a good solid religious foundation my children have received, beginning in the primary grades. Classes attend church every week. They have wonderful family type masses to include everyone. This church has the most altar servers around, all Santa Lucia students /CCD students. My kids know the mass and prayers better than some of our older family members. The school test scores impressed us. We were very happy with our own children's progress whIle there. As far as staff's race, that was never a factor for me as we are all God's children-that's part of being a Christian. Schools don't recruit a certain race-people apply for jobs. I tell my kids to slow down also the time- they''re older now.I'm a parent. I think all I say is sit down, slow down, get down, see it down :-)

Santa Lucia School 2

Posted January 09, 2013
This school is just not the right one. The strongly recommended referral I got was not a disinterested one: The staff is 100% Caucasian, the focus is strongly on fund raising; and the only activity at the afterschool program (preschool - 2nd grade) is to watch TV :-( My child is not being challenged enough, she is being told to "slow down and wait on others", when she finishes up her class' assignment before time.

Posted January 17, 2012
I love this school. My kids love this school. They don't even want to take sick days. They're involved in every activity and this is the first school that I am really involved in. I think that if they could get some extra funding the school would be perfect.

Santa Lucia School 4

Posted May 07, 2010
Santa Lucia is truly a hidden gem. The principal and teachers all care a great deal for the children and that is evident by their hard work and dedication to the school children. Every teacher that my children have had thus far have all been excellent. Classes are small so the students reap great rewards from the individual attention. The curriculum is excellent. All you have to do is visit the school once and it will be very clear that Santa Lucia is an outstanding school. One that I am proud to have attended and proud to send my children.

Santa Lucia School 0

Posted May 07, 2010
Santa Lucia School is a great school to have your children n family members there. Many would say why? The teachers and parents all work as a team n focus on the interests of our children future. The teachers built the confident in our children to succeed to their next task.

Santa Lucia School 0

Posted May 07, 2010
i went to santa lucia school and so did my father and his brother and two sister and i loved that school because there are teacher that care for you and you are not just a number they help you to better yourself in life and teach you how to be a better person and to be nice to other people

Santa Lucia School