No rating

St Nicholas Of Tolentine School

Private | PK-8

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $93,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted May 31, 2014

St. Nicholas of Tolentine was certainly a contributing factor that made me the person I am today with nothing short of dedicated faculty and administration. However, this was years ago. Children in younger grades seem to be happy, but once they hit junior high there is nothing but problems that don't get solved. Everything gets pushed under the rug and remains hidden; they do a great job at masking issues instead of solving. Trouble makers get a slap on the wrist and good kids suffer. Parents are wonderful, and have few excellent teachers, where as others gossip and you will rarely find them in their own classroom. It often makes me wonder if the children are the primary focus in this place. It's a sad day when children count down the days until school is out and feel they are under appreciated because of favoritism. My intentions are not to bash what was once a fine school, but to make others question what really happens here. Thanks for the memories, St. Nicks. I had a quality education. I don't know that I can say the same for students now.

Posted August 27, 2013

St. Nick's is an exceptional school. They teach not only academically but also teach students Values that now a days are NOT taught in schools. St Nick's is very family oriented and the teacher's and staff know all the needs of each students and address them accordingly. The Principles work as a team and achieve outstanding goals. They make sure all students have what they need to learn at their pace and have extraordinary programs to help them.

Posted August 27, 2013

This school has been awesome for our Family. From the moment we started attending Nicks we have been welcomed with open arms, the staff, students and other parents make it what it is. The staff comes in with new ideas all the time to ensure the student's motivation never waivers. The school works with you in everything. My daughter is special needs and under their staff we see such improvements because they care as much as we do. They offer more and more extra-curricular activities and seem to always be looking for more. It is a breath of fresh air after coming here to Nicks after seeing whatelse is out there. There is no thought to this.....St. Nicks is where we will stay. Thanks Nicks!

Posted August 27, 2013

St. Nicholas of Tolentine School is a place focused on student learning and achievement. It offers a core curriculum of Reading , Language Arts, Social Studies, Math and Religion. The extra-curricular activities of Band , Violin, Guitar, Piano, Art, Drama, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball and Bowling enhance the student's experience. Also, the caring staff and faculty makes this school the place to be!

Posted August 27, 2013

This School is a great !!! They understand the needs for the students and parents education wise. They have the best teachers there. The principal is great she is wonderful with the kids. I wish I would have found the school before but now that I'm here could not be happier for my kids.

Posted August 27, 2013

My child recently started attending St. Nick's. She is a child with special needs and after we did our research, we felt that St Nick's was the best fit for our daughter. So far we have felt that this choice was the best and we know that our daughter will get all the extra help and motivation that she needs. Seeing how helpful and carrying the teachers and staff are really puts me at ease knowing that my daughter is in a safe and loving environment.

Posted August 27, 2013

It is a great school to be in. The environment is outstanding from teachers to staff members.

Posted August 26, 2013

St. Nicholas of Tolentine School is very welcoming and feels like family. The teacher and staff are very patient with the students and really care about the students education. I enjoy all the programs offered to the students. The music program is great for students in first grade to 8th grade.

Posted April 23, 2010

This school is amazinggggg.The teachers are great and the kids are great.Very pleased.

Posted March 6, 2010

Wonderful school- caring faculty and staff- small class size- great place for my daughter to be!

Posted February 19, 2010

Sorry to say, but St. Nick's isn't doing a very good job providing a safe and comfortable learning environment. They favor some students over others, overlooking what the favored students do. I had a friend who had to change schools because of this.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 28, 2009

St. Nicks really is a great school. The academics are not above average or anything special but the support and environment is what makes the school great. The new principals have improved it as well, bringing back choir, student government, and making other activities a big hit. The best thing about the school is the discipline. I graduated from there in 2005 and I consider myself a respectful and moral person because of St. Nicks and my parents as well.

Posted May 8, 2008

The best school ever. the teacher are very caring and helpful. When you are ready for an awsome school are arm are welcome.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 28, 2008

I was happy with St. Nicholas and the way it was run by the former Principal. I do not believe the new Principals make the school better. Teachers have very low tolerance for children needing extra guidance in St. Nicholas. I am in awe of my children and their achievements since they started a City of Chicago Public School where they are able to recieve extra attention and no child is left behind.

Posted April 29, 2006

St. Nicks is a great school. It offers music, art and sports. The students are great. They learn a great deal of Math, English, Social Studies and Science. But the Main subject is religion which teaches them morals and respect for others. The students and the teachers are the ones that make this a great school.

Posted November 5, 2005

Wow! St. Nick's has to be one of the best kept secrets of the Southwest side! This school is full of kids who WANT to help, to learn and to excel. The new Co-Principals, Ms. Majorowski & Ms. Menden are bundles of energy, full of good solid ideas. It's amazing watching them put those ideas into play. Great role models for us all! The school has teachers with back bone, who are current on the needs of different learning styles, such as children with ADHD. Our school offers Scouting (for boys or girls), sports including soccer, music including band and guidance through United Stand Counseling. No school can survive without the outstanding contributions of our parents, who involve themselves in many ways, lunch monitors, board members, coaches, committee volunteers! For a small school, it has alot to offer! Glad we found them! St Nick's make my son smile!

Posted July 11, 2005

I wanted to let everyone know that St. Nicholas of Tolentine is a great school. I graduated from it in 1990 and now my daughter is going to start 5th grade here. There are no more than 30 students per class which allows for the teacher to give more attention to those who need it. They have football, basketball, soccer, music, art, cheerleading, boys scouts, etc. When needed there is always a great parent turnout but we can always accept more. I have also been the school board president for the past 2 years and I would not have taken on a position like this if I didn't believe in this school and this beautiful community. The pastor is such a great pastor and is always supportive whenever you need him. The priests also teach catechism classes and there will be a 24 hr prayer chapel coming soon.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mariagnes Menden
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3741 West 62nd Street