PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Beginning on July 17, 2015, a series of negative posts appeared on several social media sites: Google, GreatSchools.org, and Yelp! They seem to be spurred on by one or two parents. After leaving the school more than a year ago, these same persons continue to use multiple sites to smear the school, along with the professional reputation and job security of teachers and staff. ***Constructive criticism and healthy dialogue are always welcome. Please go to the school web site to peruse our responses to these posts: www@sma-school.org/reviews. ***We hope these responses reflect the true nature of our school, our excellent teachers, principal, and staff. Then consider visiting our beautiful school in person and see for yourself the dedicated staff and smiling children at St. Mary of the Angels. God provides! ***Rev. John R. Waiss, Pastor of St. Mary of the Angels, email: FrJohn@sma-Church.org
July 22, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted July 22, 2016

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 27, 2016
SMA's Maryland Charter states that your smart child will help the lagging students catch up. Any competent education professional will say that this is the responsibility of the teacher, not your child, and that this may actually have negative consequences for your child in the long run.

St. Mary of the Angels 1

Posted June 27, 2016
*** If you are considering St. Mary of the Angels School please do yourself a favor and tour the outstanding schools nearby as well (St. Josaphat, Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, St. Clement, St. Andrew, Immaculate Conception/St. Joseph in Old Town). You will be amazed that you ever considered this average at best school. *** Many families with well performing students have left or are leaving due to the poor academics of the school. *** Little or nothing is done to deal with students who exhibit behavior problems like bullying and being disruptive in class. The school just mentions their totalitarian "Maryland Charter" as the magical solution to all problems when in reality its main purpose is to absolve the administration of any responsibility, meanwhile all students continue to suffer physically, emotionally, and academically. *** If your child is performing above grade level, the school cannot accommodate them. No differentiation of education. *** The following is an excerpt regarding SMA student test scores that appears on the SMA Executive Summary recently prepared by the school administration for AdvancED: "St. Mary of the Angels School's test scores on the Terra Nova reveal a rigorous academic program. Our composite seventh grade scores are Reading 61.6, Language 63.1, and Math 54." Hardly the result of a rigorous academic program. Note how these scores differ from what is reported on the school's own website. The entire Executive Summary can be viewed online via any search engine. *** The school is not financially sound and is running a huge deficit. This is due in part to the excessive number of "Scholarship" students the school chooses to admit. The excessive number of "Scholarship" students limits the school's financial resources which in turn affects the school's ability to fund all the things necessary for a properly functioning school, kind of a self-imposed "Shoe String" budget that for some odd reason the administration takes pleasure in bragging about by arrogantly declaring they have half the financial resources per child of the previously mentioned top performing schools. They have only themselves to blame for this. Oh, and by the way, the "Scholarship" students do NOT come from all ethnic backgrounds and this results in a student population that is NOT diverse by any measure.

St. Mary of the Angels 5

Posted May 12, 2016
My children have been here for almost 3 years. In that time, I've been increasingly reassured by the quality of the teachers, the care of the staff, and the vision of the administration. What SMA may lack in a proven track record, it makes up for in spades with compassion, motivation, and heart. I have faith that in 5-10 years, this school will be on par with the best K-8 Catholic school in the city. It has come so far in just the 3 years I've been there. My children routinely tell me, without prompting, that they "love SMA!" or love their teachers. The teachers are so kind and do such good work. And the art teacher!!! She's amazing - the kids put on a musical every year, spring concerts, a Christmas program, and bring home lovely projects. Best of all, the kids and families are all great...I have heard friends relate stories of bullying, disrespect, etc. and I've experienced none of that at SMA. I am sure some of that is luck, but I also know that their core values really do resonate with the kids. And at the end of the day, that's the most important thing -- not just raising a child that tests well or has exposure to the most sports or extracurriculars -- but raising a child that will grow into a kind, creative, critically-thinking, motivated, community-oriented, ethical human beings. I am so grateful to SMA for helping me do that.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 12, 2016
Miss Harrington, the art teacher, and Miss Beres (PK), Miss Zaida (PK) & Miss Wilcer (K)

St. Mary of the Angels 5

Posted May 12, 2016
St. Mary of the Angels is a wonderful school with a great environment. Teachers, staff and parents form a welcoming community in that families and children are pleased to be part of SMA. As a mom of 3 I am attracted to the small class sizes, the bond between teachers and students, students enjoying each others friendship, a musical performance every year that brings out talent and art--this is pretty popular in our school because kids love to be on stage. I love it that learning is taking place in the classroom, library and field trips. We are also cultivating independent learning through daily work journals in that students write in their journals daily--this also helps with penmanship. SMA has many things to offer. Please consider St. Mary of the Angels in your next open house.

Grateful to: no rating

Posted May 07, 2016
- a school leader
Thank you to those in administration who help saved and rebuild this school. Thank you to the teachers who dedicate so much time and energy to your classrooms and to the school community. Thank you to the parents who continue believe in us and who volunteer so generously. Thank you to the kids whose smiles and joy motivate us all to be better. Thank you God, and your Mother, for blessing us all at St. Mary of the Angels School.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted September 09, 2015
Unfortunately, the majority of homework was not only extremely little, but busy work. By busy I mean that my child completed it in 5 seconds while barely looking at it. I cannot speak for grades that are upstairs, only for grades downstairs at SMA (up through first grade). We were extremely disappointed with the instruction and having moved to a stellar Catholic school, we can now validate that SMA is severely behind in every single way. I do not blame the teachers as most only have experience at SMA or other Opus Dei schools (SMA is overseen by Opus Dei priests). I do blame the principal for not knowing how to harness skills and give explicit direction/goals. if teachers had better leadership, so many problems at SMA would be avoided.

St. Mary of the Angels 4

Posted September 02, 2015
former parent from 3 children who attended SMA school. It sad to hear such negative feed back. My two younger girls are not attending this year b/c it was just not in our means. I'm not surprise to read negative comments from parents about families who received financial support. Since I we did experience some unpleasant experiences personally from some parents at the school. It said because I feel education should be offer equally to all children. With the generosity of SMA staff I was able to afford for my girls to attend SMA. it was a blessing and I will always be great full. SMA staff/faculty open the doors to our family and my girls call it there second home. They develop life skills and a passion for God's word. My whole family was transformed. In any schools there are goods and bad. Academic wise maybe is not a top notch. However my daughter graduated and is attending a decent school. She is in honor classes and she carries herself trough high school with courage, kindness and confidence. She is good at speaking publicly and despite her fears she has try out for captain of her team. Something she learned in SMA with the support and Love of the teachers and administrators. My daughter was in second grade and she was part of the holy communion. It was not the best i have to agree. I know b/c my two oldest did there communion in SMA school, years ago and it was different. they try something new and it did not work out. My daughter was able to take a school picture, you just had to be patient. I did encounter rudeness and disrespect from the other attendants. However the important thing is that my daughter demonstrated independence and responsibility, she remember everything her teacher told her she could do and not do, she received her communion and she was very happy. Since then she does not forget the importance of confession and the importance of receiving communion. this is what counts in my opinion. SMA has instill the values i wanted my children to have and it has shaped them to evolve in their community. It does break our heart to say good bye, and if its possible again I would have my children return. Parents need to be clear on what they want for their children. If they want there children to be able to test well or handle everyday life pressures well. Good foundation or test scores. I choose a good foundation that is why i choose SMA.

Teacher effectiveness: no rating

Posted August 24, 2015
- a school leader
Yes, we have some awesome teachers who follow our Maryland Charter: "Teaching: A Vocation, Not a Job ** We view teaching not just as a job of passing on knowledge to others in an effective way, but as a call by God to shape the hearts and empower the minds of our young people so they may be able to fulfill their God-given mission to love and to enrich the lives of others. Thus teachers see their students as children of their spirit, leading them by their own example to pursue truth in love. ** In this way, teachers strive to live their lives in a way that reflect the richness of the Church’s faith, communicating in an attractive and integral way the love of God and of the truth, the practice of virtue, and the Christian moral life. Teachers are encouraged to cultivate their own personal relationship with God through prayer and the sacraments, so as to foster this in the lives of all St. Mary of the Angels School’s children and parents. ** Their witness and example goes beyond their time in the classroom, but is to be lived in and through their whole life. The consistency of this unseen portion of their lives does indeed influence and have an impact on others—especially children, who are so sensitive to inconsistencies between words and action. That is why teaching at St. Mary of the Angels School is much more than a job—it is a vocation and a way of life, something to be lived, not a task to be performed." ** Teachers also do ongoing education, including Masters in education. One teacher finish hers last year. ** Pastor

1810 N Hermitage Ave, Chicago, IL  60622
Last modified St. Mary of the Angels is a Private school that serves grades PK-8