PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

I am a 6th grade student here. I'm DEFIANTLY transferring over to a much better school. DONT send your child here. My teacher smells like cigarettes and beer and never teaches anything. There ARE fights and there ARE cursing students here. Not a safe environment for a kid, just a few months ago a stranger walked into the school and everyone had to hide until the police came...do you really want to send your kid here? Don't!!! The classrooms have cracked walls and the school has centipedes,spiders, and ants crawling around. Mostly in the church, and you will get suspended if your socks are above your knees- ridiculous. Overall rating 1 star.

My youngest daughter is currently attending St John after the school she attended from 1st to 4th grade closed. The staff is pleasant to work with. The principal is easy to talk to also. The teaching is good but the only thing is that some teachers confuse the students on some assignments and if the parents didn't stay on top of things then students would just fall by the waist side with those assignments. Overall, I am pleased with the curriculum and the opportunity for the students to correct their papers and be able to understand what they missed and why they missed what they missed. The social studies and math teachers rock because they make learning fun.

I am a student at St. John and what i have to say about this school is it is not what it seems to be. The children curse, do inappropriate things and do crazy things. I am a current eight grader and lets just say i cant wait until i graduate. "Some" of the teachers even come in smelling like cigarettes and beer, and they cant even sometimes teach because they're hungover.! But when it comes down to their actual teaching, they take the time to go over the curriculum with you if you dont understand. As much as i hate this school, I also love this school but dnt send your child here.

I am happy to write that St. John de la Salle has a new kindergarten teacher who is wonderful. The entire staff is warm and thoughtful. I believe the test the above review refers to is kindergarten readiness test, which is standard. My child also took the same test. I currently have a child in kindergarten and I have been incredibly impressed by how challenging the curriculum is, it seems gone are the days where children just learn the alphabet. My child is already writing sentences! He comes home daily speaking about new words he is learning about and is constantly asking for new books to read to me. It is evident that his teacher is passionate about his job and is always available to discuss concerns or to answer questions. I would say over all that the the low elementary teachers seem kind and caring. Seeing them all interacting with my child is also very exciting since it shows a strong sense of collaboration. I just can't say enough great things about this school. I am extremely happy.

Be very careful if you enroll your child as a preschooler/kindergartener here. The staff is quick to label without providing evidence to support the claims or recommendations for assistance. The curriculum does not support/recognize differences in the development of young children and 4 and 5 year olds are expected to take and pass three page tests. Buyer beware!

This was my granddaughter's first year at a catholic school. She went to CPS for Preschool and Kindegarten. I was very concerned since all of my children were products of Chicago Public School. I am very satisfied with the curriculum, staff and the principal. They made me feel like family. Their warm caring spirit and attitude regarding the children made me feel safe and comfortable. The school hours and after care are excellent. Most of all my granddaughter who will be in the second grade will be returning. Thank You!!!

Your child will receive an EXCELLENT EDUCATION with quality caring teachers.

St. John provides a very safe environment and good quality core curriculum. My hubbie and I have two children currently attending the school and are very pleased overall.

This school is laking extra curricular activities.My daughter wanted to be on the cheerleading team but she was in fourth grade.Why can't fourth graders be on the cheerleading team?

The math and language arts department are lacking a sufficient program. They don't even compare to some of the free schools

Last modified St. John de la Salle School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8