PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

I use to go to this school. (As a Student) (2008-2011) (Under the last principle). I must admit that it was fun to go to this school. I liked going to church every Friday and playing with friends.. I dislike the colors that they did infront of the school now .. The Lunch there wasnt the best ( I dont know about now) .. Recess wasnt fun because we didnt have a playground, all we did was run around on the streets.. The P.A teacher wasn't the best. My Parents had to pay A LOT of money each month for my education and I didnt learn anything from the teachers.. (I again there might be different teachers now)..

My child attends St. Nicholas and we ve seen many improvements this past year. Beyond the external changes that have revitalized the look of the school, they ve made internal changes, as well. The principal has an open door policy, holds a weekly meeting with parents and works with the parent ambassadors. The faculty and staff are engaged and focused on their students. Ms. Talaber, the 7th grade teacher, was just announced as a Golden Apple finalist. We re elated she's teaching the upper grades in science and math. Ms. Shay Shavocchi, our 1st grade teacher, won the Chicago Heroes of the Classroom award in 2013. We congratulate both of them. The afterschool tutoring for the students, the free toddler time for neighborhood families, a new drama club, and the school performances in multiple languages including Spanish are refreshing! I know that my child had benefited from attending this school, not only for her academic achievements (which had to be earned) but for the religious and leadership education, as well.

This school has lost its focus this year. They were a great school up until this year. Last year they had a lot of great things and had a few great parents that worked their butts off to make it work. Now I don't see anything good in this school. They only offer one sport for the kids after school, and most other Catholic Schools have a lot of great sports. Only a few parents step up and help with this school and one who was very active is not even here anymore. I don't know if his family moved away but he was always trying to make money for the school. They had a car raffle last year were selling tickets for Bulls games, and this year they don't have anything. The parents are to blame for the reason this school is in such bad shape. We never know what is going on with this school. Now they are wanting to put us in a old building and rent out the new building to another school. Shame on all those people who attended this school and not giving back to the place that gave them a great education. I would think they would call up the former students and ask for donations but they don't. I know because I am former student and my kid goes their now. We are pulling out of here

I am a parent of a Pre-K student who started at the school this year. The staff is very caring and everyone has been very open, friendly and welcoming. There is a good focus on academics - my child does worksheets and art projects - and has improved at writing. St. Nicholas is reasonably priced, has an after school program, small class sizes, caring teachers and aides, well disciplined kids, quiet classrooms, a sense of community - what more can you ask for? I feel that my child is in good hands.

I went to visit the school because I am looking for one for my son and the service was excellent!!! I had the opportunity to talk with some students and they are happy about the school!! I also had a conversation with a new parent from pre k and she said she is too happy with the way her daughter is developing. I have no doubt; I will bring my son to the school. By the way, I LOVE the color they have and the principal s office is OPEN to parents and students always. Here we go!

Great school! Great teachers! Great parents! I don t know if this school did wrong in the past but as a new parent I recommend other parents to give their child the chance on being well educated in this catholic school. Thank you to the teachers and the new administration!

This school used to be very good. All that remains now are small size classes and safety. If you expect getting decent education, be prepared to become frustrated by grade 6, and realize that your kid needs a tutor to keep up her/his grades in acceptable range. You might realize as well that your chils loses confidence and motivation since no matter how hard she/he works, grades are not likely to go up, but surely will go down. Bad semester grades in 6-8th grade students in school where the biggest classes is 13-14 students and smalles 7-8 students speak for themselves: it is highly unlikely that such a small group of students can't learn - it is more likely that teachers can't teach. Sure enough, if teacher explains new material for 5 minutes in the beginning of class, then gives assignment and plays with her phone or computer until the bell rings (from numerous observations of students of various grades throughout the years), what can be expected. Therefore, if you would like your child to get good education, look elsewhere.

As a parent, I highly recommend St Nicholas Cathedral School. It is one of the most affordable Catholic schools in the area. The teachers are very professional; they motivate students to learn and be better every day. Discipline is something that many parents confused, educating with discipline is no abuse, and it is a right way to prepare them for their future. My son has being in St Nicks since pre K3. Now he is in Kindergarten and I am amazed of how fast he has learned! He loves math, since and reading/writing; he loves the school and his teacher; he loves doing his homework too, he is always talking about the things he is learning. I love the way he prays for all his classmates. As parents, we feel part of a big family where we can say this is our school. We are also invited to be a parent ambassador where we volunteer if we are able, we give ideas, opinions, and we are informed about school news. They have financial aid for these families that qualifies. We are too happy to do this investment for the better of our son s future.

One of the best Catholics schools in the area. Reasonable tuition. Principal is committed to bring high quality education for students as well as the teachers are. Teachers: very professional and dedicated, devoted to educate students, always looking for different and fun ways to teach. Students in all levels are very happy. The colorful new look of the school is the reflection of the open, new and fresh relationship between new administration, parents, students and teacher, in fact, all of us were part of this transformation. If you want to know about the school, you are very welcome to be present in one of the every Monday s assembly and talk to the principal or one of us (parents) about the school. All parents in St Nicholas are happy with the school, otherwise we wouldn t have our kids here. So watch out for the bad reviews, they may not be parent!! ST NICKS ONE OF THE BEST CATHOLICS SCHOOLS IN THE AREA!

Nobody is perfect and there is no perfect school. St. Nickolas is safe and the discipline is established. But that is all. In the upper grades half of the students are getting "D" in Math. The new principal's accomplishments are purple, blue, yellow,and lime walls all over the school. Many parents from the lower grades were so upset with the new management that they called the meeting and protested against the improvements. The "P" grade was secretly introduced, and nobody told parents in advance about the changes.The principal claims that school is moving towards the excellence in education. I believe, that "P" represents only 50 % which obviously is not an excellence. If you are looking for the colorful walls, don't mind "P" and agree on "D" - You are welcome

Last modified St Nicholas Cathedral is a Private school that serves grades PK-8