Marist High School 3

Posted November 08, 2014
Marist is okay. Just the honors teachers expect too much. I mean it is an honors class but that doesn't mean you can stop teaching. It is very very focused on sports. But I mean no one cares about the chess team or the debate team or anything. They just care about the football team and if they win or not. Af for the racial issue, I have seen some racism, but nothing too major. The teachers are usually approachable. They have an arc which is a great place to study, but it would help if the teachers stopped yelling at us to be quiet. They are louder and more distracting than the other students... But marist is a pretty good school. Most of the teachers are very kind and they teach you about God even if they aren't a religion teacher, so that's nice. ONE THING I HATE ABOUT MARIST: there are cliques, just like in the movies. I'm the only one from my grammar school who went to marist so it was hard to make friends because everyone already knew each other. They all had their groups and were reluctant to allow anyone else to join them. Hopefully I won't feel so lonely later. THE COACHES HAVE FAVORITES! if the coach doesn't know you, you probably won't make the team. Well that's marist

Posted October 24, 2014
I am a 2012 graduate and have nothing but good things to say about the school. Great students, great faculty! Marist also made my transition from high school to college a breeze, and everything seems quite easy now! And no, Marist is not a racist school at ALL so please don't let that effect your decision to send your child there!

Marist High School 1

Posted July 28, 2014
Marist is such a horrible high school.They do not embrace anyone who is not into sports. They are very racist. The students are rude and make fun of other students. A bunch of bullies. They are not welcoming and do not care about the students. You can ask for help until you are blue in the face. They make all of those promises but when you go there you find out that it was all lies.There are about 50% good teachers, the rest are useless. I get good grades because of me not because of the bad 50%. If I ask for something to be re-explained I am told that either I was not listening or to read it in the book. I do listen and I do take notes but some teachers do not know how to teach and should not be there. I asked my parents to get a private tutor for those classes and they should get the credit. Not Marist. I hope that I am not going to be subjected to their ways of doing things for four years.

Posted March 29, 2014
Lets face the facts, the majority of the school is white. But as an African American female student, I will say that I never was mistreated by any of my teachers or fellow classmates. In the begining, it was hard to make friends because I was shy and I came from an all Black Catholic grammar school. So coming into an all white environment, took some adjusting for me. By, my sophomore year, I had joined two sports, a club and made friends. I am now a junior and matained a 3.8 G.P.A.! I have been on the honor roll for four straight semesters. The classes here, are extremely challenging esp if you are in honir and A.P. classes. I would recommend this school to other minority students. The sports programs abd academic programs are strong. Additionally, graduates go on to the best top colleges in the U.S.

Marist High School 4

Posted December 27, 2013
Marist is great, I just wanted to address the "racism" issue. I have never seen any racism at marist, whatsoever. All my friends accept and like African Americans (I cannot speak for a whole school). In fact one sits at my lunch table every day and we tell jokes and there is nothing different. The reason why the majority is white is because roughly 85 percent of the area is white, so of course the majority of the school is white! Teachers are great, though some portions of the school are underfunded (Hockey team, band) it is overall a great school for everything.

Posted November 17, 2013
Some of the negative reviews below contain some of the most twisted lies I have ever seen. First, dealing with the issue of "racism" at Marist. Complaints below say that there is a lack of diversity in the school; I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Marist is a private school that accepts applications and testing from ANY student. So is the lack of diversity caused by racism? Or lack of interest by minorities? I would have to say it is the latter. I am a white male, and I never even considered race when I chose my friends (my best friend is black). Everyone is accepted and loved at Marist; students that are Hispanic, Black, artistic, athletic, smart, shy, outgoing are all part of the Marist community. I could bore you with statistics, but I know first-hand that our academics are second to none. The teachers are so helpful and always there to help, and, as cheesy as it sounds, they make learning fun. The Redhawk Athletic teams are always some of the best, and we the best student section in the world cheering them on. I truly love everything about this school. If you want to make the best of your high school years, please consider Marist. GO REDHAWKS!

Marist High School 2

Posted November 13, 2013
I'm a graduate of 2013 and I hated everything about this school. I would have transferred if it weren't for the fact I was forced to go to a private school. If you're an athletic kid you'll fit in fine and think Marist is the best place on the earth, but if you're someone who takes the artistic path then don't go here. Basically, a bunch of rich athletes who care little to nothing up those who do not fit inside of their binary. Another problem I had with the school is that some of the teachers were completely worthless. It seems that the better teachers are only given to honors students. HOWEVER, I did have a few teachers that were very great that I have learned valuable lessons from. The only reason Marist does not fail on my book is because as much as I did not fit in, and as much as I hated the school and mostly the people, I did end up going to college prepared for the most part. The curriculum, when you apply yourself, will get you places. BUT, if you can apply yourself in any setting I recommend sticking to a public school where creativity is accepted and you won't live a miserable life trying to fit in.

Marist High School 1

Posted July 15, 2013
Marist HS is one of the most racist schools in Chicago, think about it's location. The staff is friendly, but administration cares nothing about African-American students. Your child may be recruited for sports with big promises, DON"T BUY IT! If your are of a minority race, RUN; students are allowed to call others the N word and get away with it on a daily basis. My child came home everyday telling me of the racist incidents and how it was never addressed. My child now attends the local public school, and loves it. Why spend $$$$ for your child to be called out of their name. Parents, of minority students take my advice, find a different school!! All of the African American parents will tell you it's racists but they don't stand up and fight the school on this issue. In light of the Zimmerman case, Marist would embrace him and so would many of the families who live in Mt. Greenwood and surrounding areas. Don't buy that brothers and sisters for life, it doesn't apply to the African American students. The school gives you an excellent song & dance to recruit you, but it is totally opposite. RUN QUICKLY and find your child another school!!

Posted June 08, 2013
I love this school. This school is like my second home. I am going to be a sophomore in the fall of 2013. The teachers are ALWAYS there for help and support. My guidance counselor, T.F (his initials), is always there for me. Dean P. is always there to talk to. All the teachers here are approachable. The students NEVER exclude you. The academics are challenging, but it is challenging us for the future. Also, I love being challenged. There are SO many ways to be active throughout the school. I highly recommend this school to family, friends, neighbors, citizens, etc. I love Marist High School and I'm proud to be a part of the Marist Community. GO REDHAWKS!

Marist High School 3

Posted May 25, 2013
My son graduated from here and wishes he went somewhere else. The school got too big. He got involved and was on some very good sports teams but didnt get much playing time. Academics were good, but not great. The one or two classes he didnt do that well in, he got very little support. I teach at a public school and sent my son to Marist to keep him away from trouble makers, which he did. But I wish (and so does he) that he would of went to a smaller private school. I feel that Marist is kind of like a diploma factory. The faculty and staff werent that friendly and the administrators were borderline arrogant. The principal doesnt care about individuals and will only speak to you if you are a big booster or an active alumni.

Marist High School