No rating

St. Bede the Venerable

Private | PK-8 | 454 students

Our school has been recognized for providing a high quality Catholic education.

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $108,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted June 7, 2014

St. Bede is a great school that meets the needs of all their students. Both of my children have been challenged and love St. Bede. The teachers, who are paid much less than public schools, go above and beyond their duites to provide a quality education for all students. Any bullying issues that have occured in my child's class have been dealt with immediately with the guidance of their wonderful counselor!

Posted June 2, 2014

My daughter was a former student at St. Bede. The curriculum has went downhill. Kids are not challenged and excessive bullying. I didn't realize how far behind my daughter was until I transferred her out. She is in another school where she is happy and thriving. The reason for the downfall of St. Bede is due to the neighborhood changing.

Posted May 9, 2014

As a former student of St. Bede, I can be nothing but brutally honest. Since I was a student, I ve seen the involvement & the community die off. It s quite a sight seeing such a lively school turn into what it has turned into, a straight up catastrophe. It s like watching the titanic sink, the academics especially. When I first came into the school, I was challenged & went from average to excelling & becoming an honor student & now? Public school rank better than St. Bede, a school of struggling parents who CHOSE to make this sacrifice for their children & for what? To get less than exceptional. & if the only response for the school failing its duties is because the parents fail to make the community? There would be no community if it weren t for their support, so let s not attack the people who make it possible for there to be a St. Bede. Take that aggression & push the teachers, principle, the priest, & the administrative staff to make the school academically better & to bring back the community it ONCE had. Let s not get all melodramatic please.

Posted May 8, 2014

Sad to say that I'm being forced to leave after 11 years. Unfortunately the academic standars are lower than past years, the administration seems indifferent to student achievements and more interested in fullfilling their shortsighted agenda, and parent involvement has dropped, I think, due to many families fleeing this terrible situation. The school is currently in the "process" of looking for a new principal, wich will make him/her the third principal in the las 3 years. What does that suggest? I would recomend that if you are looking for quality academic education and a positive environment for your children, just keep looking.

Posted May 7, 2014

St Bede is a great school for all children. Parent involvement has been the only thing lacking in current years. Get involved more with your children academics & extra curricular activities people!!!

Posted May 6, 2014

I'm sorry to say this school have change so much in the last 3 years, I have a daughter that was happy in this school but they are changing principal again my son is going to know 3 principals and he is only in 3er grade. sad to say I'm looking for a safer and more challenging school for my son.

Posted October 18, 2013

St Bede the Venerable is so much more than a school. It is a safe community where I send my kids, and they are able to learn everything they need to prepare them for their future. I love the environment at St Bede, and I love how every child that attends there is respectful. St Bede is amazing!

Posted October 17, 2013

St. Bede is a school where the teachers go above and beyond for ALL students. They are constantly making themselves available to students and parents to help in any way they can. They work very hard to do what is best for the students.

Posted October 8, 2013

The curriculum has been less-than-challenging for some time. My oldest graduated at the top of the class and is struggling through the first year of high school; the kids from other grammar schools are much better prepared. The new leadership is very detached from the kids and the parents. Furthermore, my kid reports that the bullying has gotten out-of-control. I do NOT recommend.

Posted August 20, 2013

My oldest just graduated St Bede & I will have 5 attending this year. I love how St Bede is one big family :-) The children learn a lot about religion and how to care for one another. The teachers and staff are wonderful! I am truly greatful for all the help and support both principals have given to all the St Bede families!! My children have a wonderful learning experience there!! Go Tigers!! We love St Bede!! The Lord is great!

Posted August 3, 2011

it is a wonderful school. the principal is the best he even won the best principal in chicago. if u want an academic school go here.

Posted February 20, 2011

M children currently attend St Bede..and we love it...It has an excellent Principle and excellent teachers..It excels academically and spritually..as a parent, I know my pridest joys are going to the best school on the south side of chicago...On all grades levels, you can see they challege the students and the kids are Succeeding!!!Safe and Friendly environment..the Staff is Super!!

Posted July 28, 2010

I disagree completely.My daughter went there since preschool as well,and i honestly thought their values were sincere, until a bully incident took place.Nothing was done with this very serious matter by the principle.So, if you want your children to attend a school that deals with bullying, this is the school for you.Also, their curriculum is not challenging at all.The students that fall behind get all the preference, and the students that need to be challenged get left behind.I realized how far behind the students are when i transfered my daughter.She was truly missing out on a great education, and for the same amount of tuition!!!!Too bad i realized so late.

Posted March 27, 2009

I give St. Bede 5 Stars! My son went there and he loved it! We moved and I can't say too much about his new school. I think we both miss St. Bede! The teachers and the principal are great!

Posted November 14, 2008

I give the school four stars. It's a friendly environment, the principal and teachers truly care about the children's physical and mental well being.

Posted October 8, 2008

I really love the school. My daughter has been at St Bede since early pre-school and she loves it. I want the teachers to give more homework.

Posted April 25, 2007

It's a great place for pride! St. Bede is a neighborhood of all kinds and proud of it. We love the school, support our Tigers in everything, and get the best education on the Southside. It is a wonderful place to raise a family and so proud to be a Tiger! We are....St. Bede! oh, by the way, our 8th grade girls won the championship in Volleyball and our 8th Grade boys were in the championship for football and currently in the running for the baseball championship!!
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Barbara Rasinski
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Visit during school hours
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (773) 582-3366

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom