No rating

St. Columbanus School

Private | PK-8 | 220 students

We're best known for 90% of our students testing at or above grade level

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $87,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted November 23, 2013

St.C prepared my daughter so well for high school, that I had to write an review! My daughter graduated from St. C with extremely high test scores, selfconfidence & an enthusiam for learning. She tested into Whitney Young,her for choice & is excelling. I owe it all to St. C for giving her a good solid academic and moral foundation.The school is very costly but it is worth every penny, esp when you see the high schools, test scores, how well behaved your child is and the colleges these kids attend after leaving St. C. Its a true investment. And the teachers are also VERY caring, knowledgeable in their subjects and push.the kids to go further in their academics. They offer; Spanish & French, sports, clubs, boys and girls scouts, andhigh test scores usually im the 90%. Their grads test into their first choice high schools including; Whitney Young, Brooks, Marist, Mt. Carmel, St. Ignatius, Chicaho Academy for the Arts (CAA, private schl), Chicago Ag , Urban Prep, DelaSalle, Mother McCauley, La Luimere(private catholic boarding schl).High parental involvement is strong and the Principal knows each child by their first names. This school is worth every penny and more!

Posted July 27, 2012

Great school full of great teachers dedicated to the enhancement of all students. The school is a safe environment for learning and growing as responsible young people. The students are challenged daily, lots of homework, opportunities to excell, and recognition for a job well done. My child loves St C and is looking forward to the new school year.

Posted April 2, 2012

St. C is the place to be! My daughter has attended the school since Pre-K and continues to excel academically, social/emotionally and spiritually. The teachers and staff work with the students and provide a rich and quality learning environment. Mrs. Wilson (School Principal) is hands on with her students, staff and parents. The annual Taste of St. C event is an EXCELLENT fundraiser to help keep tuition cost affordable. Highly recommended !

Posted November 17, 2011

As with many parents, we searched so many different schools for our children. We live on the South side of the city and when we looked at the ratings for CPS schools we were literally in shock. We could not believe the number of low performing schools on the South side compared to the Central and North sides of the city. We knew our children needed to have a great education if they were going to be competitive in this world and we simply did not have many choices in our area. I cannot express how relieved we were when we found St. C. The teachers are dedicated, caring and provide our children with a high quality rigorous education. My son is in Kindergarten and is learning sign language. The children are friendly, supportive and caring with each other. The tuition is very reasonable compared to other private schools and the services that our children receive. If you are researching for a top quality program that will not only empower your child academically, but also socially and emotionally, then you must visit St. Columbanus.

Posted February 24, 2010

i went to this school up until my 6th grade year and i regret leaving because the other schools are so wild and ,ild mannered st.c teaches you how to be sucessful and to believe in god i ran track and cheered and this was a very good experience i wish all children will get a chance to attend such a school they teach you words like loquacious lol bet you dont know what that means

Posted December 16, 2009

I attend st.columbanus and i think its a nice school and i can tell you alll these teachers really nice school ive been here since preschool its great! I've gotten to know all the teachers and they know me to! When i graduate erys,chynnna,zaire,arlise,ariahnna and i know we've been taught what we need to know! i feel prepared for highschool thanks units C&D for preparing us!!

Posted September 17, 2009

I love St. Columbanus, because I attended there when I was a kid. The same principle is still there Mrs. Wilson. Also, some of the same teachers are there as well.

Posted August 18, 2009

Im a new student to st columbanus but im very close to the basketball team,of course its my 8th grade year and i had a very rough time, but i want to thank st columbanus for a fresh start....

Posted July 1, 2009

I am the parent of a 'St. C' alumni and upon graduation my child was more than above average prepared for admission to high school. The cirriculum at 'St. C' was strigent and forced the children to continually push themselves to excellence. The motto Mrs. Wilson has the children to recite, 'Good, better, best never let it rest until the good gets better and the better is BEST' is an excelllent motivational tool. The creativity used in the primary grades namely, Mrs Wadlington, provides a foundation the children can rely on for future projects. Yes, it is costly but well worth it. My daughter tested into all honors classes in high school and remains in the top 20% of her graduating class making the superintendents honor roll. Thanks 'ST. C.'

Posted February 9, 2009

I am an alumni and my children currently attend St. C, I love the quality of education and care they give students!

Posted December 21, 2008

i went to this school and it is the best school ever. I'd like to thank the following teachers for great years at ST.Columbanus: Ms.Mohn,Ms.Rivers,Mrs.Moore,Mr.Scott,Mr.Katona, and Mrs.Wadlington.

Posted December 1, 2008

St. Columbanus! I have three children enrolled in this school since PS. Yes, the tuition is very expensive but it is well worth the investment. The Principal, Mrs. Wilson is hands on with each and every student. The teachers are bit overworked but they too take special care with each child. The classrooms are small and their are a lot of opportunities for the children to get one-on-one assistance by teachers. My only gripe is that their is not enough extracurricular activities. The only viable activity that the children can partake in is the Athletic Center which too, is very expensive.

Posted May 12, 2008

I am in the 7th grade at st.c i started in kindergarding and ever since then it has been wonderful. the teachers are nice, kind, and very truthful. The school is a highly recommended school and they prepare their students to succed in anything they want to.

Posted May 6, 2008

Both my children attended St. C from kindergarten through eight grade. It is an excellent school. St. C really prepares your child to deal with society.

Posted March 10, 2008

I attended this school and now my son attends. Most people are so surprised to see that he is 6 and can read bible passages as well as books. The school produces well rounded students who go to the best high schools and remain successful even through college. I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful legacy.

Posted December 2, 2007

I am a student at St.C right know it is avery nice and friendly school I strated going to St.C in the 7th grade I was the smallest in the class but they make you feel like a family.

Posted October 14, 2007

I attended St. Columbanus School as did all four of my siblings. I worked my first teaching job as a science teacher at St. Columbanus. Mrs. Wilson is an excellent Administrator and Teacher. Keep up the good work Mrs. Wilson. Mrs. JoniAnn Jones-Chaney, BA, MEd, EMT-P
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 16, 2007

I went to this school(just graduated in june,and have been going there since 1st grade)and it was very good I would recommend it.They are strict but they know how to have fun and learn at the same time.

Posted May 10, 2007

My daughter is a recent graduate of St. C. St. C more than adequately prepared my child academically and socially for high school. My daughter upon evaluation by one of the leading high schools in Illinois tested into all honors classes and has excelled since. Thanks for everything St. C.

Posted February 14, 2007

i am a current student at St. Columbanus and I am in 8th grade I have been there for 9 years and I think that despite the good and bad things that have went on St. Columbanus is a great school the teachers are caring and the parents are involved and the principal is the great overseer and everyone respects her for all that she does for us.
—Submitted by a student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Cognitive disability
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Sandra E. Wilson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Dance
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor