Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

Posted May 01, 2014
I have been an Ancona Parent for 8 yrs now. My daughter has flourished and grown in every way a parent could ask for. The teachers are kind, interested, academically motivated, curious, gentle and rigorous. Their concern for every child is so manifest. The trips away to camp and later Mexico build character and create confident risk takers. Spanish is available from the time they are 3. Montessori works, it REALLY does....Plus, Building the pink tower is the best. I can not find enough good things to say about this place or it's people. Teachers, staff, parents, EVERYONE! Sending your child to Ancona will be a choice you will be glad you made. I promise.

Posted August 06, 2013
The Ancona School is perhaps the only private, independent school in Chicago that has consistently maintained its integrity as a school implementing progressive-based and Montessori practices. Ancona has almost always been completely true to its mission: providing an exceptional educational experience, while celebrating a racially, ethnically, religiously, socially diverse population. It's a gem that shouldn't be so "hidden". Too many people searching for so-called "good" schools go after a name or a reputation, while their children end up lacking the kinds of interactions that really prepare them for the so-called "real world". Ancona is about a real as it gets. No hiding, no bait-and-switch, just real. Not perfect, but real. I am very impressed by the tremendous education my child has received at Ancona.

Posted April 14, 2013
Ancona is a truly exceptional place with strong leadership, exceptional teaching, and a warm social environment. All of these basics facilitate what the school is all about -- creating in each student an open-minded, confident, creative risk-taker. I have a sixth grader and a fourth grader in the school now. But prior to arriving at Ancona, we had sampled four other schools. No comparison. Ancona manages to balance the many important aspects of cultivating young minds and emotions: academics, self-expression, importance of community, skills, play, values, self-discipline and respect . . you name it. Strongly recommended to anyone considering a move to Chicago or a shift from another local school.

Posted February 19, 2013
A wonderful, nurturing school. Each child receives individual attention and support as he/she develops into in a critical thinker.

Posted February 19, 2013
We are so happy with Ancona. Our kindergartener is reading out loud, says math is fun, knows all the countries in South America, and talks about civil rights. What an amazing place! The teachers are kind and patient and can handle a "spirited" child. The community is incredibly diverse. Choosing Ancona was absolutely the right decision.

Posted February 11, 2013
This is my daughter's sixth year at Ancona. We love the small, nurturing environment, the commitment to peace and social justice, and the truly exceptional teachers. I understand that this sounds like an advertisement, but really each one of those things is true. The curriculum is challenging, the teachers can meet individual students at their own level, and my daughter is developing her abilities to work with all her classmates, not just her friends.

Ancona School 4

Posted February 10, 2013
As a parent, I see the academic and personal growth in my children practically everyday. I really like all the opportunities for parent participation.

Posted February 10, 2013
Ancona is simply an amazing place. I have never found another school so committed to children's individual learning and development.

Posted July 12, 2012
I have never seen a private school in Chicago so diverse. The teachers are more concerned with how your child thinks and relates to the world around her versus the latest gadget or trend. One of the best educational institutions that focuses on the whole child.

Ancona School 2

Posted June 27, 2012
The curriculum is nice, but you're treated differently depending on how much money and influence your family has. I remember the politician's, lawyer's and doctor's children being treated better and chosen for more things than me and my lowly mail carrier / elementary school teacher parents who saved every dollar for me and my siblings to go here.

Ancona School