PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted November 05, 2014
St. John's is not just a school, it is a family. It a place where not just the teachers, but also the students genuinely care for each other. Students leave St. John's having grown academically, socially, emotionally and, most importantly, spiritually.

St John Lutheran School 2

Posted August 03, 2014
I attended this school from preschool through 8th grade. Academically the school did well by me with regard to the basics, and taught practical skills many people don't learn until high school (such as how to use a checking account). Also the theological education was surprisingly thorough and positive. The reason why I nevertheless cannot give this school even an average rating is because of reasons relating to discipline. Discrimination against families who did not attend church frequently was extreme and direct among students. How do you imagine I felt as a 13-year-old having a classmate come right up in my face and tell me I was going to h*ll because my mother didn't take me to church? Of course such incidents probably would not have occurred had it not been for the general pattern of bullying which was allowed to run rampant when I was there. At age 12, I could not go one day without being sworn at, harassed, and/or threatened by a classmate. Discipline basically did not exist...unless I could not find a piece of homework, which might have happened once every other year. Teacher always had blank detention slips handy for that. I hope things have changed there since the '90s.

Posted April 27, 2014
I grew up attending St. John's, and I am proud to say I now send my daughter here. Transferring from an "old school" (straight-laced nuns with rulers) Catholic school myself, I was astounded at the difference. St. John's is a true community. They teachers are wonderful, they are compassionate towards the children, fun and engaging on a regular basis and very skilled educators. My daughter went into Kindergarten this year not being able to read, we tried as hard as we could to prepare at home but something wasn't clicking for her, she was at the brink of "clicking". Mrs Johnson (who's been the kindergarten teacher since I was there in the late 90s-I graduated with her daughter!) facilitated the breakthrough for her, and she is now reading. She comes home from school bursting with news about class. The church community is wonderful and welcoming too. No pressure about missing a Sunday, just good people that are friendly, supportive, just genuinely nice. The children have many clubs to participate in, scouts, after school activities, sports , etc.. I highly recommend St John's to any family looking for a wholesome environment for their children. You won't be disappointed.

St John Lutheran School 4

Posted August 16, 2012
My daughter has been attending St.Johns for 3 years now. After a rough start in 3yr preschool we are doing very well! The school is clique, as some other parents have written. Seems if you do not attend sunday church on regular basis you are out the loop. The CPS schools in my neighborhood are not up to standards. I feel at St.Johns im dealing with parents that have same views and goals for our children. I love the moral teachings and academic foundation my daughter is receiving from this school. I feel it is a safe school. I feel the principal is much more approachabl and friendly than other schools. I do hope more people attend as the stress in the last year or two over financial hardships at private schools has been evident. I will continue to keep my daughter at this school until moving out of the CPS system.

Posted February 10, 2011
I can't praise St. John's enough! We returned to Chicago from Indiana last year, and found the curriculum MUCH more challenging here at St. John's. We also found a welcoming "family" atmosphere, a great, dedicated faculty and staff who were helpful in the transition, and a wonderful student body. There is a vibrancy to the school, the adjoining church, and the neighborhood. A broad mix of backgrounds and cultures come together in an environment of respect, support, and encouragement. St. John's is a place where the Christian faith is clearly supported and lived-out, and where the students not only are given an outstanding education that prepares them for the best high schools, but where they fully develop their God-given gifts, preparing them for life.

Posted February 08, 2011
i have been really impressed by this school. my children love attending this school. the teachers are so caring and are willing to put in extra time with kids that may need help. i would highly recommend this school to anyone i know. i believe you would have the same experience that i am having.

Posted April 29, 2010
The kids seem happy to go there...rare for children to like school!

Posted April 29, 2010
All of the teachers really care about the students. My daughter absolutely loves it there.

Posted April 29, 2010
My niece just loves the school, her teachers and friends. That's hard to find these days.

Posted March 05, 2009
I love this school. The teachers ae wonderful and my daughter is very happy here.

4939 West Montrose Avenue, Chicago, IL  60641
Last modified St John Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8