Posted July 20, 2014
This school is excellent. The small class sizes are great. The kids learn so much. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. Even though we are not Lutheran, my child learned SOOO much about the bible and Christianity that also applies to Catholics. My child loves learning about Jesus and loves school. Gloria Dei has the smallest class sizes in the area and great teachers. They have track, basketball, bowling, tutoring, and more!

Posted April 22, 2014
This school features multiple age classroom groupings and has teachers experienced in this type of setting. At the upper grades, there is departmentalization in math and language arts, assuring that students are taught by teachers specializing in those areas. All teachers are certified and some hold specialist certificates. Since the school is small, it features a student-teacher ratio of about 10/1 allowing for more individualization. Religion is taught each day using the Bible as its main text. Chapel is held each Wednesday for all students and parents are invited to attend. The school has an easy to follow dress code.

Gloria Dei Lutheran School 4

Posted July 01, 2013
Great. The student ratio per teachers allow the students to learn more. Teachers can focus more on the individualized educational needs of their students. Unfortunately there are no sports available for the students since the enrollment is low. It would be great to see spelling bee and math competitions and sports but as of know they do not exists. It's a great school for kids to develop good study habits that they will need when going to high school. The school is like a big family we all know each othert and care about the students and staff.Highly recommend it. Christian education which is important. The students receive a christian education that they so much need in their daily living. God truly should be center of it all.

Gloria Dei Lutheran School 4

Posted June 24, 2013
I have been a parent for many years - have two graduates and a current student . I really do love Gloria Dei, my children have received a very good education and that is what I was looking for.

Posted November 10, 2010
This is our family's first year with Gloria Dei after having left public school. I am very pleased with our decision and our children are thriving in the smaller classroom settings. The faculty and admin staff are wonderful and very responsive. There is a community feeling and a sense that everyone is looking out for one another. We are very happy and are looking forward to many more years here.

Gloria Dei Lutheran School 1

Posted March 13, 2009
I used to be a student here and I hated it. No offence to the school, but there were many bullies that really distracted me from my work and infuriated me. Basically, they made my grades bad.

Posted August 08, 2008
This school emphasizes math and science, and it shows when students move on to high school. They consistently rank much higher than other students. With the low number of students, there is a relaxed atmosphere, yet the dress code is enforced. Religion is a part of the curriculum but religious 'flavors' other than Lutheran are ok as well. Former students include business owners, executives and managers. A hidden gem on the southwest side of Chicago!

Posted October 09, 2007
This school is very small but very friendly the people and teachers make you feel very welcome. My son recently started and absolutely loves it and I love his teacher. I wouldn't change anything except the school needs more students.

Posted April 13, 2004
The acedemic program at Gloria Dei is fantastic! The student to teacher ratio is very good. My son's classes have never been more than 19 children and there is an aide in the classroom in the mornings. The students are offered Drama, Music, Spanish, Art, Physical Education and of course, religion as early as full-time Kindergarten. Students are encouraged to read and test their comprehension through AR testing. Hot lunches are offered every day. Before and after care is also offered every day. This school is one of the best schools in the area. The only reason I ranked Principal leadership at a 3 is because of a recent Principal change in the past year. The newly named Principal will offer strong leadership qualities and will set a great example for the students to follow.

Gloria Dei Lutheran School
5259 South Major Avenue, Chicago, IL  60638
Last modified Gloria Dei Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Gloria Dei Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top