Lutheran Unity School

Private | PK-8 | 153 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $255,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

Sweep tile

Posted December 3, 2012

We are very happy with Lutheran Unity School. Our daughter, Mary, has been attending this school since preschool. Even though we were raised Catholic, We love what the school is all about and what it has to offer our daughter! All the staff and the teachers have been wonderful! Even the summer camp is a wonderful experience as well. We would recommend Lutheran Unity as a fine school to attend. We also like that the classes aren't too large where a child would feel lost! Sincerely, Robin and Craig Gancarczyk

Posted November 30, 2012

This school has been such a blessing to our family! The staff and teachers are wonderful and they truly love our children. The school is small, so it means small class sizes for more individual attention and better parent/teacher communication. This school offers extra-curricular opportunities that the larger public schools don't have such as art, music, sports, technology and much, much more! They also have before and after school care! I can't say enough about this school! This is private education at it's best!

Posted November 30, 2012

Lutheran Unity School Association, West Campus, has some outstanding teachers. The curriculum is wonderful and my children have always received a good education. It recently was formed from four other Lutheran Grammar Schools and we are a product of one of those schools. The theory behind the consolidation was solid. As in any school, there is room for improvement and they are always striving to achieve better. The Christian atmosphere is wonderful and communicated to and through the students, parents, faculty and staff. The small class size leads to more individualized help, when needed. The dedicated faculty and staff are always there to talk to about any situation. LUSA is worth looking into if you value a good education for your child.

Posted November 30, 2012

As a parent whose child has been attending LUSA since kindergarten, I highly recommend it. With small class sizes, they get individual attention consistently. The after school care knows every student. I feel secure knowing my child is safe and cared for at all times. The curriculum is challenging and the staff is experienced, dedicated and genuinely cares about the children. My daughter loves this school and we would recommend it highly!

Posted November 30, 2012

I can't say enough about Lutheran Unity School! I know my child is getting a top notch education that not only includes academics but also includes learning to be strong leaders and stewards! It's an education that is priceless!

Posted March 24, 2011

My girls love this school. They have a great time learning, plus they never give me a hard time about going to school. That says alot about the school and the wonderful staff.

Posted July 21, 2010

St. Paul does provide a Christ centered education and recent years graduates have tested into select enrollment schools, but the quality of education has slipped significantly in pre-k and the lower grades. I am taking my children out of St. Paul because there are other Christian schools in the community that do provide a high quality Christ centered education. Combing is a signal that this school is going in the wrong direction.

Posted July 14, 2010

I send my child to St. Paul to receive a Christ centered education. Dedicated teachers provide the excellent academics that are reflected by the graduates who are accepted into the most competitive Chicago high schools. While I understand the school is making changes during a difficult economical time I have full confidence that my child will continue to receive the individual attention he has rec'd in the past as well as participate in all wonderful extras that are available to him i.e. the sciene olympics, sports programs, plays/musicals. I recommend the school for all it offers as well as the blessing of community that the families bring to St. Paul.

Posted June 29, 2010

It is with regret that I will be taking my child out of St. Paul. It had been a good school in prior years, but with recent layoffs and the combining of 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th I am concerned that the quality of education will decline further. The new curriculum for the combined grades is being determined by the two most inexperienced teachers on the staff. As much as the administration attempts to sell this as an innovation in education, it is really the beginning of the end for St. Paul.

Posted June 10, 2010

I am disappointed in the direction this school has taken over the past few years. I understand that low enrollment and financial problems have necessitated the reduction in teaching staff and the combing of grades, but the quality of education has and will continue to decline. They are trying to sell double grades as great new direction in education, but it is being done because financially the school has its back against the wall. I cannot recommend this school and am considering taking my children out.

Posted April 13, 2010

Although all schools are hurting financially, the administration at St. Paul has not addressed teacher performance issues where they exist. My experience has been that some of the teachers can't teach 'out of the box' to address the needs of students who don't fit a certain mold. There is also a resistance to change and adapt which will make the challenge of combined grades more difficult.

Posted April 13, 2010

I am saddened by the negative comments posted for such a wonderful school. My children are receiving and have received great building blocks for continuing their education, well into the future. A more loving and generous envirenment you will be hard pressed to find. The teachers and staff are always available to help the students. Not all schools are a fit for all people. To me it sounds as if they need to address whatever issues they have or look elsewhere, but I will tell you that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Posted April 12, 2010

I am disappointed in the decline of the quality of education at St. Paul. This school is not what it was 5 years ago, and there are now rumors of combined classes which will be detrimental for my children.

Posted April 12, 2010

All Christian and public schools are suffering throughout the Chicagoland area, but in my mind, St. Paul Lutheran (Canfield) is as strong as ever. It's faculty and leadership also appear to be working harder than ever to provide our children with an exceptional learning experience in a loving Christian environment. If they are planning to combine classes (??), I don't think it will be a detriment at all. Research has proven that each child's pattern of development is unique and that there are many socio-emotional benefits to be gained by having students of various ages educated together. Peer intereactions are often more positive, and there tends to be greater development of social skills and cooperation. Regardless of the class setting, I'm sure our teachers at St. Paul will provide for the individual needs of our children using a variety of teaching methods for the highest skill development possible.

Posted January 26, 2010

My 2 neices and my 4yr Daugher go to St. Paul. It is amazing how much they learn in a warm, friendly, and fun environment. My daughter is already writting and spelling on her own, about 5 words. Most 4 yrs olds that I know are just learning their 1,2,3's and ABC's. I can't say enough about this school

Posted November 23, 2009

If you are looking for school that provides a family orientated and involved group of members, in a Christian environment, than this is it. I have 4 children that attend(ed) St. Paul and I could not be more pleased. The teachers are very involved in thier lives and work hard to ensure each child is being provided with a positive environment. The children themselves reflect this, through thier interactions with the community and each other. My children love to be there! Additionally, if you are planning to apply to one of the select CPS schools, St. Paul, has had many of their students accepted into the best.

Posted October 23, 2009

The school is a warm loving environment with an outstanding curriculum.

Posted October 19, 2009

My son has attended St. Paul since Kindergarten. His teachers have all gone that extra mile to give him the academic help he needs. However, it is the encouragement and priase that is making the difference in how he sees himself-a beloved child of God!

Posted October 19, 2009

I have 3 children enrolled at St. Paul. I love the small class size, integrated, differentiated curriculum, weekly newsletters, positive learning climate, friendly and caring staff, before & after care program, and the morals & values taught daily to the children.

Posted October 18, 2009

Love it!!! Love the environment and the best part is that my children are happy to go to school. The Pre-k school teacher and staff are wonderful!!! My other child is in Kindergarten and they are kept busy all day. I love this school and I am happy that my children are being taught the word of God!

Asian 8% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (708) 867-0083

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5650 North Canfield Avenue