PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Very good school. Been there for 7 years now. My kids get individualized attention because of the small classes. They test above the national average. Never had any issues with teachers, in fact every time any time concerns were brought up, they were dealt with immediately. Teachers in all grades know all the students. You don't get that in public schools or bigger private schools. 8th graders help the little kids and the little ones look up to them. Anytime extra help was needed because of an academic issue, it was readily available. Cannot say enough good things about the school and staff.

We have been there since kindergarten. The school is small and offers a good Christian foundation. My duaghters test scores have her consistently in the high category In Regards to percentile nationwide so she must be learning to stay in the high 90s percentile . She also tested in Chicago public schools and had an offer into a gifted slot. So I know we are keeping up fine. They use Saxon math which I love but it is slow building. I am not a fan of the combined classes but it is fine enough. They have a lot of volunteer opportunities and actual require it. The kids get a lot of recess time. Which I think is important. Last years 8th graders went on to be accepted at jones and lane as well.

The problems started a couple of days before the school year began, Fall 2015. I asked to speak to the 2nd grade teacher and only then was I informed that the same teacher was teaching both 1st and 2nd grade. If I hadn't asked ahead of time, my kids would not have known this until their first day. Problems continued after that. Both of my children (in the same classroom but different grade levels) complained of the same things. They frequently came home with headaches because the class was too loud. They often said that they did not have science, social studies, or art because the class misbehaved too much and the teacher "ran out of time." They rarely brought home work or projects from those subjects, so I had to believe they were both telling the truth. My son was completely bored with his 2nd grade math. He was still doing basic addition and subtraction up to 20, a skill he mastered at the beginning of 1st grade. The teacher kept saying she was going to supplement the math text with more challenging work, but never followed through. We were asked to create 2 different on-line accounts for math, which we did, but they were never utilized in the classroom more than 1-2x. I expressed concern that my daughter was not working at grade level in language arts, and the teacher brushed me off, stating, "All 1st grade girls play dumb." I offered 2x to be a volunteer classroom aide (I have an MSed, and experience), but was refused. We transferred them out at Christmas. At their new school, my son was finally learning 2-3 digit addition & subtraction with renaming, and my daughter qualified for Title I reading assistance. They would have continued to fall behind had we stayed at Unity.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The 1st & 2nd grade combined class teacher had very poor classroom management skills and had a hard time teaching to the different ability levels of the students. Smart students were bored, and struggling students were not given the assistance needed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The work that was given was repetitive and overly simplistic. My children felt it was mostly a waste of time and rushed through it, knowing that it didn't matter how well it was done as long as it was turned in. They finished it only because I insisted. They looked forward to the more challenging supplemental workbooks that I bought on my own for them from a local bookstore.

We are very happy with Lutheran Unity School. Our daughter, Mary, has been attending this school since preschool. Even though we were raised Catholic, We love what the school is all about and what it has to offer our daughter! All the staff and the teachers have been wonderful! Even the summer camp is a wonderful experience as well. We would recommend Lutheran Unity as a fine school to attend. We also like that the classes aren't too large where a child would feel lost! Sincerely, Robin and Craig Gancarczyk

This school has been such a blessing to our family! The staff and teachers are wonderful and they truly love our children. The school is small, so it means small class sizes for more individual attention and better parent/teacher communication. This school offers extra-curricular opportunities that the larger public schools don't have such as art, music, sports, technology and much, much more! They also have before and after school care! I can't say enough about this school! This is private education at it's best!

Lutheran Unity School Association, West Campus, has some outstanding teachers. The curriculum is wonderful and my children have always received a good education. It recently was formed from four other Lutheran Grammar Schools and we are a product of one of those schools. The theory behind the consolidation was solid. As in any school, there is room for improvement and they are always striving to achieve better. The Christian atmosphere is wonderful and communicated to and through the students, parents, faculty and staff. The small class size leads to more individualized help, when needed. The dedicated faculty and staff are always there to talk to about any situation. LUSA is worth looking into if you value a good education for your child.

As a parent whose child has been attending LUSA since kindergarten, I highly recommend it. With small class sizes, they get individual attention consistently. The after school care knows every student. I feel secure knowing my child is safe and cared for at all times. The curriculum is challenging and the staff is experienced, dedicated and genuinely cares about the children. My daughter loves this school and we would recommend it highly!

I can't say enough about Lutheran Unity School! I know my child is getting a top notch education that not only includes academics but also includes learning to be strong leaders and stewards! It's an education that is priceless!

Last modified Lutheran Unity School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8