PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Parents, we welcome your comments and feedback.
October 24, 2011

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The way the school handles bullying is appalling. There isn't any anti-bullying curriculum

Supports LD students: Neutral

Our children weren't affected by this, so we have no opinion on this.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principle and her untrained social worker are completely unskilled at fostering a feeling of camaraderie and health within the student body.

Develops character: Disagree

We saw an unprofessional principle and a non-social worker put in to a social-worker position.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some are very good. Some teachers don't seem skilled in their area.

Amount of homework: Neutral

This just depends on the teacher's philosophy.

We were looking for a Jewish day school for our children to thrive in both academically and socially. We later learned that many kids come to Akiba because of behavioral issues that other schools aren't equipped to handle. Apparently this is well-known in only certain Chicago communities. Academically, the secular studies were so-so. After looking into the training of the teachers, we saw that some didn't major or minor in the subjects that they were teaching! As for us - we had to make a fast decision, so we decided to enroll our children. Socially, what we saw was reprehensible. If you happened to have a great class then it was all good, and the administration was trilled. However, if you have a bully in the class, we witnessed an administration that is helpless, hopeless, and blames the victim. We know that a well-respected Rabbi from the Chicago Rabbinical Council had to call the principle personally to instruct her to take a bullying campaign seriously and address it with the student's family. We've heard this story over and over. There isn't any anti-bullying curriculum, and the school refuses to implement one. We didn't want to have our children involved with this school's administration, so we left as did some other families. We would recommend that anyone considering this school should dig deep, and really investigate past incidents, ask the community about who they accept, as well as review teachers' academic backgrounds.

A couple of years ago I took a tour across the US of Jewish day schools with excellent academic reputations. Mainly, I visited schools along the East Coast, West Coast, a bit through other regions and overseas in Israel as well. My reason for doing this was to relocate for employment reasons. In the end, I made the decision to remain in Chicago. Why? Solely for the reason that I could not find a school that came even close to Akiba Schechter! I knew that had I moved, I'd be compromising my childrens' upbringing and education. Akiba is an amazing place. In order to understand what I mean, one must step into the hallways and classrooms of this special school. I have never seen an environment so full of excitement for learning; classes full of unity and respect; love and genuine, deep connection between teachers and their students. One truly feels like they are part of a large extended family at Akiba Schechter. My children are very different: one being very social and less academic, one being extremely gifted and self driven, and the other one also being quiet and intellectual, and yet they each thrive due to the individualized learning and small classrooms. Their talents and abilities are optimized and all are performing well above grade level. I am blown away by how much they are learning as students, critical thinkers, self driven individuals and moreover, as quality, contributing human beings. I cannot adequately praise this school enough for what they have given to my family. Just as a side point I'd like to mention, there has never been a point that the school was lacking academic accreditation. Had that been the case, enrollment would have gone down and I, as a parent, and board member, would have found another school for my children. Akiba receives numerous academic accreditations: from the national and state sector as well as the Jewish umbrella organization that overseas its religious academic accreditation: Associated Talmud Torahs. Akiba is unquestionably of the highest caliber of academic PreK-8th institutions that exist!

My children started at AKiba five years ago and I continue to be impressed with what the school has to offer. In 1st/2nd grade, the teacher (many times, even the Principal) reads with every single child every single day. In fact, every child who goes through 1st grade at Akiba will have read with the Principal many times. One of my children has a health condition and the school never fails to amaze me with its professionalism and concern for her. There is always someone looking out for her--from the teacher all the way up to the front office and the administration--and having that kind of trust in my child's school is immeasurable to me. I also love the school's multi-age classrooms, because my child is learning how to be a good friend--even to people who aren't her exact age and who don't have the same knowledge set she has. She knows how to be both a leader and when to step back and give others the spotlight. This is one of the most impressive parts of the school: the commitment to imbuing the students with values of human decency, not just superb academics.

Akiba was denied academic accreditation twice. There are some good teachers but the general atmosphere is one lacking in professionalism. The older grades have very small class sizes due to lack of students and there is a large percentage of students who are children of faculty... unfortunately, this only furthers the lack of professionalism and results in questionable standards. I would strongly urge anyone considering this school to be wary of the glowing reviews - Akiba serves primarily as a school for a few gifted children and many others with behavioral and intellectual challenges. The board of the school has been led by parents with questionable motives.

Last modified Akiba-Schechter Jewish Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8