No rating

Evangelical Christian School

Private | PK-8 | 41 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted October 27, 2008

I'm a former student of ECS, now 18 years old in college and I have to say that most of these complaints are ridiculous. Looking back on the school, I would most definitely would say that my parent's decision to send me to ECS is probably one of the best they could have made. I learned sooo much from this school, many of the things that I continue to follow to this day. The discipline I admit during that time seemed to be the worst but it made me onto whom I am today. A God fearing, and intelligent young woman with an extremely good head on my shoulder if I don't say so myself. LOL I can truely say that most of the values and my hunger for learning was greatly influenced by this school. It is an excellent choice.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 23, 2008

I am an ECS parent. My son is in the 5th grade and has been there for 5yrs. I agree with quite a few of the complaints posted, ie. the school is unorganized and outdated, the classrooms are overcrowded, the staff is unprofessional, the extra-curricular activities are very limited, and they don't have a PTA where parents can have their concerns addressed. I will admit academic wise my son has excelled tremendously while attending ECS and the tuition is affordable for a single parent like myself, those are the 2 main reasons I have yet to transfer him. Above all the school is OK and it's far better than the CPS in my district he would have to attend, but like most ECS parents-- if I could afford for my child to go elsewhere he would.

Posted April 25, 2008

I really like this school it has been a great place for my children my daughter graduate for them in 2006. And know doing excellent in in high school she had a excellent 8th grade teacher. I also like the class side and the environment of the school well kept up.

Posted April 12, 2008

I think that this is the best elementary school in the city and suburbs. The staff truly loves the students and works hard with the parents. Mature, professional parents get along well with the staff, but the ghetto, ignorant parents who want the school to do everything for their child will have issues wherever they go. Parents should step up before they complain about the school. $190.00 per month for 6am-6pm which includes lunch, gym, music, foreign language, chapel and more, yet some parents want more, but won't even support the school or pay their tuition on time. They complain about paying tuition, but you should just see all the expensive cars parked outside the school. Parents, get your priorities straight and check yourself. ECS produces excellent students and has a wonderful staff. I highly rec. it for everyone. See for yourself before listening to the lies of lazy parents.

Posted April 10, 2008

I feel that this being a Private Institution and NOT a Public School, should provide a more professional environment from both students and teachers. I am concerned that the level of professionalism has lessened over the years as my child has attended this school since pre-4. I am completely dissatisfied with the work ethics of several Teachers Assistants, from their attire to how they communicate with the children. If this is a Private Christian Institution, the teachers or aides should not communicate with children as if they are on the street or in the hallways of a public school. I fully understand that discipline is needed but positive encouragement is also.

Posted March 9, 2008

Overall ECS is a reasonable school but it does not hold to the expectation of being better than a public school. The class sizes are just as large and they have outdated books. The main difference between ECS and a public school is the 0 tolerance for improper behavior. Unfortunately, I don't know if the 0 tolerance is a good sacrifice for my family versus academics. Most staff members, not all, are committed to the academic success of the students so it is a toss up. The lack of no afterschool programs except cheerleading was also a little frustrating as well but not the end of the world. If a strong Christian base, 0 tolerance, and mostly committed teachers that are just as overcrowded and have limited resources as a public school is reasonable to you, then I recommend ECS. Otherwise carefully and prayerfully consider a public school that fits.

Posted November 2, 2007

First I would like to say that I graduated from the class of 2005. I disagree when people say that they would recommend this school to people, I just ask myself, why? Why would anyone do such I thing. I attended this school from 3rd grade all the way to 8th grade and if this wasn't a convenience and yet affordable school for my mama I would have never stayed I regretted having to go to school every morning and school should not be a place like that. I had very few good teachers must most of them I could have done without. I had fun with my friends but the school in general is not a place I would ever consider sending my own children, under any circumstances. The staff is poorly selected, the curriculum is ok but its not worth the frustration you have to go through while there.

Posted October 2, 2007

My son and daughter attended evangelical for 7 yrs (1999-2006) and the school does have its downfalls, but I will say that the curriculum program is great in my opinion, and it also depends on the child. My daughter is in her freshman year of high school this year at Crete-Monee HS, Crete, IL. Her grades are excellent. She graduated in the top ten of her eight grade class back in June 2007. My daughter credits evangelical christian school for providing her the best science and math programs which helped her gain some knowledge in courses such as chemistry and algebra. This really prepared her for high school.

Posted October 2, 2007

I am a graduate of ECS (Class of 2003) and I believe that they provide an excellent education for all of their students even though they are extremely understaffed. Mrs. West and Mrs.King take personal interest in all of their students and do what they can to help, it's up to the parents to back them up. After ECS I went to Morgan Park High School and excelled immensely my first semester because they had prepared me for it. Now I'm at U of I in Urbana and I'm used to writing papers and doing essays because its been apart of my academic life since 3rd grade. I recommend this school to anyone who's dedictated in their child's education

Posted September 28, 2007

My daughter attended this school from pre-k through 2nd grade, I transfered her to a public school because I thought she would have a 'better education',and would not have to deal with the admin staff at Evangelical. The new school my daughter went to had a new library, new books new building,etc but my daughter was harrased almost everyday, there was no respect for the classroom and the majority of the children had no respect for thier teacher or themeselves. I have transfered my daughter back to Evangelical, I have realized now that a new building is not as important as my daughter development as a respectable person. Those of you who say it is all about the money were else can you have child go to school from 6am to 6pm for $190.00 a month? Nowhere, I believe they do the best they can with what they have.

Posted August 27, 2007

Evangelical is not about the students, it's about getting money from all avenues. I wouldn't mind funding raising and the extra costs if I could see where the money is going. I guess to the administration. It's a shame that the children have to eat, play and sing in the same room. This school is not managed correctly and needs an overhaul.

Posted August 20, 2007

We have been parents at ECS since 2001. We now have 3 children that attend the school. We have a 7th grader, a 2nd grader and a Pre-k student at ECS. We love ECS. Our children have done so well. The have learned so much. The curriculum is awesome. We do not agree to a lot of comments posted about the school. It is good that the children learn at an accelerated level. This better prepares them for high school and college. They will be accepted into the top schools. The math curriculum is great. Our children have always tested above grade level. If we have any concerns or problems at the school, we would talk to administration and they would be addressed. Ms. Relf, Mrs. Frazier and Mrs. West are really good at addressing parent concerns. We work well with the teachers and they work well with us.

Posted August 3, 2007

Hello! I Rate this school a four. Yes the school has it's down falls and its problems, but it is still a good school. It taught me discipline and respect. My name is Gabriel C. Tyler, Valedictorian of the Graduating Class of 2005. I have heard many of those who graduated say to me that they miss the school, no matter how stone aged the office may be or how many rules we had to abide by. I personally never minded going back earlier (my parents didn't either because they could get rid of me mostly all of the year for about 8 hours a day). This school became my second home and my safe haven. When I was in 5th-8th my family went through a rough time and without this school I would have fell off. I go to one of the tops highschools in Chicago now: Walter Payton.

Posted August 2, 2007

I will not recommend this school to anyone. The school should really be closed. The tution is the only reasonable thing.Everything else needs a total makeover. I don't understand with all the fees that are collected why in the world the school continue to use the Multi- Purpose room for everything, its the lunchroom, gym, church service, children's program, etc.Don't think for a chance that you will enjoy a holiday program there one night with the whole family.If you have more than one kid in different grades be prepared to come at a different time and day.Because space is limited. Never used the bathroom there because it is always nasty.My daughter will not return next year for 07-08.

Posted May 31, 2007

For my sons experience at Evangelical coming out of Daycare was a true blessing in our life. For my son it has improved his behavior and learning. We also attend there church. You know your child better than anyone else and if your child does well in a school keep him/her in that school.

Posted May 21, 2007

I'm A former student of ECS and I must say that nothing about the school has changed. When I attended the school the math curriculum was extremely weak and did not adequately prepare me for high school. My parents have on several occasion expressed their regret for letting me attend the school for my entire elementary education. If you are considering or already have your child in this school I suggest you re-evaluate your decision, because the teachers nor administration have your childs' best interest in mind.

Posted May 9, 2007

The school is terribly management. They do not address parents concerns. This is my son's last year attending this school. All that Evangelical is concerned about is collecting the tuition. The school is in desperate need of a face lift. I would not recommend or allow this school to keep my dog. The staff, including the owners are unprofessional and all have bad attitudes.

Posted April 17, 2007

My child has attended ECS since pre3 and will graduate this year. I appreciate each teacher she's had and the administrators. If we as parents take the time to get to know our child's teacher and the administrators, a relationship will develop and dialogs can begin. The music program was great while it lasted. The children had a chance to travel and sing at different places. The curriculum is one grade ahead, and yes, there is alot of homework, but it is needed. Thank you Evangelical Christian School staff for all your hard work. May God continue to bless you and direct you in all that you do. I have no regrets!

Posted April 5, 2007

My daughter has been at ECS for two years. I would not recommend the school to anyone. My daughter is still here because I feel stuck. Unfortunately some public schools are worse and the tuition is affordable. The school is very unorganized, they are all about the money. The parents have no one to voice concerns to and really feel that they'll be taken seriously. I am very disappointed in the school as a whole and as people that represent Christ.

Posted November 22, 2006

I grduated from E.C.S in 01' and my little brothers still attend there, they are in the 6 grade i really love this school I have learned a lot from how God lovers everyone to the tables of element i will strongy say i wouldnt be in college if it wasnt for E.C.S. I really love how the jr high is ran the 6-8th grade. my favorite teachers were Mrs. West and Mrs. King.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

• Mrs. Vonita Renee Thomas
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious