No rating

Evangelical Christian School

Private | PK-8 | 571 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted September 27, 2006

My daughter is a former student of Evangelical, I would not recommend this school to anyone. The administration is too concerned about getting money that they continue to accept children knowing that they can not accommodate them. They fund raise, get money from everywhere possible, but have not used the money to upgrade the building at all. They do not have a gym room, nor an intercom system. Some of the teachers do double duty serving as an administrator as well as a teacher. The principal even has her own classroom. As I stated above I would not recommend this school to anyone.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 12, 2006

This is my daughter 4th year at ecs. This is school is no up to par. Class rooms are over crowded. The parents are the last to know about an disciplar action on the students. But if our tuition is not paid b the 3rd of every month they are quick to expel your child. Parents can not voice any concerns your have to follow a chain of command and maybe your issue will get resolved if the teacher follows the same chain. I will never recommend anyone to this school.

Posted July 4, 2006

okay school for the money. math curriculum is not as strong as it should be. corporal punishment is used too frequently for minor offenses. parents don't have an avenue in which to express their opinions, no organized parent programs. there is a choir but no musical instrument introduction, no art extra curricular activity consist of a basketball team and cheerleaders. no intercom system to alert teachers of dangers in the building which is a safety concern for me.

Posted July 4, 2006

this school is not equipped to handle problematic children. their solution is to expell,suspend or paddle them. i thought that since it is a

Posted June 30, 2006

I love this school!! If you are looking for a Christian school that offers advanced academics look no further.

Posted June 13, 2006

Academic programs are okay. Students receive a lot of homework. Limited sports programs. Teachers can be very immature.

Posted June 12, 2006

My child is attending ECS. She is learning, but the classes are too crowded. This school is very money hungry, always trying to make a buck, the school is ok, but not highly recommended.

Posted June 9, 2006

I would not recommend this school to anyone else. It is only good for primary grades Pk-2;my daughter is in the 1st grade and has been enrolled since PK-4 and this year seems like she transferred schools. the preschool and kindergarten teachers work together to ensure a smooth transition for the children. The coursework follows from one grade to the next and the children responded well to the transition. There was no continuum from kdg to 1st grade and the classes are too crowded for the teachers to take the necessary time to smooth the transition. The administrative office is handled poorly and some of their practices are questionable. The children have little time for physical activities due to the heavy course load. The tuition is very affordable, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Posted June 6, 2006

Iam very disappointed in the way the administration handles the everyday operations of this school. They don't have a gym, they have a playground big enough for about 20 kids, and the class sizes are too large.

Posted June 6, 2006

The academics is challenging which was great but I have a problem with pretty much everything else that relates to Evangelical. We were deceived before school started w/the lunch program.My daughter's teach was horrid. The school is in the ice age when it comes to collecting tuition.You have to wait in a ridiculous line which they are still handwriting receipts.They have no gym and no extracurricular activites for the children.I did sign my daughter the cheerleading program which is not officially connected to the school which was pretty much the worse decision I could have made other than enrolling my daughter in the money hungry,unorganized school. If you are thinking about enrolling your child,other than the academics aspect,PLEASE,PLEASE,don't do it.You will have to encounter so much other mess with attitudes from the faculity (especially the front office) it's not worth it. Save yourself the aggrevation and find another school.

Posted June 2, 2006

This is an excellent school academically. However, the class sizes are much to large. I think that some students would perform better in smaller classes. There is also no gym room so physical activity is very limited. The school year is also very long. The school year ends in the middle of June and they start back the first business day in August. Six weeks is just not long enough for summer.

Posted April 5, 2006

The academic program is great. The class sizes are too large. There is too much homework and not enough physical activity. The assistants traet the kids like they are little zoo animals. My child will not be returning for the 2006-2007 school year.

Posted March 28, 2006

Academically this school is great! The kids are learning at a higher scale than most schools. However, there are a few issues with the administration staff. They are very unorganized. There is little acceptance to parent imput.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 13, 2006

This is my son's first year at EVS and I have to admit I am very disappointed in this school. For one, there are too many children in each classroom for the children to receive a quality education. There is very little one-on-one interaction since the teacher has to control 40 students at one time. The before and after school care is just as bad. They do not assist with the homework and just this morning I dropped my son off and the before teacher was doing her own homework while 30 kids are running around. I was extremely disappointed and I am constantly regretting I put him in this school. He will not be there next year.

Posted March 7, 2006

My child is a former student here, I would not recommend it to anyone. The environment has completely changed. All they think about is money and ways they can get more money. Everybody wants to be a boss. I would not recommend this school if it was the last one on earth.

Posted January 27, 2006

My child is currently at this school but not for long, his teacher has received numerous complaints about last minute projects and/or notices. Recently in the after school program, one of the assistants let my child leave with another parent not authorize to pick up my child. I must admit, his previous two years there were great.

Posted December 16, 2005

My child just started in October of 2005 and so far I love the fact that she has adapted quickly. She has improved in her Spelling and she is taking a foreign language. At her previous school she did seem to have has much work which is a plus for me.

Posted September 27, 2005

this is my son's first year in kindergarten at this school. so far i have observed there are too many students per teacher, no extra curricular activities during after school programs. they do not assist children with homework during after school care. the education provided is way above what kids normalll are expected to complete but this is way i wanted my son to attend. i am just not sure they have the manpower to help kids keep up and there is no placement regimen instituted.

Posted August 23, 2005

I graduated from Evangelical Christian School and ranked number 2 out of my class. The curriculum is excellent. Evangelical offers students what no other school can offer academically and spiritually. Pre-3 through 8th grade are required to learn French and Spanish. Can you imagine a 3 year old speaking another lanuguage? Most schools are not even allowed to speak about God. What a shame! At Evangelical, children beginning at the age of 3 are taught about God. I currently have a child at Evangelical Chrisitan School, and I am very pleased with what she has learned thus far.

Posted August 18, 2005

Evangelical Christian School provides a quality education in a Christian setting. The children receive a solid secular education as well as a solid christian education. They learn how to interact socially and morally in today's society. The curriculum is above level for every grade level and the results are outstanding. It is a great school to entrust your son or daughter to.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

• Mrs. Vonita Renee Thomas
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious