Evangelical Christian School

Private | PK-8 | 582 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Sweep tile

Posted August 18, 2005

My son has been at this school since he was four. All the time he has been there, it has been a caring and loving enviroment. The teachers and staff make you feel like you are apart of their family. I am a product of public schools and I am able to tell the difference in the support he gets from this school. My son has tested above average every year that he has been there. The acdemic program they have is great! It is truly a quality education. Along with the basic education, they receive so much more including a language, outside activities and a bible education to make them a well rounded indiviual. I have been so impressed with the school since he has been there, that I could never think of him any place else. It takes a village to raise a child an evangelical is it!

Posted August 18, 2005

My son goes to E.C.S. and is doing very well he is in Pre-4 and is already learning to write as well as read. I love this school it is the best thing that has ever happened to us! If you are looking for an academically challenging school then this school should definitely be your choice, they can keep up and surpass any of the competitive schools out there.

Posted August 18, 2005

I've been an Evangelical Christian School parent since 1995. I've had all 4 of my children at E.C.S. Two have graduated and two remain there. What makes E.C.S. stand out, is that it caters to the whole child. E.C.S. not only educates and prepares children for high school, but it feeds the children spiritually and emotionally. The teachers not only teach the children, but pray for them, disciple them and give them the necessary tools for adjusting to the pressures of life outside of School. The students get lessons and LOVE! E.C.S. is a blessing from God!

Posted April 7, 2005

My child is in the kindergarten class, since this is her 1st year, I will give the school the benifit of the doubt. It is an ok school, no more, no less. I think that the classes are too overcrowded, that's my biggest drawback. I don't think 30 5 year olds can get quality education, because the teacher has to babysit. Hopefully it will get better in the upper grades... we'll see. For now, I'll keep her there...that's for now.

Posted April 4, 2005

The classrooms are filled with up to forty children at a time. The children do not receive enough attention toward there school work but recieve more discipline for the smallest things like talking or a missing a tie or having on the wrong shirt. On the level of what the children learn in class the children are far behind in Math and other areas. As a parent I must say I have gotten what I paid for an extremely low class low quality school. I would not recommend this school to anyone who wants ther child to have quality education.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 1, 2005

Evangelical is the best thing that has ever happened to my family. Evangelical helps to reinforce the priniples that my husband and I teach our children by using God's word. It encourages leadership and creativity as early as the the preschool department. I highly recommend Evangelical as choice for schools.

Posted March 24, 2005

I have to agree, ECS is a mess and if God says the same my children will not be going back next year. The office staff is incompetent and some of the teachers should not be allowed to teach(IVY League College student or not) The only thing I am happy about is the education they get on our Lord and Savior but children need some text book material as well to succeed. Yes the cost is low but the aggrevation is GREAT. Be Blessed.

Posted March 6, 2005

My child is a student at Evangelical and I personally think the school is a disaster. The classrooms are overcrowed, and the teacher cannot teach the children who need the extra attention. I thought the teachers were there to teach the class, but how could you possibly teach 34 kids in a pre4 classroom and try to reach at least half. When children are at the age of 4, they need more attention but with as many kids that this school has at least half of the children will be lost in the next grade up. My child will not be attending this school next school year. I guess the saying, you get what you pay for is true. The tuition is alot cheaper than other private school, but not worth your child missing out on a good education.

Posted January 4, 2005

As a completely unbiased parent i will say that the value of education that you get is well worth the low tuition but the $650 registration fee is ridiculous. Parents are fined for everything. A $5 out of uniform fee is added to tuition should your child forget to wear their tie one day or wear a shirt without the peter-pan collar! everyone picking up your child has to have a $2 i.D. Card and should you send someone who doesnt have one (like in an emergency) then tuition is fined for that too. Thats just the beginning! and...As other parents state...There is no pta or parents council or anything...The school is over-crowded. The education is above average for its location but overall value is overrated...And militant.

Posted November 25, 2004

I would like to say the school overall is ok and has a safe enivroment.Its pre3-3rd grade program is excellent but after that it gets down hill.I have two children that go their. The only thing that discourage me is the way the discpline the children in the hallways & doorway (need a detintion room) -tooo much homework children need a home life too. -Not enough other activities. -They do not have a pta board to get our opinions. -Summer school is a joke. -I agree with some of the parents that its more about the money because they want to charge you for everything. -I thought after school care is when student who need help with work can get it when less students in the room but they charge you for tutoring too. -Need more educated trips -charge to be out of uniform shouldbe free.

Posted November 3, 2004

I feel that Evangelical is an excellent school. My children have been attending this school for over five years. I am pleased to see that the school promotes reading as early as Pre-3. My children have gained much knowledge at this school. My daughter was able to write in cursive when she was in first grade. My daughter is currently in fifth grade. My son is currently in first grade and is reading at grade level. I feel just because I pay for their education, that it is not all up to the teacher. I feel that teachers and parents should work together. As parents, we should take time out to work with our children. If our child has a reading problem, the teacher will not have to tell us, because we should already know. My contact with the school adminstrators have always been positive. The fees are reasonable.

Posted November 1, 2004

It is a very good school. The curriculum is quite full with and includes language (French or Spanish) and Music. Last year the average composite scores on the Iowa tests for every grade level were at or above grade level. Primary and upper grades placed two (2) grade levels above. My daughter is learning so much. She ranked in the 98th percentile nationally on her first Iowa test. This is because of all the hard work of the teachers. Extra curricular activities include cheerleading as a sport, choir, liturgical dance, and there is a strong devotion and chapel component. Extra tutoring is offered during classtime and in the after school program. I would like to see smaller classes, but the tuition is low so I'm sure that's why classes are so big. Breakfast, lunch and dinner (or an evening snack) are served at no additional cost. I love this school.

Posted September 3, 2004

My children attend ECS, I find the school to be okay they do a good job with teahing the children good christian values, however, the staff at ECS doesnt practic what they preach. They tend to be very nast, unorganized and rude. But for $140 a month you get just about what you pay for. I dont recommend this school, because I paid up front fees which run about $600 plus tuition my children will attend until june 2005 but will not return.

Posted August 19, 2004

Evangelical Christian School is all about making money. They could care less about the education of the children. I have taken my child out this year because I want him to have a good education and ECS is not the place. I would never suggest for anyone to place their child in this school. Money hungry and fony christians.

Posted August 6, 2004

As a former parent i can say that my daughter techers in the younger grades where the best. As she got into the older grades the qualities were extremely low. The school is about making money and doesn't take the parents concerns and needs into consideration. As for the principal she thinks she's in the military with the way she disciplines the children. The lunches could be better.

Posted June 11, 2004

This is an excellent school!! I'm a product of Evangelical and now my child is a student there. Of course anywhere you go there may be something that's not satisfying to everyone, but this institution, which has been serving the community for over 40yrs has been a blessing to me and my family. Keep up the good work Evangelical!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 3, 2004

I feel that this school is out of order. Its all about the money. Teachers underpaid and parents being ignored. We won't talk about the front office. It needs restructuring. Too many rules and not enough structure. Who's running the place? Pray for your kids.

Posted May 24, 2004

My child has been at this school 4 years and it has been a disaster. Education is a joke and so are the teachers. The children are behind in every subject (not all) but a vast majority. I truly believe it's about money, which would be fine if in return you were getting good sound education but, unforunately that is not the case. I'm taking my child out this year but, my heart goes out to all the children in those oversized, disruptive class rooms, with teachers who have been placed in position's simply because there was a need.

Posted March 17, 2004

I have been a parent at this school for 11years. I like the curriculm with the exception of Math. I don't think the math department is strong enough to compete with other schools. The children aren't challenged enough in Math. I don't like that there is no organized parent groups there. It seem as though parental input is not wanted or needed. There also needs to be more extra curricula activities. The teacher turnover rate is too high, especially in the middle grades. Discipline is not done according to protocol. Children are paddled for first time minor offenses.

Posted February 21, 2004

I think the concept of the school is good; however the class size is too big and the teachers can not effectively give the students the time they need to understand the lesson.

Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

• Mrs. Vonita Renee Thomas
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious