No rating

St Luke Academy

Private | PK-8 | 114 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $391,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Posted February 17, 2014

St. Luke is an unknown gem in the Lakeview/Roscoe Village neighborhood! It's excellent for preschool and is one of the few programs that will allow 3 year olds to attend school for 5 day (M-F) for either half or full day (8:30 to 3:30 pm) with sibling discounts if you have multiple children. The staff is warm, friendly and knowledgeable. We receive daily email updates from our teacher as well as blog posts and pictures. I feel well informed on what's happening in the classroom. They offer a balanced curriculum and it's a small community so you know the teachers and the parents. It's a great program! Highly recommend for preschool.

Posted November 12, 2012

What an amazing school. As a parent of a 1st grader who has been at St. Luke since Pre-K4, I cannot be more pleased. The level he is at for core classes is impressive. He comes home happy, singing and just enjoying the entire school experience. He is safe, the environment is built for success. The language program, fine arts and math and science make for a well rounded experience. I very much recommend St. Luke to any parent.

Posted October 31, 2012

Latest technology (smart boards, I-pads), small classrooms, creative assignments, kind, patient and dedicated teachers, music, art and sports programs - those are just some of the reasons that for the past 12 years I have chosen St. Luke Academy for my children. My high school student has thrived at a selective enrollment school because of the strong foundation she was given at St. Luke Academy. Now I see my young ones growing in the primary grades, learning the core subjects, but also learning the importance of having "good character". Truly a school within the city that encompasses respect for one another, love of God, guidance for making good choices. St. Luke offers the complete package for the Christian family, and an opportunity for your child to be the best they can be. Stop by one of the open houses and see what makes this school so special. St. Luke offers so much for the Chicago family.

Posted April 17, 2012

We love St. Luke's school and especially pre school program for three year olds. Our son has made so many friends, even with the "big kids" during after care.

Posted August 6, 2011

This school gets worse every year. The preschool program is amazing, Kindergarten is average, but 1-8 grade is terrible. When I was in 1st grade there was 30 kids, a pretty good curriculum, and the students were very involved. Then by 6th grade, things got ugly. People saw the kindergarten teacher being very rough(physically) on children, the 5-6 grade class had 11 kids, the kids were bratty, and the curriculum didn't meet the standards. I was teased there by almost every kid from 5-8 grade. The principal is overworked (her choice) and my teacher was new to teaching- we were the test students. I had to correct her on her grammar sometimes (not to be snotty, but she was trying to help a student giving them wrong information) and she never seemed to know what she was talking about. The 3-4 graders sweared and had no respect for anybody. So no, I don't reccomend this school.

Posted December 19, 2010

Miss Hunsicker is a wonderful Kindergarten teacher!!!! She has great control yet in a very positive and energetic manner. Thanks to her our son has excelled in all areas. Overall he really enjoys the interaction with the older students one of the great benefits of a small school. Although small the parents are extemely committeed. I do agree with another reviewers comments related to the staff being stretched thin and wearing many hats. However, all of the teachers work together and are extremely dedicated to the children

Posted November 17, 2010

The school's strength comes from excellent and dedicated teachers. Strong commitment to the community as well.

Posted March 25, 2010

I have a first grading attending St. Luke. In one word WOW! This school is run very well , from the direction of the principal to the teachers and down to the staff. If you are looking for a fairly priced education within an excellent environment then stop here. Class size is perfect but the sell for me was the one stop place for before care to aftercare, hot lunch program, large sized gym and outdoor play area. I visited many schools in the Chicago area, and some don't serve hot lunch, others don't have a gym, one didn't even have a real outdoor play area. St. Luke has the complete package. In addition it is a very safe environment , very positive based education and just superb all round.

Posted February 19, 2009

The best thing about this school is the size. Al the teachers and staff know each and every child and their parents. It's beautiful. The teachers actually care and my kids (in K and 3rd grade now) LOVE them and the school and general.

Posted January 13, 2009

St. Luke Academy is a small school with double grades in a single classroom. Children are well behaved, but sometimes too well behaved. Children also tend to be labeled and when labeled as a discipline problem are treated as such. Sometimes, there is little 'Gospel' for a Christian school. The sports program is 'iffy' at best. If you just want academics and want your child to have hours of homework every evening, this is the school for you. However, I prefer my child to be a more well-rounded student in the arts and sports as well as in academics.

Posted December 27, 2008

As a former student and now as a parent of a current student, I have to say that this is one of thes best schools in Chicago and there is nowhere else I can imagine sending my family.

Posted November 27, 2008

Committed to Christian Education, Saint Luke Academy sees children as unique learners. Extracurricular clubs and sports are offered to provide a well-rounded learning opportunity. Learning goes beyond the academic in that children learn service to community and the world with their work in the school's intergenerational program - making and sending quilts to World Relief Efforts. This small school is big in quality.

Posted March 19, 2008

St.Luke is very Appropiate to my child. I love it there very much!!!

Posted March 7, 2008

St Luke Academy is a wonderful environment for children. All my children went there. The student body is diverse. All the teachers are wonderful, (with degrees and certifications). In the upper grades students have the opportunity to participate in activities led by masters in the field. I highly recommend it!

Posted May 6, 2007

St. Luke is a very affordable private school considering it's area. Once you enroll you quickly find out why. Most of the faculty wear many hats to pull off day to day lessons. There is a low class size however the teachers are still stretched thin. I first noticed how well mannered the children were and then I realized how limited they were. Even preschoolers were placed in timeouts for trivial matters. I could give examples but don't want to single anyone out. I found the level of discipline inappropriate. I eventually removed my daughter and there were many other families that left as well. The staff consist of all women mostly alum. Some who are not degreed. St. Luke needs to diversify their faculty, add to their staffing with more qualified staff and approach the children with positive reinforcement not just discipline.

Posted October 25, 2006

I attended this school along with my three siblings. There is an excellent sense of school and family pride. Children are encouraged to join sports and participate in Walter League as well as other school and church activities. Christian values are respected and not forced upon parents and children. It is a small school with monthly parent nights to ensure that parents take an active roll in their children s education. I would highly recommend it to any parent. My cousin s daughter currently attends school at St. Lukes and I cannot wait to see her in the Christmas pageant and annual Operetta. My youngest brother made it all the way to the National History Fair finals in Washington, D.C. while attending this school.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Donna Beck
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1500 West Belmont Avenue