No rating

Providence - St Mel School

Private | K-12 | 563 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $55,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted August 7, 2014

I think my school is ok for kids that are already smart like me and capable of handling the workload, but they sort of suck at helping other newer kids become adjusted. There is sort of this threshold that if a student is not enrolled by middle school I will say then they will probably get expelled or transfer to another school. The excessive rules they have are insane and make high school feel more like juvy. And do understand the money struggle. I definitely would not recommend this school to anyone else. Honestly, St. Ignacius would probably be a better choice. And I have worked with some pretty bright students who were really smart but had just not unlocked their potential, but were weeded out because they did not conform as I saw someone say previously. I feel like our teachers and staff at the school can be impossible and it is something a person can only understand when they are in it. I feel like I am being brainwashed sometimes. But on the other hand, it's safe, if that's what you're into. -A Sad Senior

Posted April 4, 2014

Providence St. Mel staff is very unprofessional, rude and uncaring. I have had the displeasure of having to endure them on several occasions. No one cares about the student or the parents concerns. I will not allow my child to return to that school in the fall. Why spend your money in a place where you or your child is unhappy in? There are too many other schools to seek. This is not the only school that colleges and universities accept students from. You can always get a great education elsewhere. Providence St. Mel is a lot of hype. They don't even follow their own handbook but will badger the students with practically memorizing it. Please look elsewhere for your child. I will tell everyone I meet about the treatment my child and myself have received from this place. PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT FIRST!!!

Posted February 12, 2014

This is what I stated it my comments early that this school does not follow there own admission statement. I just stress to the parents that read Greatschools to research this school.

Posted February 6, 2014

It was my first year at Providence St Mel I have found that after 103 days of my grandchild being in attendance this is not a school I would recommend for a biracial child. I was denied to use the washroom in the school that was not too bad considering the safety of the students. Today I picked up my Grandson who is in PK at Providence St Mel as my grandson and I walked to the car he told me he had to go number 2 ( He had to go bad) I turned to go back into the school spoke to the PK teacher who instructed me to go and talk to security. The Dean of student refused to allow my grandchild who is four year old and a student of the school to go to the washroom. It was against the rules. I felt discriminated against at this school. They call themselves teaching the word of God! Wow this was morally wrong. How could you deny a 4 year old student the washroom? If you are not Black or African American please do not send your child to this school. They have no sense of respect for human nature. My grandson will no longer be taught by faculty members in a school with no respect or morality. They need to follow and read their mission statement and follow it.

Posted January 25, 2014

I'm sorry to see the negative comments that people have put on here. I am a graduate of PSM and I wouldn't send my children anywhere else. The fines and rules are all to help children to learn to be productive in a professional environment. The hard and heavy workloads are to prepare children for college. If you can make it through PSM , college is literally a piece of cake....they're graduates don't just get accepted to colleges (anybody can go to college), 65% of their graduates get accepted to Tier 1, Ivy League colleges.....with scholarship I might add. Whats wrong with paying a little extra now if its going to save you a LOT later. I recommend this hidden gem to anybody that wants to garuntee a wonderful future for their children.

Posted January 6, 2014

PSM is all about there money. I'm a parent of four I sent three of my kids there for 5yrs. Without any assistance .PSM give the kid so much homework it makes me think what are they being thought in classes.I had to honor roll students ever marking period. Some of the teachers are very sweet and there for the kids and some of the new teacher's don't know what they are doing. I moved my kids to a new school and the tuition is half of what I was paying at PSM. My kids have so many great things happening for them at there new school .My daughter new principal wants her to attend St. Ignatius or Fenwick High School. She's attends Rush University Program which teaches Math and Science. PSM is not the only good school out there parents please do your reach before sending your to any school. My kids dreams will never stop because they stop going to PSM .My kids are on there way to becoming a Great Doctor, Scientist and a Engineer. Thank you! PSM for waking me up to see you for who you are really are.

Posted November 15, 2013

I worked at this school for a number of years. I left only because I moved out of the area. Had I stayed nearby I would have enjoyed a long and happy career there. The teachers and administration are truly incredible and work tirelessly to provide the very best education for each child each day. In class experiences are engaging and challenging. Proper school behavior is expected so that children are able to learn effectively, but having been a part of the system for many years I can say that this is typically appreciated by parents and students. I have seen many happy learning climates in my years there. I have worked in other environments and can honestly say that this school is definitely distinctive. The students achieve more academically and there are less behavior issues that would hinder learning than your typical school. Work, plan, build, and dream!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 15, 2013

I have had so many negative encounters with staff members here. They are rude and unprofessional. This is all the way up to the president and principle. If you have a teacher conference that runs over time and miss another, they fine you. If a teacher conference with another parent runs over time and you miss yours, they fine you. That sound fair to you? The ciriculum is just ok, not much different from the one my kid had at a charter school before she went here. The teachers are nice, but the staff is awful.

Posted August 15, 2013

PSM is good at sending all of their students on to 4 year universities basically because they weed out all of the non conformers. The front office is unorganized. When you call there to speak to someone often times they don't answer the phone. I have experienced bad attitudes with the staff...the only people that seem to be friendly are those in the admission office. They take the fun out of school...my child does not have friendships outside of school with any of the kids in the classroom. They don't support an environment where parents are more involved with things going on in the school like a PTA. Very limited to non-existing after school activities for kids in the lower school. So if you are a single parent that has to work for a living good luck, even though they tell you when you enroll that they're working on an after school program. This year all lower school kids were REQUIRED to have an IPad to use in school, they didn't offer any type of discount programs to help pay for it like most schools. and then found out that they would only be downloading one APP on the IPad...what a waste of $400....oh and you can't download anything else on the IPad.

Posted April 1, 2013

If I had a smart kid who was African American and was entering high school, I would prefer a more diverse school setting since PSM gives test to enter. CPS selective enrollment also send their kids to college without tuition and diversity. Walter Payton, Westinghouse, Jones and Whitney Young would be better options than PSM.

Posted March 25, 2013

My son attended this school for one semester. based on his entrance exam he did pretty good but when it came to assigning his classes they were over the top and to hard, he was always according to them getting fines for his uniform and I know for a fact that he was dressed in full uniform everyday because I took him to school everyday and made sure he was dressed accordingly but none the less they always seem to find a reason he was out of uniform. Every month I would go in and pay his tuition, well it's been 6m of paying tuition and I get a call to come pick up my son for of unpaid fines and find out according to them that I have been paying the wrong tuition for all those months and they blamed it on me.and now they want me to pay for something I had no control over!! I don't work in the office!! now they are holding his transcripts hostage because I refuse to pay for their mistakes, when trying to talk to them they are very arrogant and look down on you like you're less then them. my son has been out of school since Jan. and they don't care because its all about the money for them. Now my son's education is suffering.. They are very messy and tacky, YOUR NOT RIGHT ALL THE TIME!!

Posted March 24, 2013

It is so difficult to read the comments about fines! Stop whining already! To explain, if you were caught eating candy or gum, you were fined a dollar or two (can't remember). If you had five tardies, you were fined and the amount increased with every five tardies. You were also fined for stepping on the grass. Teach your kids some discipline and respect. Stop eating while a teacher is teaching you. Get up early enough to get to school on time. This just may keep you from getting fired when you get a job! Respect your environment and keep the neighborhood looking nice by not stepping on the grass. I think parents do their kids a disservice when they act like the rules are "ridiculous." Yes, I am a proud PSM graduate, now an attorney and I attribute much of my success to PSM. I learned there that hard work, discipline and preparation pays off...If you want your kid to succeed, this place is a great start...

Posted March 3, 2013

I am a graduate of Providence St. Mel. In short I would just say that most of it's alumni are successful and happy adults which is an accomplishment giving where we come from. The school instilled me with a sense of culture, respect, and self-love. I would recommend it it anyone.

Posted June 8, 2012

I am a former student of PSM (c/o 98). I have paid fines. I have served Saturday detentions. I didn't make my junitor contract, and sadly, did not have the honor of being a PSM graduate. Despite these things, I have nothing negative or ill to speak of St. Mel. Yes, the school is firm and consistent with disciplinary action and expectations. They should be. You don't like the fines? You are not suppose to! Don't chew gum, stay off the grass, be on time and stay in uniform. The end. These are all guidelines that you will have to follow as an adult in and around the workplace. Developing good habits start now in your young adult years. Yes, the curriculum is rigorous. It's Providence St. Mel. What were you expecting? If you'd like to offer your child mediocre curriculum in an unsafe and unencouraging enviroment from teachers who only have substandard expectations for your child, then by all means stop paying that tuition and send your child elsewhere. I got kicked out of PSM, but I am surely completeing an app for my son over the summer. See you soon! :)

Posted June 7, 2011

I am a former student of PSM. Honestly I have mixed feelings about the school. Yes I was academy prepared for college and I did go on to college and excelled greatly. Thanks to St. Mel college was a walk in the park. However I was stressed while I was at St. Mel and burden with busy homework. Because my family could barely afford to send me there I walked on pins and needles throwout the hallways to avoid getting fines for misc. things that I believe the school uses to generate money. Also I always hated that 100% of student get accepted to college fact they always waved around because the truth of the matter was by the time senior year rolled around they had already weeded out or forced out students who where considered not to be the cr me of the crop. Any school can have a 100% college acceptance rate with PSM practices. The favorism is harmful to teenager s self esteem. This is really random but something from time to time kind of bothers me I never ditched school one day in high school, I never even saw 1 food fight, and I missed out on a couple of other all American regular high school memories but yet im 23, overachiever and I make $53,000 a year. Bittersweet right?

Posted November 22, 2010

PSM is great at marketing and advertising! The school's curriculum is good, but the instruction is average (no offense to the teachers; they seem overworked). If a student does not immediately grasp the material, it does not seem to be the teacher's responsibility to provide different methods or examples of learning, but falls soley on the parents. The school should stop making the blanket statement that that they provide tutoring, because it is not all together true. They do not provide tutoring for the lower school students (K-5), but they supposedly do for the middle school students (6-8). In the meantime, lower school students struggle with certain subjects and may not fully grasp a concept, when a little extra help would make a world of a difference. Extra help should not be a question in a private school. Also, the too much homework complaint is true. Oftentimes, it is simple cramming. When a student is told about a big quiz one night before, and also has homework in 5 different subjects on the same night, they cannot really learn the material. These methods create stressed and sleep deprived children.

Posted May 11, 2010

I am a parent of PSM! This school is ridiculous! I'm all about discipline, however they find a way to fine these kids for every little thing. There's a lot of favortism. The kids will get in trouble if they tell potential customers, oops (I mean students) the truth about all the fines. The curriculum is nice however I hear complaints from my daughter's classmates that are quite disturbing. One girl was kicked out for alledgedly spreading a rumor about a student they favored. You're fined for chewing gum! I was fined for not pickn up my daughter's progress report. I informed the school I had just given birth a couple days prior, they had the nerve to ask me to bring them medical records as proof in order to waive the $20. I was told Icouldn't bring my newborn in as proof! PSM won't get another dime outta me! BEWARE!

Posted April 27, 2010

I love how dedicated the teachers are. They expect and inspire greatness from their students.

Posted April 27, 2010

I love this scool!! Even with its strict rules, it has helped me in more ways than anyone can imagine. Diamonte B. 7B
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 25, 2010

There are many many reasons why I love psm, one being because of the environment that it creates for my child

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Jeanette Dibella
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (773) 722-9004

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious