PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted January 05, 2016
Thanks for having a deaf ear to the parents of PSM. This is not an isolated observation and roars are growing.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 05, 2016
My child loves all of her teachers and has no problem e-mailing them with questions and guidance on projects

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted January 05, 2016
I stress time management in my house hold on a daily and even with that my child is often up till 9:30pm doing homework... This leaves very little time for dinner & chores.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted January 05, 2016
Again the school is expensive and students are loaded with work. It takes persistence, grit & determination just to keep up with the heavy amounts of busy work.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted January 05, 2016
Any disrespect form students are meet with harsh discipline, alienation from other students, and lets not forget the hefty fines that come along with this punishment. It is a trifecta of consequences that keep students on the straight & narrow.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
The faculty at this school does not demonstrate these qualities so I would find it difficult for them to develop their students in such a manor.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted January 05, 2016
I am neutral on this because I can not say that I've experienced any development in these areas with my child that was directly related to the school. I will say that when I send my well mannered child to school she returns to me the same way.

Providence - St Mel School 2

Posted January 05, 2016
This is my child's third & final year at PSM. The school is all hype running on glory from yesteryear. The facility does not abide by the same code of honor they hold students to; as I've been lied to by deans at the school on multiple occasions. The communication between faculty and parents is almost non existent, I literally have left 3 voicemails a month for one director SINCE SCHOOL STARTED IN AUGUST and have yet to get a return call or e-mail. The school will nickel & dime you to the very last and try to sell it as they are doing you a favor. I have compared PSM to other selective enrollment CPS schools and there is no difference in curriculum and in some cases CPS was ahead of PSM. Seriously, outside of offering a faith based education there are no differences to justify the amount of tuition charged. I've noticed from myself and fellow PSM parents that we all apply more pressure on our children to excel because we are spending so much money. I will admit that I enrolled my child into PSM because it was fairly easy and I had already missed selective enrollment deadlines. I can honestly say with the same amount of attention, pressure and listening ear your child will be accepted to 4yr universities and Ivy league colleges no matter what grammer/HS they attend. Bottom line do your research, plan ahead and reach out to other parents before enrolling at PSM. I guarantee there are other viable options out there besides this money pit.

Providence - St Mel School 5

Posted November 18, 2014
I have been simply amazed at the level of professionalism, passion and process at Providence St. Mel. To be able to create an environment where students can learn, achieve, have fun and be safe is outstanding. The academics, performing and fine arts, athletics, clubs and activities all come together in a magical way. I've seen so many students blossom in this historic, globally competitive school. It's an honor to be associated with this wonderful institution that instills discipline, confidence and excellence.

Providence - St Mel School 5

Posted October 31, 2014
Sounds like PSM is a GREAT school that is quite frankly, weeding out the "sub-standard element." The minute PSM lowers the bar, is minute they become just another poor performing Chicago school. In order to keep the standard, you MUST be serious and understand the goal of PSM. Being that I didn't grow up in Illinois but now live in West Garfield Park, I can certainly understand why so many people take issue with PSM. It's not about the having the privilege to say "your child attends a great school." It's about maintaining a standard the in order to obtain a world class education from this school. And to not be average. The way I see it, many of your kids can't cut it and same for the parents. PSM just isn't for you. It's purely lack of discipline on your part! If you want the very best education for your child, then you need to meet their standards. They WILL NOT lower the bar to yours. The complainers I'm reading about cannot cut the mustard! Pick another school.

119 South Central Park Boulevard, Chicago, IL  60624
Last modified Providence - St Mel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12