PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My child loves all of her teachers and has no problem e-mailing them with questions and guidance on projects

Amount of homework: Disagree

I stress time management in my house hold on a daily and even with that my child is often up till 9:30pm doing homework... This leaves very little time for dinner & chores.

Develops character: Neutral

I am neutral on this because I can not say that I've experienced any development in these areas with my child that was directly related to the school. I will say that when I send my well mannered child to school she returns to me the same way.

This is my child's third & final year at PSM. The school is all hype running on glory from yesteryear. The facility does not abide by the same code of honor they hold students to; as I've been lied to by deans at the school on multiple occasions. The communication between faculty and parents is almost non existent, I literally have left 3 voicemails a month for one director SINCE SCHOOL STARTED IN AUGUST and have yet to get a return call or e-mail. The school will nickel & dime you to the very last and try to sell it as they are doing you a favor. I have compared PSM to other selective enrollment CPS schools and there is no difference in curriculum and in some cases CPS was ahead of PSM. Seriously, outside of offering a faith based education there are no differences to justify the amount of tuition charged. I've noticed from myself and fellow PSM parents that we all apply more pressure on our children to excel because we are spending so much money. I will admit that I enrolled my child into PSM because it was fairly easy and I had already missed selective enrollment deadlines. I can honestly say with the same amount of attention, pressure and listening ear your child will be accepted to 4yr universities and Ivy league colleges no matter what grammer/HS they attend. Bottom line do your research, plan ahead and reach out to other parents before enrolling at PSM. I guarantee there are other viable options out there besides this money pit.

I have been simply amazed at the level of professionalism, passion and process at Providence St. Mel. To be able to create an environment where students can learn, achieve, have fun and be safe is outstanding. The academics, performing and fine arts, athletics, clubs and activities all come together in a magical way. I've seen so many students blossom in this historic, globally competitive school. It's an honor to be associated with this wonderful institution that instills discipline, confidence and excellence.

Sounds like PSM is a GREAT school that is quite frankly, weeding out the "sub-standard element." The minute PSM lowers the bar, is minute they become just another poor performing Chicago school. In order to keep the standard, you MUST be serious and understand the goal of PSM. Being that I didn't grow up in Illinois but now live in West Garfield Park, I can certainly understand why so many people take issue with PSM. It's not about the having the privilege to say "your child attends a great school." It's about maintaining a standard the in order to obtain a world class education from this school. And to not be average. The way I see it, many of your kids can't cut it and same for the parents. PSM just isn't for you. It's purely lack of discipline on your part! If you want the very best education for your child, then you need to meet their standards. They WILL NOT lower the bar to yours. The complainers I'm reading about cannot cut the mustard! Pick another school.

My opinion; PSM needs an overhaul. There are too many outdated staff members stuck in their old traditional ways. Time to usher in a new Era. My child has been there since the third grade; currently in the eight. I have paid about $50,000 over 5 years; not to mentioned fees and unsold raffle tickets over the course. The school now is refusing to let my child attend classes because we refuse to sign a behavior contract that would be part of a permanent file. I was threatened with if you don't sign this paper your child would not be allowed in this school. My child has been out of school since 10/27/2014. Not allowed to turn in homework or nothing; but they screams how important it is for the child to have an education. I called again today to ask at least let my child go to class while the grown ups deal with the issues; I was pelted with sign the contract because I'm not changing my policies for you or nobody else. I replied show me where in your policy that it states that a child has to be under a behavior contract. It's nowhere in the booklet. These are seasoned administrative acting like children; sign this if you want your child back in school. Sign this or else.

I think my school is ok for kids that are already smart like me and capable of handling the workload, but they sort of suck at helping other newer kids become adjusted. There is sort of this threshold that if a student is not enrolled by middle school I will say then they will probably get expelled or transfer to another school. The excessive rules they have are insane and make high school feel more like juvy. And do understand the money struggle. I definitely would not recommend this school to anyone else. Honestly, St. Ignacius would probably be a better choice. And I have worked with some pretty bright students who were really smart but had just not unlocked their potential, but were weeded out because they did not conform as I saw someone say previously. I feel like our teachers and staff at the school can be impossible and it is something a person can only understand when they are in it. I feel like I am being brainwashed sometimes. But on the other hand, it's safe, if that's what you're into. -A Sad Senior

Providence St. Mel staff is very unprofessional, rude and uncaring. I have had the displeasure of having to endure them on several occasions. No one cares about the student or the parents concerns. I will not allow my child to return to that school in the fall. Why spend your money in a place where you or your child is unhappy in? There are too many other schools to seek. This is not the only school that colleges and universities accept students from. You can always get a great education elsewhere. Providence St. Mel is a lot of hype. They don't even follow their own handbook but will badger the students with practically memorizing it. Please look elsewhere for your child. I will tell everyone I meet about the treatment my child and myself have received from this place. PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT FIRST!!!

This is what I stated it my comments early that this school does not follow there own admission statement. I just stress to the parents that read Greatschools to research this school.

Last modified Providence - St Mel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12