Chicago, IL

Posted November 18, 2014
I have been simply amazed at the level of professionalism, passion and process at Providence St. Mel. To be able to create an environment where students can learn, achieve, have fun and be safe is outstanding. The academics, performing and fine arts, athletics, clubs and activities all come together in a magical way. I've seen so many students blossom in this historic, globally competitive school. It's an honor to be associated with this wonderful institution that instills discipline, confidence and excellence.

Posted October 31, 2014
Sounds like PSM is a GREAT school that is quite frankly, weeding out the "sub-standard element." The minute PSM lowers the bar, is minute they become just another poor performing Chicago school. In order to keep the standard, you MUST be serious and understand the goal of PSM. Being that I didn't grow up in Illinois but now live in West Garfield Park, I can certainly understand why so many people take issue with PSM. It's not about the having the privilege to say "your child attends a great school." It's about maintaining a standard the in order to obtain a world class education from this school. And to not be average. The way I see it, many of your kids can't cut it and same for the parents. PSM just isn't for you. It's purely lack of discipline on your part! If you want the very best education for your child, then you need to meet their standards. They WILL NOT lower the bar to yours. The complainers I'm reading about cannot cut the mustard! Pick another school.

Posted October 30, 2014
My opinion; PSM needs an overhaul. There are too many outdated staff members stuck in their old traditional ways. Time to usher in a new Era. My child has been there since the third grade; currently in the eight. I have paid about $50,000 over 5 years; not to mentioned fees and unsold raffle tickets over the course. The school now is refusing to let my child attend classes because we refuse to sign a behavior contract that would be part of a permanent file. I was threatened with if you don't sign this paper your child would not be allowed in this school. My child has been out of school since 10/27/2014. Not allowed to turn in homework or nothing; but they screams how important it is for the child to have an education. I called again today to ask at least let my child go to class while the grown ups deal with the issues; I was pelted with sign the contract because I'm not changing my policies for you or nobody else. I replied show me where in your policy that it states that a child has to be under a behavior contract. It's nowhere in the booklet. These are seasoned administrative acting like children; sign this if you want your child back in school. Sign this or else.

Providence - St Mel School 3

Posted August 07, 2014
I think my school is ok for kids that are already smart like me and capable of handling the workload, but they sort of suck at helping other newer kids become adjusted. There is sort of this threshold that if a student is not enrolled by middle school I will say then they will probably get expelled or transfer to another school. The excessive rules they have are insane and make high school feel more like juvy. And do understand the money struggle. I definitely would not recommend this school to anyone else. Honestly, St. Ignacius would probably be a better choice. And I have worked with some pretty bright students who were really smart but had just not unlocked their potential, but were weeded out because they did not conform as I saw someone say previously. I feel like our teachers and staff at the school can be impossible and it is something a person can only understand when they are in it. I feel like I am being brainwashed sometimes. But on the other hand, it's safe, if that's what you're into. -A Sad Senior

Posted April 04, 2014
Providence St. Mel staff is very unprofessional, rude and uncaring. I have had the displeasure of having to endure them on several occasions. No one cares about the student or the parents concerns. I will not allow my child to return to that school in the fall. Why spend your money in a place where you or your child is unhappy in? There are too many other schools to seek. This is not the only school that colleges and universities accept students from. You can always get a great education elsewhere. Providence St. Mel is a lot of hype. They don't even follow their own handbook but will badger the students with practically memorizing it. Please look elsewhere for your child. I will tell everyone I meet about the treatment my child and myself have received from this place. PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT FIRST!!!

Posted February 12, 2014
This is what I stated it my comments early that this school does not follow there own admission statement. I just stress to the parents that read Greatschools to research this school.

Posted February 06, 2014
It was my first year at Providence St Mel I have found that after 103 days of my grandchild being in attendance this is not a school I would recommend for a biracial child. I was denied to use the washroom in the school that was not too bad considering the safety of the students. Today I picked up my Grandson who is in PK at Providence St Mel as my grandson and I walked to the car he told me he had to go number 2 ( He had to go bad) I turned to go back into the school spoke to the PK teacher who instructed me to go and talk to security. The Dean of student refused to allow my grandchild who is four year old and a student of the school to go to the washroom. It was against the rules. I felt discriminated against at this school. They call themselves teaching the word of God! Wow this was morally wrong. How could you deny a 4 year old student the washroom? If you are not Black or African American please do not send your child to this school. They have no sense of respect for human nature. My grandson will no longer be taught by faculty members in a school with no respect or morality. They need to follow and read their mission statement and follow it.

Posted January 25, 2014
I'm sorry to see the negative comments that people have put on here. I am a graduate of PSM and I wouldn't send my children anywhere else. The fines and rules are all to help children to learn to be productive in a professional environment. The hard and heavy workloads are to prepare children for college. If you can make it through PSM , college is literally a piece of cake....they're graduates don't just get accepted to colleges (anybody can go to college), 65% of their graduates get accepted to Tier 1, Ivy League colleges.....with scholarship I might add. Whats wrong with paying a little extra now if its going to save you a LOT later. I recommend this hidden gem to anybody that wants to garuntee a wonderful future for their children.

Providence - St Mel School 2

Posted January 06, 2014
PSM is all about there money. I'm a parent of four I sent three of my kids there for 5yrs. Without any assistance .PSM give the kid so much homework it makes me think what are they being thought in classes.I had to honor roll students ever marking period. Some of the teachers are very sweet and there for the kids and some of the new teacher's don't know what they are doing. I moved my kids to a new school and the tuition is half of what I was paying at PSM. My kids have so many great things happening for them at there new school .My daughter new principal wants her to attend St. Ignatius or Fenwick High School. She's attends Rush University Program which teaches Math and Science. PSM is not the only good school out there parents please do your reach before sending your to any school. My kids dreams will never stop because they stop going to PSM .My kids are on there way to becoming a Great Doctor, Scientist and a Engineer. Thank you! PSM for waking me up to see you for who you are really are.

Posted November 15, 2013
I worked at this school for a number of years. I left only because I moved out of the area. Had I stayed nearby I would have enjoyed a long and happy career there. The teachers and administration are truly incredible and work tirelessly to provide the very best education for each child each day. In class experiences are engaging and challenging. Proper school behavior is expected so that children are able to learn effectively, but having been a part of the system for many years I can say that this is typically appreciated by parents and students. I have seen many happy learning climates in my years there. I have worked in other environments and can honestly say that this school is definitely distinctive. The students achieve more academically and there are less behavior issues that would hinder learning than your typical school. Work, plan, build, and dream!

Providence - St Mel School
119 South Central Park Boulevard, Chicago, IL  60624
Last modified Providence - St Mel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Providence - St Mel School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top