PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

I toured the school a year ago with my newborn. I witnessed a teacher getting in children's faces and yelling at them for not working on their art -- at the very moment that the lady conducting the tour was talking about play based education and no one is forced to do anything. I was appalled by this woman who would have been teaching my 4 year old. When I brought it up, the tour lady said "well, that kid in particular is a problem child". I saw her yelling at more than one kid and scowling. I also witnessed another teacher yanking a boy by the arm from one room to another yelling at him. She let go when she saw us. I cried. I actually cried and left. I didn't know who to call but I would NEVER send my kid here. The environment was chaotic and the older children were running amok throwing toys everywhere. This is a bad environment for children and all they could accomplish is teaching your little ones how to disrespect others.

The administration staff, the owner, and supporting staff are great. Teachers for kids 6 months to 3 years are great as well. However, they can't seem to be able to retain good teachers there in pre K. My child went through 4 teachers in one school year. They ranged from very mean to nice, some were better at teaching academics than others. As much as it was a relief to see mean/angry teacher go, the fact that kids had to adopt to a new caregiver every few weeks was frustrating. I do not have experience about older grades since my child went there from 1year to 5. Let me stress again that I think this is by far the best day care in Edgewater. Teachers are caring and knowledgeable that provide great programs to little ones. We interviewed several daycares and this was the only one that met our expectations and made us feel comfortable leaving our little one there. They do monthly field trips and send report packages home with photos and child's art work every two weeks. Once they fix their pre K teacher retaintion issue, they will be amazing. I am sending my second kid there next year.

I attended this school from 3rd - 8th grade, so I do not know much about the preschool program. I graduated from here around 7 years ago. I had a wonderful education, it really prepared me for high school! I got a better education and more one on one then I would have had at a cps school. I graduated with a class of 5, because their were only 5 of us in the entire class! I received a wonderful education, was in a very diverse environment, and made life-long friendships! The school can be kind of pricy, but the teachers are extremely dedicated. So if you live in Chicago and in the Roger Park area I would really recommend this school!

Lake Shore School is not one that I would send my child. The Director needs social skills toward parents. The teachers need to speak up for their students and not let her belittle them and their students. After all, big money is required. Not every teacher has to like a child. Teachers are human too, but they need to be a lot more professional in handling negative situations. Parents like to hear the good things their kids are accomplishing, not just the bad. The director needs to retire and find someone that has a more caring personality and not one that is overbearing. Thank you.

All the teachers are great with the children. They talk to the parnets if there is a problem with your child

Both of my daughters went here when we lived in the city. The greatest strength of the school is the diversity of the students - my girls learned about different cultures by having classmtes who talked about home. Mses Marsha and Karen expect the kids to listen and it works. They are on top of what the kids are doing and will not accept 'sliding'. We missed them greatly after we moved to the suburbs.

Feb. 2009 School has grown: achieved NAEYC accreditation, CPS partnership and long term improved teacher credentials. you must visit to appreciate the program, curriculum and very affordable tuition.

Last modified Lake Shore School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8