No rating

Frances Xavier Warde Schools

Private | PK-8 | 822 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Chicago

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,440.

Posted September 19, 2014

We absolutely love FXW. Our son is in the preschool program. He is always excited and loves going to school. The teachers are excellent. You can genuinely tell they love the children and are committed to providing the best learning opportunities that foster their growth and development. Our son is thriving both academically and spiritually. The overall environment of the school is a happy one. Children are smiling, laughing, and actively engaged with faculty and their friends.

Posted December 1, 2013

This school was excellent! It allowed my child to become a responsible high school student. My son now attends, Mt. Carmel H.S. FXW students matriculate to some of the best high schools in Illinois. To name a few; Public- Payton, Jones, Brooks, Lindblom, Whitney Young, Lane, Lincoln Park, Westinghouse, Northside, Ogden Intl, Chi-Arts/ Catholic-Mount Carmel, Queen of Peace, LaLumeire (IN), Loyola Academy, DeLaSalle, Notre Dame for Boys, Trinity H.S for girls & Mother McCauley/ Independent- Latin, Lab, Parker, Morgan Park Academy,Chicago Academy of the Arts (CAA) & Lake Forrest Academy. The tuition is high but with financial aid, it can be a reality. From the field trips, to curriculum to the excellent tea teachers, this school excellence in every catergory...worth every penny & dime spent. It is a true investment!

Posted October 19, 2012

I went to open house last night. The school building looks really nice. The hallway, the gym, and the classrooms seem very clean and neat. However, inside the classrooms (primary and kindergarten levels), the furnitures and materials are not as impressive. The teachers look more like business professionals. Some of them are nice but some of them are not. The principal and the parents seem pretty involved with the school. The kids are very well-behaved and have good manners. However, they seem lack of fun and energy. I personally would like to see the kids having fun and enjoying the school rather than just doing well academically. That is just my first impression of the school. I might be wrong about that.

Posted May 7, 2012

We thought the school was a good school. However, the parent interview was a complete waste of our time. We knew from the very start of the interview that we were not being considered for admission. That is completely unprofessional and shows a poor administration staff. We did not have a unique experience. Comparing notes with another applicant family showed the same ill treatment and lack of a "real" interview. It was a scam to collect application fees. This school already knows who they are going to admit way before the application process is complete.

Posted September 13, 2011

FXW is THE BEST school in Chicago. The education is fantastic, but its more about the community. There is something about walking down the hall and knowing every face. I was able to strike up a conversation with every teacher and talk to any kid. You always feel secure and home. Also, it is right downtown. You grow up in a diverse area, you become independent, and I believe kids in the city mature more rather than kids in the suburbs. Also, from the second you step in that school they prepare you for that second when you walk on stage at graduation. The support system for getting into high school is AMAZING. Every kid is guaranteeing to get into a great high school. I cannot tell you how many times they saved me when I didn't get a letter from CPS, or I was nervous about the catholic schools test. Not to mentioned the kids are very well mannered, just great kids. I trusted everyone there, and there was never a reason for that trust to be broken. FXW is truly the most amazing school in Chicago. I didn't realize how much it did for me until I graduated this year after being there 11 years. If you can, send your child there, there are even lots of scholarship opportunities.

Posted August 16, 2010

I think FXW is a very good school for our children thus far. In just a quick response to one of the posters here about not enough communication regarding curriculum and class study. Frankly, I'm not sure that parent was paying attention. My child too was in first grade last year and we received more communication about class focus and studies than I knew what to do with--both via written weekly communication sent home with the child as well as weekly parent emails from our teachers.. All were very informative and was able to read emails at work about what the class was studying, and then go home at dinner and talk coherently to my children about what they learned that very day. FXW may not be flawless, but communication is not one of their problems.

Posted July 29, 2010

We are new to the FXW family, and the 1st year was amazing for my daughter who was in 1st grade. She flourished socially and emotionally forming some great relationships with her peers. As a parent, I was disappointed with her academic growth. The goals/objectives the teachers had for the students were not communicated throughout the year. The online newletter didn't contain specfic strategies /skills that were being taught in the classroom for a certain week/month. I didn't know how to help my daughter at home with the skills she was learning in class, because I didn't know what was being taught. A syllabus/newsletter of some sort would be extremely helpful in knowing what she is learning in school so I can reinforce those skills at home. I would like to see FXW inform the parents more about what is being taught and use a progress report system before parent conferences.

Posted July 18, 2010

My son was at FXW for 10 years and he recently graduated from 8th grade. While I may not have agreed with all the administrative decisions over the years, in the end my son flourished and found his true self while being a student at the school. We feel lucky that this school was a good fit for him, and my only evidence of that is how happy and mature he is at the ripe age of 14. But, if you feel the school is not a good fit, then it is best to move on and find one that is. The school's success is dependent on all the families' involvement, from volunteering to helping with fund raising. It is a given in today's world that everyone needs to pitch in in whatever way possible. I believe that parental involvement is a key reason the school has been successful.

Posted June 21, 2010

I'd be very cautious when considering FXW. I'd have said they have the education part right but in our experience that depends on whether you're easy to teach. We had two kids attend -- the easy one flourished academically. But frankly he would flourish on the dark side of the moon. The other was continuously labeled a troublemaker. Strangely he hasn't been in trouble since he left. What he has been is in continuous (and expensive) tutoring -- his high school figured out in 2 months that he was dyslexic. 10 years at FXW and no one noticed? Eventually we took our younger child mid-school year following a very troubling judgment call that made us lose all confidence in the school's leadership. No school is perfect, but this one is too expensive to be this inconsistent.

Posted June 1, 2010

We appreciate all the great reviews, but would like to boast a bit about an important emphasis. We are more of an academic success than ever, with great results in high school admissions. And our test scores reflect that students do remarkably better, the longer they are with us. But parents should also know that this year, one team or other took league victories in basketball, football and track. A couple of weeks ago, our track team took the All-City CYO championship, and one of our sixth grade boys owns the CYO Middle School record in the shot-put! We honor every aspect of a child's development!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 11, 2010

Pre-K parent that highly recomends FXW to anyone who is looking for a multicultural school. Consists of a wonderful teaching staff and excellent parent/teacher involvement.

Posted April 12, 2010

FXW is the perfect display of diversity. It is a nurturing environment that has educated and entertained my little guy 10 years.

Posted April 12, 2010

This is the best school in the world. I feel as if without FXW, my life would NOT be complete. I've learned so many things, including manners, respect for others, and self discipline, and although I'm only 12, I can honestly say this is the best middle school in the world. (: The only problem I have is the principal at HNC. She makes things forced, and is a little cheesy, it's the truth, though. (:
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 30, 2010

I am a former student of Francis Xavier Warde and then on to St. Ignatius College Prep. I feel that Francis Xavier Warde is an excellent school, but I feel that it is extremely sheltered and extremely girl-oriented. The strictness of the policies and teachers doesn't allow the everyday boy to be who he is but rather forces him to be cautious and conforming. While this system could be beneficial, it carries over into areas where a boy should have space to perform, such as sports. If I were sending a child to grade school in Chicago I wouldn't hesitate to send a girl to FXW. However, if I had a boy I would send him to St. Clements or a school that is more boy-oriented (not 'rough,' boy oriented). Yet, the school has produced excellent, well-rounded kids. Parting words: be cautious about sending boys.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 15, 2009

This year FXW has raised the price on its after school activities. There is no locked in tuition. The price keeps raising. School supplies cost me double this year. Im starting to get a little scared. Other than money, FXW is a really good school. It is a little small, but it has a good education. If your child doesn't mind being in kind of a small school and quite a bit of homework, then fxw is for you.

Posted January 28, 2009

As a former studet, I can say that FXW was the most amazing experience of my life. I spent my entire childhood and adolesence as a member of the FXW community, and I honestly believe I could not have been happier anywhere else. I have to thank the teachers, parents, and administration for giving me the most fulfilling childhood a person can have. However, I would like to echo some of the negative sentiments of the former posts. The changes I have seen take place over the years, especially in the time since I graduated, have made the school something completely different from the one in which I was raised. I don't want to place blame; I don't think it's any one person's fault. I'm merely lamenting the fact that something that was once so amazing is now... not.

Posted January 27, 2009

FXW offers a very nurturing, social and diverse environment for both the parents and children. The preschool program is well thought out with an indoor imagination room and play based thematic curriculum. Parents are very involved and the before and after school care is really helpful for working parents. However, the school is at a point where there is great opportunity to make some improvements. The fundraising emphasis from the current administration, while important, seems to be occuring at the expense of an evaluation and improvement on the curriculum. FXW has a wonderful foundation but in order to reach to the next level needs to reach beyond the brick and mortar focus and create a richer academic environment.

Posted January 3, 2009

The best part of this School is the social opportunities for parents to make new friends and be social. We love the parties Gala and we love making friends and the education is good and we made many friends here and its all great

Posted November 17, 2008

My daughter and I are new additions to the FXW family and honestly, I have nothing negative to say. Having come from a different school system, it was refreshing to join a school where the administrators, teachers, and students are focused and committed to learning. The dedication of the teachers remind me of that shown to me by my teachers as I was growing up - something that I had yet to see in the school system that we left. My daughter's teacher also makes learning FUN! This year was the first year that I've seen her excited to go to school. And three months later, she is still excited. The children at the school are also great! They are intelligent, well-mannered, and kind. Without hestitation, they welcomed my daughter with open arms. Additionally, the school is not solely focused on academics, as it has programs focused on community service.

Posted August 26, 2008

Unfortunately, FXW is a school that has changed dramatically over the last 5 years and we have moved our children to a differnt school. It went from being a 'diamond in the rough' to not having any clear direction. They have lots of plans but virtually nothing is executed well. Many families have left, teacher turnover is high, the administration is unable to address the issues and they make promises which they don't keep. There is little sense of community and while they boast 'diversity', it really doesn't exist. The Catholicism is hidden, the working parent isn't embraced (no evening options for parent teacher conferences or important committees), and the communication is often challenging. It's very disappointing to have to write a review like this but it is very honest and i do believe that parents looking at this school should be made aware

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious