PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted May 05, 2016
FXW has been everything we hoped it would be and more. The administration is amazing. Everything is communicated clearly, extensively, efficiently, and well in advance of events and deadlines. Staff and teachers are available, kind, and responsive. The student body is extremely diverse, and the school truly celebrates differences in a very child-centered and progressive social and academic environment. The school is true to its original mission and its core values are at the forefront of every undertaking. 30% of the students receive need-based financial aid, an impressive number even by national standards. We also appreciate the school's focus on service; children participate in service activities starting in preschool. We feel so fortunate to be a part of this community. That said, like any school, it's not for everyone. I would say the school is good fit for parents seeking strong academics and who are attracted to the core values of the school--faith, diversity, and service. It's a good fit for Catholic and interfaith families seeking a Catholic education in an independent, progressive setting, or non-Catholic families who like the idea of their children learning about different world religions. On the other hand, the school is not a good choice for families who wish to avoid any exposure to religion, or families who seek a very traditional parish school environment like many of us experienced as children. Also not a good fit for families seeking to avoid or minimize the use of technology as an academic tool, as technology is embraced and utilized regularly, particularly in the upper grades.

Posted February 01, 2016
I have two sons that go to FXW and this is our sixth year at the school. The community of parents is amazing, the teachers are passionate and very happy to be there, and the leadership is always striving to improve and incorporate best practices. Extra curricular programs are fabulous. FXW has instilled a love of learning in my boys. They are also taught to be respectful, global citizens who are proud of their differences and appreciate cultural/religious diversity. I feel so lucky to have found this school. It was worth applying two years in a row, getting many letters of recommendation, and passing up other schools. The education has been top notch for both of my sons, despite one being an easy to teach rule-follower and the other being a very young dreamer.

Frances Xavier Warde Schools 1

Posted May 18, 2015
We spent one year in the preschool program at FXW, following two years at an exceptional preschool. Early childhood challenges dealt with in stride, without drama, by enlightened and supportive teachers were elevated to major issues at FXW and the we do things one way approach seemed only to exacerbate any problems. As educated professionals, we found teachers and administration consistently (and oddly) imperious, and communications with them to be generally inauthentic. We struggled throughout the year to appreciate the reputation that the school continues to enjoy (garnered years ago when it was undoubtedly deserved), but honestly never did on any level. A disturbing exercise of discretion/judgment by the teachers made our decision not to re-enroll our children at the school an inexorable one. Strongly encourage you to talk with a number of different families about recent experiences before determining that this is the best school for your child.

Posted September 19, 2014
We absolutely love FXW. Our son is in the preschool program. He is always excited and loves going to school. The teachers are excellent. You can genuinely tell they love the children and are committed to providing the best learning opportunities that foster their growth and development. Our son is thriving both academically and spiritually. The overall environment of the school is a happy one. Children are smiling, laughing, and actively engaged with faculty and their friends.

Posted December 01, 2013
This school was excellent! It allowed my child to become a responsible high school student. My son now attends, Mt. Carmel H.S. FXW students matriculate to some of the best high schools in Illinois. To name a few; Public- Payton, Jones, Brooks, Lindblom, Whitney Young, Lane, Lincoln Park, Westinghouse, Northside, Ogden Intl, Chi-Arts/ Catholic-Mount Carmel, Queen of Peace, LaLumeire (IN), Loyola Academy, DeLaSalle, Notre Dame for Boys, Trinity H.S for girls & Mother McCauley/ Independent- Latin, Lab, Parker, Morgan Park Academy,Chicago Academy of the Arts (CAA) & Lake Forrest Academy. The tuition is high but with financial aid, it can be a reality. From the field trips, to curriculum to the excellent tea teachers, this school excellence in every catergory...worth every penny & dime spent. It is a true investment!

Frances Xavier Warde Schools 3

Posted October 19, 2012
I went to open house last night. The school building looks really nice. The hallway, the gym, and the classrooms seem very clean and neat. However, inside the classrooms (primary and kindergarten levels), the furnitures and materials are not as impressive. The teachers look more like business professionals. Some of them are nice but some of them are not. The principal and the parents seem pretty involved with the school. The kids are very well-behaved and have good manners. However, they seem lack of fun and energy. I personally would like to see the kids having fun and enjoying the school rather than just doing well academically. That is just my first impression of the school. I might be wrong about that.

Frances Xavier Warde Schools 3

Posted May 07, 2012
We thought the school was a good school. However, the parent interview was a complete waste of our time. We knew from the very start of the interview that we were not being considered for admission. That is completely unprofessional and shows a poor administration staff. We did not have a unique experience. Comparing notes with another applicant family showed the same ill treatment and lack of a "real" interview. It was a scam to collect application fees. This school already knows who they are going to admit way before the application process is complete.

Posted September 13, 2011
FXW is THE BEST school in Chicago. The education is fantastic, but its more about the community. There is something about walking down the hall and knowing every face. I was able to strike up a conversation with every teacher and talk to any kid. You always feel secure and home. Also, it is right downtown. You grow up in a diverse area, you become independent, and I believe kids in the city mature more rather than kids in the suburbs. Also, from the second you step in that school they prepare you for that second when you walk on stage at graduation. The support system for getting into high school is AMAZING. Every kid is guaranteeing to get into a great high school. I cannot tell you how many times they saved me when I didn't get a letter from CPS, or I was nervous about the catholic schools test. Not to mentioned the kids are very well mannered, just great kids. I trusted everyone there, and there was never a reason for that trust to be broken. FXW is truly the most amazing school in Chicago. I didn't realize how much it did for me until I graduated this year after being there 11 years. If you can, send your child there, there are even lots of scholarship opportunities.

Posted August 16, 2010
I think FXW is a very good school for our children thus far. In just a quick response to one of the posters here about not enough communication regarding curriculum and class study. Frankly, I'm not sure that parent was paying attention. My child too was in first grade last year and we received more communication about class focus and studies than I knew what to do with--both via written weekly communication sent home with the child as well as weekly parent emails from our teachers.. All were very informative and was able to read emails at work about what the class was studying, and then go home at dinner and talk coherently to my children about what they learned that very day. FXW may not be flawless, but communication is not one of their problems.

Frances Xavier Warde Schools 4

Posted July 29, 2010
We are new to the FXW family, and the 1st year was amazing for my daughter who was in 1st grade. She flourished socially and emotionally forming some great relationships with her peers. As a parent, I was disappointed with her academic growth. The goals/objectives the teachers had for the students were not communicated throughout the year. The online newletter didn't contain specfic strategies /skills that were being taught in the classroom for a certain week/month. I didn't know how to help my daughter at home with the skills she was learning in class, because I didn't know what was being taught. A syllabus/newsletter of some sort would be extremely helpful in knowing what she is learning in school so I can reinforce those skills at home. I would like to see FXW inform the parents more about what is being taught and use a progress report system before parent conferences.

Frances Xavier Warde Schools
751 North State Street, Chicago, IL  60654
Last modified Frances Xavier Warde Schools is a Private school that serves grades PK-8