No rating

Daystar School

Private | PK-8 | 235 students

Daystar uses the best available educational theory and practice.

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $270,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted May 18, 2014

Where do Daystar graduates , attend high school? When I called tge school, the lady gave me the run around and refused to tell me. Which makeme wonder if the test scores are high enough to gain entry into the top public and private high schools in Chicago. And I do not consider De la Salle Institute, a top high school. I called St. Thomas, Cambridge school and Ancona Montessori and they all, immediately told me about their high scholl placement , test scores and where their grads attend high school. hmmm, to Daystar.

Posted May 3, 2014

I question the real criteria for entry to this school, As a Christian, hard working professional, sized up upon entry through the front door, at worship, and tour, it was graciously (or not..)stated "day star is not for everyone (not very christian....)before app process began or any interview was told of non-entry...questionable process..with a bright christian child the question remains if the administration changes annually as well, and I would question why there is so much space available in higher grades (2nd-up), perhaps their high rating is best reflective of a quality sitter for younger children.Amen to that, Amen to not judging.

Posted July 9, 2013

Our child attends the pre-K program at Daystar and we have been very pleased with the School, its curriculum and the teachers. The teachers have provided special attention to our child who struggled with the transition to school and worked with us to come up with a plan to ease our child's anxiety. Their patience and dedication to seeing our child succeed have been exemplary. The curriculum and programming is engaging and interesting.

Posted April 2, 2013

Daystar is a wonderful wonderful school with great teachers and other staff! My child is in one of pre-k classes (there are three pre-k classes) . The reason for only 4 stars is the process of the pre-k parents have to interview for admission and be approved by the admission committee. Pre-k admission does not guarentee kindergarten admission. There is only one kindergarten class and there is only room for 24 children. That leaves a lot of disappointed parents and children who won't get to continue at a school that they love. That being said, if you do get to continue pass Pre-k, the school will provide a great atmosphere for learning and help teach your child Christian values. The teachers and very nuturing and every child that I have encountered there seems to be thriving! The principal is retiring, but the new principal, a former Daystar teacher is very passionate about the mission of the school, so hopefully the baton is being passed to another pair of capable hands. It is sad that many of the pre-k kids will not be able to continue with their friends. Maybe the school will expand in the future as they expanded the pre-k from 1 class to 3 classes this past school year.

Posted April 25, 2012

I researched private and public schools in Hyde Park, the Loop, South Loop, and West Loop . The research led to the narrowing of the list but we were still confused. Daystar had a Winter Carnival, at the Carnival we met the Kindergarten teachers Mrs. Doig and Ms. Gossell. During my 20 minute conversation with them I realized that they were the people that would help me shape my sons view of education. They were both passionate about the school, education and how they engaged their students in learning. I was blown away, and I am not easily impressed. After the Winter Festival I attended a tour. Then I scheduled one for my husband. We were both in agreement. This was THE school. Eight months into the 2011 -2012 the school year we are still amazed! My son who was shy has broken out of his shell. He actively participates in school. He is solving math problems. He has conducted a research project, given presentations in front of his classmates (yes, in Kindergarten) and built friendships not only with the kids in his class but children of all grades. Daystar is more than a school it is a community. They are 100% committed to developing our children. I highly recommend this school!

Posted April 11, 2012

Daystar comes very near perfection. My children's membership in this community is one of the greatest sources of joy in my life. The school provides a thoughtful Christian education. It is nurturing children's ability to live a distinctively Christian life that engages discerningly with the wider culture in which they find themselves. Daystar is academically excellent. Teachers and administrators are creative, flexible, open-minded and curious about new approaches and are always seeking to improve the quality of instruction. They are also truly committed to teaching each kid at his or her own level; no child is allowed to be consistently bored or confused. The school is racially and socio-economically very diverse, but there is also a real emphasis on building community and teaching the students how to treat one another well. If you visit, take a look at the middle-schoolers: they are nice kids! I trust the way that Daystar is educating my children, academically, emotionally and spiritually. It's a privilege and a blessing to share their upbringing with this school.

Posted November 14, 2011

Daystar is a school that provides smaller, more intimate class sizes. During the school tour I was impressed with the classrooms, the class pet in each classroom and the way the learning material is being presented to students, on a state and national level. Kudos to Daystar School!!!

Posted October 13, 2011

We have hit the jackpot with this school for our 4 and 5 year old. Awesome, caring teachers and a principal who truly cares about educating our youth and instilling a great moral foundation. I could not recommend it more highly!

Posted August 15, 2011

I cannot imagine a better learning environment for my child. Daystar is truly a holistic learning environment that encourages true understanding and analysis from the kids. If you are looking for a teach to test, worksheet environment, then Daystar may not be for you. But, if you are looking for a place where your child will become a thinker with a passion for learning, then I encourage you to look into Daystar. Visit the facility, as soon as you walk in the doors, you can feel this school is different. Kudos to the Administration and Teachers, not only is this an excellent learning environment, but this is an environment where children are respected and cherished and taught respect for themselves and others. I transferred my gifted child from a CPS school and could not be happier with my decision. While I would like to see expanded requirement of teacher certification, the growth, development and love of learning over the past year tells me I made the right decision.

Posted March 15, 2011

I feel so blessed that I found Daystar school . It is a wonderful environment for children to be in. My kids love going to school. The learning environment is fun and engaging for the students. My son's class this year was studying sea creatures for a science unit; not only did they read about sea creatures ; they went to the Shedd aquarium and dissected a squid. Rather than just memorizing facts for tests that they will soon forget Daystar students are an active part of their learning. Daystar students are well rounded good kids. There is strong feeling of family among the teachers and the parents. A wonderful school. I wish Daystar had a high school.

Posted September 28, 2010

My daughter attends Daystar s preschool. She loves her teacher and everything about her class. I love that the teacher adheres to developmentally appropriate practice , values each child, and is joyful and energetic. Students learn in the context of community. The teacher makes it a point to create a loving and safe environment where children can learn through experimentation and various ways. Her teacher also makes a point to forge a relationship with myself and the other parents. This school is everything I wanted for my daughter. It is a huge blessing for my daughter and for us.

Posted May 10, 2010

My daughter came to Day Star in the 6th. Grade and it was a match made in heaven. She transferred from a CPS school where the students were taught to the test and pushed to pass the test , while dealing with a lot of the social problems that the other students brought to the classroom. At Day Star, she was introduced to books and reading as never before. Now we frequent the Chicago Public Library at her request to get books she is interested in. Math use to be a dreaded subject but now she can be found curled up on a coach working in her math book. The excursions (class trips) have given her 1st. hand experience into different communities, cultures, historical and current events. She comes home excited to report on what her class discussed or discovered. Day Star has opened her mind to a joy for learning. Day Star has not only given her a great love and excitement of academic learning but now she is in an environment where she can freely pray, given thanks to God, and read her bible. The more fully we give ourselves to the word of God, the more fully understanding comes in to our life . At Day Star, Education and God go hand in hand.

Posted May 3, 2010

Students at Daystar are taught how to think outside the box, how to ask questions, and how to find the answers to their questions--not simply memorize and regurgitate facts that are soon forgotten. Students work individually and in groups, both large and small, and there are many community-building activities across grade levels. The older students recognize that they are role models to the younger students, and behave accordingly. The student body is intentionally diverse-unusual in many private schools. Parental involvement is welcomed. Comparatively speaking, the tuition is reasonable, given there are no extra fees for the many field trips, and school supplies are provided. The children play outside or have P.E. everyday, plus there are weekly classes in art, music and Spanish all of which are being cut in many other schools. I don't have enough room to say all I love about it, but HIGHLY recommend Daystar.

Posted April 30, 2010

Daystar has been a wonderful academic experience for my third grader. The small class sizes allow for individual focus on the students which has been great for my son. His teachers immediately honed in on where he needed a little extra help and he has been able to develop in exactly that area. He was not lost in the class which could have happened in a class with a large # of students. We also love the general knowledge that the children are exposed to -- public speaking, extensive book reports, small plays and other projects that help in having 'well-rounded and balanced' children and that the school is highly diverse. The Principal is amazing and knows her stuff. I regularly receive personal emails from my child's teacher about his progress and that is huge!!

Posted February 24, 2010

For the most part, Daystar was a good experience for our family. But be careful! For some children, the curriculum is only effective/fun up until a certain age. When you leave the school, significants gaps will become clear. For example, student/parent/teacher accountability, writing, science, math, history, etc. All of the field trips are fun for a few years, but they cannot make up for the lack of basic skills. When we started at the school, I accepted that I would have to go outside for music and sports, but I really did not anticipate that I would have to also hire multiple tutors to cover academics.

Posted February 24, 2010

Daystar has created an outstanding learning environment for the students. The student teacher ratio is fantastic and more importantly, the teachers are fully enganged which allows them to intelligently assess students strenths and weaknessess and incorporate that knowledge into the class curriculum. Highly reccommended for parents looking for a strong learning environment that is also fun and engaging for the students. Parental involvemnet is strong and highly encouraged by the school association and administration. Very open to ideas and suggestions for continual improvement. If you are a go getter who wants to actively participate in your child's educational experience. This is the place for you.

Posted February 10, 2010

Daystar is Chicago's best kept secret!! We didn't learn about Daystar School until we had already been in Chicago for a year. As soon as I read the website I immediately wanted to send our son there - sight unseen. We applied then toured the school during our interview. Wow!! It's huge and new, bright, well-designed. The teachers work together with to create a cohesive, well-rounded, whole person learning experience. The kindergarten kids interviewed someone they thought made a difference then wrote a report about that person & presented to the class. What kindergarten kid does that elsewhere?!! The tuition is affordable, includes 30+ field trips and all school supplies. To supplement class learning, each class goes on 30+ field trips/year. The field trips are short and to the point of what they are learning about. Highly recommend this school.

Posted January 27, 2010

We have been involved with Daystar for six years. I am a teacher and more particular than most about the quality of my child's education. We could not be happier with Daystar. The student to teacher ratio is very low. The teachers are outstanding and go the extra mile and way beyond what we have ever experienced before. Daystar's curriculum is very well thought out and meaningful. The principal is a strong, kind, insightful leader. Students at Daystar want to come to school and are very engaged in learning. Though there are now over a hundred students, there is incredible trust, integrity and a feeling of family at Daystar. We love this school and only wish that it would start a high school. We strongly recommend it to any parent of pre-k through 8th graders. We feel that our child has been thoroughly prepared for high school and for life.

Posted January 2, 2009

five star its a wonderful school
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 11, 2006

My boys have attended Daystar for a combined total of 13 years. I love this school because it is culturally mixed and they use the city as a classroom. Learning excursions are tied to unit studies; music and art programs are outstanding; parents are a vital part of the school's success because we are invited to participate in so many ways. I highly recommend this Christian school to anyone who wants a well rounded experience for their elementary school aged kids.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Tami Doig
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Calvinist
Associations
  • CSI
Fax number
  • (312) 791-0002

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Selective Enrollment High Schools