No rating

Oakdale Christian Academy

Private | PK-8 | 322 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted April 20, 2014

Wonderful things are happening here. The principal and teachers are there for the kids. They do what they can to help them all. There are a lot of parents involved too, but more could be. More parents should support the teachers so they can get the kids to their highest potential. Graduates have gone on to do well in high school.

Posted May 21, 2012

I have had my share of ups and downs with Oakdale, Like with any school, there is not a perfect one out there, However instead of complaining with others about it, I took a more active role by doing my part as a parent and interacting with the teachers to make sure that we find the missing links, was it my child, teacher, myself? With me taking a more hands on type of approach, we were able to get to the real problem. Everything is on track and I have found that a little support goes a long way. With the right spirit, all parties can get the understanding and correct all mistakes. I love Mrs Humphries, Mrs Woods, and a lot of the other office staff and teachers at OCA. Let Keep praying for our school and support PTO with the help of other Parents we can get alot done.

Posted August 25, 2011

OCA is a great school, but the students also need parent participation. If you're having a problem with the education your child is receiving, it is up to the parent to bring to the teacher's attention, if that doesn't work take it to the principal. I'm one of the parents who wants to know my child's progress, so I inquire often to stay abreast of her academic classes. One of my daughter's goals is to attend a certain magnet high school, so she must test well. I'm praying that she's receives the proper instructions this year while testing. Go Teachers and OCA Concert Choir!!!!!

Posted March 16, 2010

This school is good i love the school.

Posted February 22, 2010

Oakdale Christian Acacdemy is a great school. My so has been attening since Prek-2 and every teacher has assisted with his academic and social skills. Oakdale teahers are caring and compassionate; however, they do believe in structure/discipline. Ms. Humphries is always pleasant and she does enforce the school policies. You always know what is going on with the school from the school bulletins, PTO meetings, and the information board posted. Presently, my child is in Kindergarten, and he loves the school. Academically, they do challenge the students, and do not believe in passing no one without them earning the grades. Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Johnsons are great with the students and have excellent patience. Ms. Green, Ms. Tracy, Ms. Barbara, Ms. Ellens and Ms. Johnsons were great and very impressionable. Since my son was in Prek-3 he has participated in Akido and basketball. Kudos to Mr. Jacksond and coach Parker.

Posted December 10, 2009

OCA is a good school. I recommend Mrs. Woods! My daughter is in her class and she also participates in the cheer/dance program. Mrs. Woods exceeds parents expectations and challenges students to their best. This lady is good at what she does!

Posted November 12, 2009

I was put in the same situtation, its just like a Public School, some main subjects are not being taught in the upper grade. The teachers are very laid back giving the children too much free time. I removed my child after the first quarter.

Posted November 9, 2009

My child attended this school for two years (from 2007 to 2009) and it went from being ok to the absolute pits!! The principal did not enforce disciplinary actions therefore, the students basically were doing whatever they liked. If you and your child are not fortunate enough to land in a classroom with a caring and attentive teacher you can forget it, because there is no leadership at the top. The school's tuition is too high for the education and services that your child will receive. I am so happy that me, my child and my money are elsewhere.

Posted October 14, 2009

My child attended this school, and I am extremely dissappointed in the lack of teacher instruction. OCA is a Christian based institiution, yet it extremely parallel to A CPS school. I removed my child from this school, there was no structure in curriculum, teachers are were not board certified, to instruct a classroom, classess are dramatically overcroweded!!!. Overall I was horrfied that I allowed my child to endure this type of education. As many parents do, in the begginning I thought I was providing my child with a quality education. Instead I did them a dis-quality of education by allowing them to attend OCA!

Posted March 18, 2009

My child attends this school. The curriculum is great and appears to be two grades above grade level. Mrs. Rondo is her teacher, she keeps us on our toes. Two thumbs up for Oakdale!!

Posted February 3, 2009

I love this school! My son who is in 1st grade started in Nov. of 2008. The teachers are wonderful and the afterschool programs are excellent.

Posted February 1, 2009

oakdale is a wonderful school. My child use to attend there before we move and she love it she was crying when we move the best teacher there was to me is mrs.Sanders and Mrs.Randolph the help her all the way I will always remember that school

Posted June 3, 2008

I think this school is excellent the activities are great the food is excellent and the people there are very kind and caring.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 24, 2007

My son who is now in the 1st grade has attended Oakdale Christian Academy since Kindergarten. I highly recommend this Christian based institution for any parent wanting the best in education, discipline, values and nurturing for their children. Mrs. Humphries is a wonderful, down to earth principal who I hold in the highest regards. She has a personal relationship with her staff, students and parents. She tackles all issues head on with a positive outlook. I am more than satisfied with the level in which my son performs academically as well as with his behavior. Being an active 6 year old he s made some significant improvements and I believe that Mrs. Humphries approach and dedication to each child and their current situation has made all the difference. This Christian based educational environment makes me feel at ease knowing the principal and staff has my child s best interest at heart.

Posted October 9, 2007

My son just started attending this school in Sept but I am very impressed with the environment. My son's teacher is the best. Mrs. Woods is her name highly recommended! I can't say much for the extra curricular activities I have only seen martial arts for the boys. I haven't paid any attention to girls activities but the school is great.

Posted August 21, 2006

this is a wonderful school the teacher's are all great and will leave a great impact on your kids.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 19, 2006

The teachers are great. Family-like environment. The academic programs are fine. The school administration works with the parents to create a healthy learning environment. Plenty of science projects:) A wide variety of choices for the afterschool programs( Tap, Ballet, Martial Arts, Music, Basketball and Computer Lab). Due to the school projects, homework and field trips. Parents are routinely involved in their child's development.

Posted January 21, 2006

Nice school. No sport programs.

Posted January 10, 2006

My nephews attended this school and the best thing about it is the emphasis placed on good christian values. I attended several of my nephews holiday assemblies and appreciated the quality of the childrens' performances, but I also appreciated the depth and the heart the children presented while performing. The assemblies were not far from a good Sunday morning worship service, although without many of the theatrics. As far as education, my nephews test scores were never below average, so that stands for something.

Posted March 24, 2005

Oakdale Christian Academy school is 'great'. My child is in the 2nd grade he started in Pre-3. The teachers and current principal are wonderful they are dedicated to their profession. The principal promotes high standards for the students. She holds the parents, students and teachers all accountable. The teachers and the parents work together for the success of the children. Other staff memembers such as (administrative staff, security etc) all bring a spirit of love and kindness to the school. I am praying that the school will advance to the 7& 8th grade, so that my son can continue his academic success at the greatest school in Chicago Oakdale Christian Academy.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 2:45pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Affiliation
  • Other
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught

• Computer specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options
  • None
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports

• Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parent teacher organization meets once per month; parents are encouraged to attend field trips and volunteer; parent committees for specific needs