Pilgrim Lutheran School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 14, 2015
The school promotes service (through require hours), ethics, tolerance & cultural diversity( they partner with other schools in the city for event).

Posted August 14, 2015
Pilgrim Lutheran School is a wonderful school! We have been at Pilgrim two years and our second child will be starting in the fall. The environment is very caring and they offer a high quality education. The older kids partner with the KG and Pre-K kids and are very kind and thoughtful to the younger ones. The main reason we chose Pilgrim was the high number of students going on to selective enrollment high schools in the city. Pilgrim really prepares its students for the future. Another reason we chose Pilgrim is that it has many extra activities for the kids, particularly a band program which was important to us. (It was frustrating that our neighborhood CPS school didn't offer band) The after-care program is terrific too. The school is very inclusive and nurturing. While it is a parochial school and even though we are not of the faith, Pilgrim is welcoming of everyone.

Posted April 10, 2015
We have been at Pilgrim since three year old preschool (about 4 years for our oldest child) and I also did my student teaching for my education degree with Mrs. Tighe in the 4/5 classroom. I am constantly amazed buy all the wonderful aspects of this school- the teachers care, classes are small, kids are taught to REALLY consider and help others and they do well academically. I think this is a hidden gem in the city. I sub in the upper grades and every one of those kids is polite, kind, caring, smart and creative. They can be themselves and are just respectful teenagers (is that an anomaly? :) who look out for one another and are really great kids. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted March 28, 2015
I'm a grateful Pilgrim parent for 8 years & advocate the exceptional academic standards in a safe & loving setting. Pilgrim's a trusted organization, treasured by friendly families in a safe neighborhood. We've lived close to Pilgrim 17 years prior to children & know the positive spirit, cheerful students & service to our area from the teachers as well - it's a joy! Pilgrim was part of the reason we chose to live here. We know Pilgrim offers the highest quality for education & safety for our child. Pilgrim keeps quantitatively high academic standards in a constructive & buoyant learning environment inviting to all faiths. Acknowledged for their talents, the students are secure & know themselves! The experienced teachers have a broad approach, combining academic, emotional and social education . Our kids are conscientious, critical thinkers & problem solvers with a clear outlook. They know service, ethics, tolerance & cultural diversity. Pilgrim's 7th /8th graders are guided through the process to selective secondary schools with success. We believe our graduates are courageous & principled citizens, empowered to flourish in a changing world. Pilgrim is a gem to be shared!

Posted March 23, 2015
Pilgrim provides a wonderful education in a nuturing environment. Every teacher knows every child's name and who they are. Pilgrim also provides a welcoming community for parents. We couldn't be happier with our choice for our daughter.

Posted March 23, 2015
When I was looking for a school for my sons, Riley and Connor, I was overwhelmed with my choices. I was looking for a school that had a safe and loving climate, but also was academically rigorous for my children. I was lucky to find all of this and more at Pilgrim! My boys LOVE school. They love their principal, teachers and friends. They LOVE learning and this to me is the best testament to Pilgrim Lutheran. As a parent, I couldn't want more for my children. The education they are receiving in the core subject areas is excellent. Pilgrim also has a strong arts program that is missing in many of the schools. The added bonus is that Pilgrim helps reenforce our family values such as helping the less fortunate thourgh service projects and being mindful of others. I feel very fortunate to have found Pilgrim.

Posted March 23, 2015
i am a long time parent and volunteer. Both of my sons attended Pilgrim from the Early Childhood 3 year old program - 8th grade. My older son attends Northside College Prep. H.S.. My younger son will graduate this spring and will be attending Whitney Young H.S. this fall. My sons both thrived at Pilgrim. They enjoyed the small classes. They were encouraged to be individuals. The teachers provide a nurturing environment while holding all the students to strong academic standards. I never worried about them. I knew they were getting the best education in the best environment. Pilgrim has a very special quality that is hard to put into words. I know it helped shape my sons into the caring, intelligent young men they are today. Pilgrim is a place to grow, explore, learn and succeed.

Posted March 17, 2015
Pilgrim truly does provide Academic Excellence with a Heart! The play-based approach in Early Childhood years allows students to explore and ask questions that develop higher level thinking skills. By 3rd grade, Pilgrim students have developed the comprehension and problem-solving skills that allow them to score well above average on standardized testing. Every member of the class of 2015 who applied to CPS selective enrollment got in! Pilgrim also allows kids to explore their highest potential in the arts, the sciences, and on the playing field. Pilgrim nurtures the spirit of each child. We enjoy significant religious diversity within our student body, while affirming our identity as a Christ-centered school in the Lutheran tradition. Students learn service through the Pilgrim Kids Care program in partnership with local social service groups and our partner schools. Students study the stories in the Bible and share them through weekly chapel. Pilgrim encourages reflection and discussion that builds students into leaders in the school and in the world.

Posted February 22, 2015
What a great school! We have been here for five years and have children in 4th and 2nd grade. Our kids have thrived here, both socially and academically. The smaller class sizes mean lots of personal attention and interaction between the grades, with older kids helping younger. As a parent, there many different ways to help and I always feel like school administration really listens to our suggestions. There are many improvements underway - from a new science lab to upgraded playlot - driven largely by parent involvement. Our kids are very happy in this safe, nurturing environment, and this is reflected in grades, test scores and a real love of school.

Posted February 22, 2015
We had planned to send our child to CPS, but the high class sizes and emphasis on testing left us searching for an alternative. We feel so lucky to have found Pilgrim. While CPS has moved to an exhausting 7 hour kindergarten day, Pilgrim still offers a half day program, with an option to stay full day from 1 to 5 days a week, for a total of 6 hours a day. Instead of feeling like I'm sending our child off to an education factory, I feel like she is getting everything that was important to me in a school - a loving faculty that guides instead of punishes, a rich curriculum, and plenty of time to play and eat. The before/after school program is fantastic and offers additional options like circus arts, dance, and soccer. Hot lunches are tasty, local, and organic. While the school itself is not very diverse, the students interact throughout the year with Pablo Casals Elementary and St. Paul's Dorchester. The principal is accessible and is continually implementing ideas to improve an already great school. Parents are welcome to volunteer as much or as little as they wish. There is Spanish, band, choir, volleyball, basketball, and track. It really is the best of all worlds.

Pilgrim Lutheran School
4300 North Winchester Avenue, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Pilgrim Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Pilgrim Lutheran School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top