Perspectives Charter High School

Charter | 6-12 | 2322 students

Posted July 23, 2013

Perspectives Middle Academy has its ups and downs. However, any school with the average student coming in multiple years below grade level will have those issues. I used to teach in a CPS neighborhood school where I received absolutely no support from my administration and was shunned by other staff members because I was the only male on staff. PMA's staff has become my family. The school requires a great deal from its staff with most staying way beyond the 3:45 bell. The students, as well as the staff truly receive a holistic education and improve each day.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 3, 2013

I am a teacher at the Math & Science Academy and I love my job and my students. I truly feel that everyone on staff cares immensely for the children and for each other. Teachers can often be found collaborating with one another over lessons or reaching out to parents to set shared goals for student growth. The paycheck/demerit system can seem overwhelming at first, but after seeing it in action I must admit that I am a believer. It IS important for students to tuck in their shirts and be on time to class--these are basic principles of any successful, professional career and they should begin in the classroom. As for student behavior, it is important to note that some--although certainly not all--of our students come from challenging backgrounds. However, I am deeply impressed with the way that MSA meets the behavioral needs (IEP or not) of all of its students. I am proud to be an MSA Wolf.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 10, 2013

My son went to both Joslin and IIT/MSA campus. However IIT/MSA was the only school that took my son's educational struggles serious and diagnosed him correctly with an IEP program to help him become successful. I had brought my concerns to the teachers and administrators many of times at other schools unfortunately they were not equipped to handle issue of learning disabilities so my son's situation was not diagnosed at its earlier stages. It took a total of 6 years at one school including pre-K, two years at other schools and he repeating 6th grade to be diagnosed correctly as having ADHD. Wasted money, efforts, countless enrollments for summer school did not find the problem with my child. Luckily with my persistence in seeking help we are at a better state and he is making improvements at IIT/MSA institution that did not fail him. My only concerns is the safety of the students within and outside the school. It seems this schools harvest a lot of kids with behavior issues. The discipline theory is a little misguided in giving a lot of demerits instead of solving issues and rectifying behaviors problems.

Posted February 29, 2012

I attended the Perspectives that's located at 1930 S. Archer. I attended Perspectives all four years of high school and I have never had a complaint. This is really a good school and I was awarded some really great opportunities. I held three great internships during my time there, I was able to travel to Mali, West Africa for the summer to build a school, I developed a healthy lifestyle, great work ethnic and I went on to successfully attend and graduate from college. I'm not sure how the other campuses work but the PCS that's located on archer, would be a great choice to send your children to.

Posted March 20, 2011

i have child that goes there and she love loves it and she is doing better

Posted March 17, 2011

This is not the school for a child who has any disabilities, they don't the understanding or the resources that will aid in a child's success They make the effort but they don't make the grade

Posted March 7, 2011

I have 2 children that attend the IIT MSA and i absolutely LOVE IT, my daughter also attended the Calumet Middle School. the only reason my son is not going to high school there is because of the lack of athletics. the teachers are very responsive and email me the moment an assignment is missed. i never have a problem with assignments or "demerits" because my children know WHY they are there - to get an education. they do have a few kinks to work out, such as the "healthy lifestyle" program. the teachers don't seem to follow it and the lunch served isn't tasty, so my kids come home starving. they also need more clubs/activities. other than that, i love this school and highly recommend it

Posted March 1, 2011

not so great school I feel sorry for them because they had great intentions but they need to face reality they are not that good of a school

Posted January 16, 2011

We (my chid and I) entered the PCS family in the fall of 2010. The experience has been a good one. I see a big change in my child's character since being introduced to the principals of ADL. Consequently, his academic achievement has improved and he likes his classes and teachers. Communication between teachers and parents is awesome! Leadership is highly visible in the school and the kids are held accountable for their choices. The school atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the kids are in a safe environment. Parents are welcome to be involved in their child's education and assignments and grades are posted in PowerSchool on a weekly basis if not daily. Our family made an excellent choice in choosing a school and we are well informed on our child's progress. I highly recommend PCS!

Posted December 7, 2010

It's too bad I couldn't rate this as 0 stars. Sending my child to the IIT-MSA campus is the biggest mistake I could have ever made. This school is absolutely horrible. The staff are unresponsive, unorganized and spend 90% of the time handing out demerits, detentions and trying to enforce this ADL crap instead of conducting constructive educational classes. I was appalled to learn that the English class does not use an English book. Instead, they use a simple 150 page paperback book that most kids would read over the weekend just to meet the "Reading is Fundamental" guidelines. No spelling tests. No proper sentence structuring. Instead, they're told that as long as the sentences "sound" correct then it doesn't matter if there are misspellings or incomplete sentences. And, to make matters worse, they expect parents to sign off on these "assignments". I refuse to let my child think that just completing something without it being correct is acceptable. My child is coming out of this school ASAP. Do NOT send your child(ren) to this school.

Posted September 20, 2010

I was speaking of the 81st & May campus. this campus has a new principle. This woman has adopted the demerit system, and has put the children at such a disadvantage. Allow me to also add that there has been many things eliminated out of the school, NO Physical Education, Music or art, and the fist period of lunch is at 10:30 am. Let me safe you the trouble, Please don't decide to send your child to this "better" education school! Because if we can't get things changed, many of us will be removing our children! If I could have given them no stars I would have.

Posted June 30, 2010

I find it sad that some of the reviews for IIT has more than one star. It is safe to say those stars are from the staff. I can not wait for the day they close this school down. Please stop misleading parents about this being a very good school. The only thing they offer these children are detentions!! Then send them home. My daughter breezed through this school like a tornado. I believe they had the 8th graders doing 3rd grade work. And as far as the administration I wonder who the Asst.Prin. screwed for her job.

Posted June 12, 2010

I agree that perspectives is a good school in theory, but the execution of that theory falls short at the hands of the administration and staff. The safety of the students is compromised and the ones that have behavioral issues run the building. There is not enough supervision of students and protocols put in place to correct their behavior. They (joslin campus) do not have services available for students that may need external help (counseling, dcfs, etc.) and they expect the students and families of those children to fend for themselves. Consequently, other students fall victim to the wrath of these behavioral challenged students and their education is compromised in the process. The ethnic makeup of instructors does not at all reflect the ethnic makeup of the student body. The principal herself does little in terms of reinforcing what perspectives claims to promote.

Posted May 29, 2010

I hardly know where to begin. Perspectives Math and Science Academy is totally out of control. There have been instances where there are fights among students both in and outside of the school. The various teams of inexperienced teachers frequently give out detentions because they do not know the first thing about class room managemnt. Almost the entire 8th grade class was told they could not particpate in their 8th grade luncheon nor the graduation because they received detentions for such things as not having a shirt tucked in or being tardy?! Seems unbelievable but it is true. The number of children who are suspended in the course of a month was uncanny. Most kids grades are so bad they can't transfer.

Posted September 14, 2009

Perspectives Charter Schools has five campuses and offers *all* youth a chance to shine! Through innovative approaches to learning, opportunities to internships throughout Chicago, and a supportive network of teachers and administrators, Perspectives Charter Schools is an exemplary model for academic success and teaching the whole child. GO PERSPECTIVES!

Posted May 28, 2009

Having been involved with this school for 3 years; I can say that a school once raved about has declined immensely. The principal and administration are never visable, do not know the students, and show little concern for improvement. In summary: The school has become disorganized with no leadership or direction.

Posted March 31, 2008

I would definetely agree that Perspectives' is an excellent school. As mentioned before, it provides a safe, intimate learning environment. Prepares it students for the real world both academically and socially. Secondly, replications have already been made and the math and science academy with parnership with IIT will open in the fall. Honors and AP classes are actually offered. Students are also exposed to field studies, communnity servicec, internships, etc. Perspectives is one of a kind and I wuld highly recommnd you to send your child.

Posted March 26, 2008

Perspectives is an excellent school, which provides students with a variety of expectations in life. There is a healthy life i.e there food is great for the students with non of the saturated fat, sugars, etc. The Discipline Life is awsome it teaches children about the reality of the world (Especially living in a world like today), teachers and staff are very involved with the educational, safety, and concerns of the students. If you want a school that has all of these qualities then you nned to attend Perspectoves.

Posted February 17, 2007

Perspectives is an 'okay' school. It's not great though. There isn't much eualness amoung ethnicities. They also don't have an auditorium or a gym. Though, they do have good Healthy food made by chefs and great teachers. If your child has trouble with school that will probably be a good place to send them, but if your child is a fairly well student, then you should look for a different school. There rules can be strict and the students really dont do any 'fun' thingsI am a student there and I really dont look forward to going to school in the morning, and You Should Look Forward To Going To School. They're trying the best they can but I wouldn't suggest this school to you. Honestly.

Posted February 2, 2007

I wouldn't recommend you to go to this school because... The lockers are too small. The hallways are too crowded. No gym or auditorium. And Doesn't have all the classes I need. If you are looking for a big school with facilities and resources go somewhere else.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students37%

Low income37%
Not low income50%
Students without disabilities43%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students42%

Low income45%
Not low income36%
Students without disabilities51%

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Students21%

Low income12%
Not low income19%
Students without disabilities15%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

79.5%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 52%N/A49%
Male 48%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Video / Film production

Health & athletics

• Gym

• Rahul Sharma

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1930 South Archer Avenue