Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted January 05, 2016
My only complaint is the amount of homework given even at kindergarten level. Maybe it's just been a long time since I was in grade school, but I don't remember being given 3-4 math worksheets and 2-3 reading worksheets in addition to a writing assignment (each and every night) in the kindergarten. I have 2 children that attend and this is a constant challenge for me to keep up with the amount of homework assigned to my children nightly. I work a full-time job and I have no one home in the evenings to assist me with baths, cooking and then add in the homework and some nights we could possibly stay up until after 10:30pm to get them done. I won't have it. I stay in communication with their teachers and let them know when we just can't get to it. The funny part is they say ok, but at times have written notes that they'd like us to complete a pack of about 10 pages over the weekend- not going to happen.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 05, 2016
I do believe this school teaches it's students the importance of compassion and caring and always asks them to respect their neighbors and fellow scholars.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted January 05, 2016
Some of the school's core values are honesty, integrity and my personal favorite, perseverance. You can ask even the youngest scholar to define what each of those values means and they will be able to tell you in detail.

Chicago International Charter School 4

Posted January 05, 2016
Overall I feel this school is GREAT! Keep in mind this is a public school and bare in mind they may not always have the same resources as private school, but this is a healthy alternative for our family. In my opinion I have never had an issue that wasn't properly addressed. They have an early drop off time which I am sure works well for a lot of working parents such as myself. They really try to engage the parents and people in the community. They offer after school tutoring as early as kindergarten (which is WONDERFUL). I feel that my children's teachers are completely vested in their success. Two of my children currently attend and I will likely send my 4 year old when it's time.

Posted August 18, 2012
very good school excellent teachers great dierctors great bank manger not alot of bullying their is approite launge . great assembleys great princiables strong leadership my daughter loves cics bucktown if you love your child bring them to 228 S. Wabash CIS Bucktown

Posted May 14, 2010
CICS Irving Park is very impressive (note: test scores are lumped with all CICS campuses). My son is a 2009-2010 Kindergartener. His teacher is highly qualified, motivated and experienced. The Principal and V. Principal are outstanding. Overall teacher quality is top-notch. Academics are rigorous; progress closely monitored; expectations high (especially compared with regular CPS schools). Discipline focuses on positive reinforcement. School spirit and responsible behavior is rewarded during monthly assemblies where "Green Team" kids are applauded and cheered by peers and parents who are welcome to attend and do. Every morning my son is welcomed to school with big smiles and enthusiastic Good Mornings from the staff often the Principal and/or Vice Principal. I feel my son is in a safe, supportive, positive learning environment. We are very fortunate. I highly recommend this school.

Posted May 03, 2010
Red letters are for discipline problems, it is to inform the parent that your child did not follow the rules. All schools should have the kind of system.

Posted March 24, 2010
My son has attended CICS-Ralph Ellison for 2 years now and I am quite pleased. He attended a catholic grammer school and the grades were not always good and he was in trouble a lot...mostly because he was not being challenged enough. Once starting at Ralph Ellison he was a totally different child. I am quite pleased with the curriculm as it does prepare the student for college. The new principal and staff are great. I think if the students come in with an open mind and positive attitudes, they will certainly learn a lot.

Chicago International Charter School 4

Posted March 22, 2010
CICS-Irving Park: We have a child in K and are pleased with the tailored learning approach. Our child has made tremendous progress this past year. The school also welcomes parental involvement. The administration is involved and present. The teachers are more than qualified. It's a gem in the CPS system. CICS-IP has exceeded our expectations. I wish they published the test results for the individual CICS campuses.

Chicago International Charter School 1

Posted September 20, 2009
CICS-Irving Park. I regret the decision I made sending my son to this school. The teachers are so unexperienced, it's pitiful. We are very involoved in the school and our sons education. Irving Park don't have any clue of dealing with children who might need extra help with academics or behavior. They would rather send 50 red letters, and repeat childrens grade level (which I know now is a scare tatic so that you can pull your kid out, and they can make their quota in the limited time they have). Very, very sad! I'm looking into Virtual school or our local Public school. My son deserves the best, and this school isn't it.

11 E Adams St Ste 600, Chicago, IL  60603
Last modified Chicago International Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chicago International Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top