Public charter
Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,649

Posted October 24, 2013
I had two children who attended the NKO campus. I really enjoy the community environment that this school offers. The parents and staff are informative, attentive and nurturing.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 2

Posted October 14, 2013
My son has been with the U of C charter system since 2005 when he started Kindergarten at NKO. He is now at Carter G Woodson middle school. NKO started off great under the leadership of the 1st principal but once she left the new principal left a lot to be desired. She is more of a social butterfly strolling around hanging with her friends rather than managing her teachers and resources. She has since been promoted within the Charter system so there is a new principal who I'm positive will do a fantastic job!! She was my son's 2nd grade teacher & he thrived under her guidance. CGW(Carter G Woodson) is a hot mess. They tell the parents during orientation these supposed high standards that they have then they don't enforce them. The kids don't have math books. How can u learn w/o a book. How can I help him w/o a book. Senseless. My son wants to be a mechanical engineer, he wants to go to Young for the rest of middle school & high school but can he if they are not striving for success. Yes my son will bcuz I'll do what it take to get him where he needs to be.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 4

Posted September 30, 2013
University Of Chicago Charter-Donohue School My daughter is in Pre-K. I am inpressed with the way her teacher provides feed back and there are plenty of teaching bodies who are very accomadating and who you can ask questions of. The teaches are warm inviting and encouraging to the students. I am very inmressed withthem and my initial venture in the the education world.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 5

Posted December 01, 2012
This is my daughter's first year at this school. She enjoys her classes and the after school activities. A few weeks ago they had college week. The kids from 6th to 12th grade go to visit several colleges. They really try to put them into a college mindset. The cost was really cheap. 6th and 7th graders visit schools in Illinois and the other classes leave Illinois. You are never left wondering how the kids are doing in class because you always have access to there grades and if you have any questions you can contact them by e-mail. I also love the fact that they have tutoring. I will be transferring my other two kids there next year!

Posted October 29, 2012
I reveiewed CG Woodson School previously and found that there are a new teachers this school year, which has been very exciting for my son. He actually enjoys attending class and has nothing but good things to say about them. My only complaint this year (because I lowered my expectations this year) is that the afterschool programing left a lot to be desired, so we didn't enroll. Also, the delay in the laptop rollout was disappointing. It's almost November and the children still don't have all of the resources they've been promised.

Posted July 21, 2011
I think this school has excellent potential. The curriculum is great and research is ongoing to improve it consistently. Teachers receive a wealth of training as well. The leadership, however, needs to rein in on the students' behavior. My son is entering his 3rd year at the Donoghue campus this fall and for much of last year, I saw the children roaming and running in hallways with no supervision. They were loud in the classrooms, cafeteria and auditorium at the end of the day - every day. They are allowed too much freedom and too little structure. These kids need structure as well as a good curriculum. I have high expectations for my 2nd grader, and I'd like the school to exhibit similar high expectations for the students.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 0

Posted October 09, 2010
My son attend the U of C charter school Donoghue. I appreciate our administration because they have dedicated themselves to our children's education. Team work is a reflection of leadership and we have excellent leader in our school. Our school is an excellent in socializations as well as education.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 0

Posted November 14, 2008
Our daughter is enrolled in the pre-k program, which is a full day, and she loves it! She receives instruction in spanish, performing arts, physical education, art and music. 20 children in the class with one teacher and an assistant. Recess daily in a private playground, weather permitting. Private restroom in classroom, individual lockers, hot breakfast and lunch served daily in the classroom. Small school environment is warm and nurturing - one class per grade. Administrators are approachable, open and available. Directors know each student by name. Parents are cooperative and involved.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 4

Posted August 03, 2008
I love the small school feel of this public school. The Previous Director knew every child and parent. The academic program is great and stimulates the children to think w/o utilizing rote memory techniques employed by many other schools. I feel that this prepares the children to utilize their problemsolving skills to formulate answers to unsolved challenges. The parents are very concerned with a core group of very involved parents. I look forward to working with the new Director as she prepares the students for greater accomplishments.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools 5

Posted September 02, 2005
NKO is a school using very well research, test and proven practicies. They use balanced literacy which is tailored to the needs of individual students. They use writer's workshop for writing which teaches students to write like writers. They use Everyday Math instead of just drilling students. The students actually learn Math. In general, their academic programs are top notch. There is music, art, and spanish for all grades. Their afterschool enrichment programs are great. Parents are somewhat involvement. The ones that want to are.

Univ of Chicago Charter Schools
1313 E 60th St, Chicago, IL  60637
Last modified Univ of Chicago Charter Schools is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Univ of Chicago Charter Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top