Uno Network Charter School

Charter | K-11 | 5373 students

Posted October 24, 2014

This school is disturbingly TERRIBLE... I have a long list of things that this school never addressed and I brought to their attention repeatedly. Particularly since my child was an IEP student this is the worst network of schools that you can take your child to if he has an IEP... I recently found out from a teacher that works there that these students aren't getting their minutes as indicated and when they are receiving them some of these special ED teachers just have them sit & color or watch the IPAD or watch a movie on the portable DVD... how is that instructional?? but there was 1 or two teacher that I can say actually cared enough for my child and I appreciate their hard work and effort but I do feel they deserve to work in a better place that will compliment their hard work. And when I would call to speak with the director...(whom ever it is, because it was always someone different) this person would always be in meeting... and the UPPER administration (the higher end people) BULLY their teachers and staff very much so much that affects their teaching abilities... Do you really want your child in this school network... I transferred mine and doing sooo much better!

Posted April 3, 2014

My child is currently going to Uno Soccer academy. Before going to Uno he was attending a catholic school which we were so disappointed and very unhappy. My son has ADHD which in catholic school he was in 1st grade and was constantly bullied and harassed by the kids. He got 2teeth punched out of his mouth. My son was left in a corner eating lunch by himself for the whole year by the teacher. The teacher sent him to the office everyday to serve detention. The teacher never tried to help my son in any way, always complain about him constantly. My son was very active and in sports basketball and soccer for the year, but the kids would put him down and blame him for their losses in the games. his report card was all C's and D's. When the school year ended we enrolled him with Uno Soccer Academy. The teachers are great. It's a major difference with my son. All the kids love him. The teachers help him tremendously, he's in sports and doing great. his grades are A's and B's. He's a happy kid and so are we. Uno has really great discipline and awesome teachers. I just enrolled my daughter for kindergarten and I highly recommend this school to anyone. It changed my sons life for the better.

Posted August 21, 2013

My expierence with UNO. Has been the most degrading and humiliating experience ever! After being assure the problem would be address by a couple of staff members. I still had to deal with the same person. After leaving msgs for 2 weeks. Being down talk by more then 3 employees. Im sad to say although they have great teachers. The customer service lacks tremendously in manners & information. Even when UNO assigned that week. To provide enrollment & information. Not because I live in a low income neighborhood. Staff should feel they are doing families a favor.

Posted February 4, 2013

Their schools are slated for a turnaround ("restructuring") because they've failed to make AYP for 6 years now. Their CEO only has a B.A. in Communications from one of the lowest ranked universities in Illinois but he sure does pay himself a ton of money (more than the Mayor of Chicago) to run these failing schools. They also close the school on election day and try to bully the parents into voting a certain way. These schools go from bad to worse - yes they have flashy buildings - but the organization, its management, and its education outcomes stink! Don't put your kids in these schools as it's just a money making machine for local politicians and their cronies.

Posted August 17, 2012

I am currently a senior at UNO- Garcia High school. I am thankful for my parents to have ever helped me apply to this high school! I know that if I were to have gone to another community high school, like Curie or Kelly, I'd probably be going through the wrong path. Yes, this school is strict but I grew to learn that it was for my well-being. This high schools targets to give the students the best education while feeling safe. They succeed in doing both. Throughout my three years, this year being four, in this high school, I can honestly say there hasn't been a case in which one of my colleagues or I have felt unsafe.The education is excellent. The teachers spend their time on the students more than themselves. The Archer Heights neighborhood is not dangerous. In addition, I had the opportunity to travel to China during my spring break. That once in a lifetime experience opened my eyes to my future. I now know that I want to study Mandarin further, and one day, use my knowledge to become someone. All in all, I highly recommend any student to go to this school! Special thanks to all UNO faculty for their hard work and commitment in helping students, like me, prepare for our future!

Posted November 15, 2011

Bully Treachers. Director has no control over Teachers. Director is "new at this" and mistakes are "part of the learning process. Dont send your child here

Posted March 27, 2011

UNO has about 10 different campuses, and while they each have to adhere to certain rules and procedures set down by the main offices, each also has its own local leadership, its own staff, and its own strengths and weaknesses. Don't judge any one school by anything that happens at any other.

Posted February 25, 2011

i want to go to this school its the school of my dreams i love UNO

Posted December 21, 2010

I cannot speak for anyone else, but this is my experience of working for the UNO Charter Organization. I am nervous they will find out who this is; however, I would like want to know this information if I were looking for the best school for my child. As a teacher of 11 years & a member of the 5 member leadership team, I was ASTOUNDED by the inner workings of the organization. The focus is on image alone. There are so many injustices I could list. For example, after Katrina, many first generation Hispanics moved into the area for work. Esperanza opened its doors to that population which is wonderful! However, with about 200 students being Spanish-speakers, only 1 English Language Specialist was employed. Few teachers were bilingual, so many students sat in classrooms for 8 hours a day without assistance. In the 3 years that Esperanza was under UNO's management, there were 4 directors. From what I understand, as each one would voice opposition, they were let go. I can assure you if you visit an UNO school, the students will be dressed nicely, and there will be greeters who give you a scripted greeting, but I extremely bothered by how we underserved our students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 27, 2010

My children both go to Carlos Fuentes. My daughter was fortunate to have Mr. Malone as a teacher in 8th grade. She still talks about him even though she is high school now. She reads more than she did before and he always kept in touch with me about the good and the bad. My daughter finally felt encouraged to do good in school. She also talks about the way he talked about his wife with much respect and love. It is too bad that my son could not be in his class.

Posted February 25, 2010

Wihthin the UNO network of charter schools, Carlos Fuentes is one of the best, if not the best. It represents what Ray Budde (the man who originated the idea of charter schools in the United States) envisioned charter schools to be - institutions that demand the highest academic and behavioral standard from its student body. If your child is fortunate enough to attend Carlos Fuentes, he or she will receive a private school caliber experience. The highly competent no-nonsense faculty is run by a highly competent no-nonsense Director: Mr.Denneen. Carlos Fuentes sits beside a church; located in a safe cozy region, sequestered from mainline traffic on all sides, and surrounded by single family homes and two-flats. The upkeep of the landscaping is fantastic, and the janitorial staff does a superb job of keeping the school spotless. Children are dismissed in a secure and orderly fashion. Carlos Fuentes is a jewel.

Posted November 26, 2009

I strongely feel uno has strong leadership towards the goal they will achieve. Sometimes parents need more involvment with their child's education invest in your kid, 7 parents those are the smart parents they are present an you worry about how many are here be the leader uno wants you to be,( that leader make something happen with our latino education.) go UNO!!

Posted April 23, 2009

The teachers at UNO are all full hearted dedicated to what they do, and believe in what the children and what they can accomplish. Having this alternative has truly been a blessing for my family. The UNO dedication that the teachers have and supportive encouraging parents is truly the recipe for a successful child s mind!

Posted April 19, 2009

I believe this school needs to close down my child has only been set behind instead of improving. The school is not a great school especially if you have an intelligent child this school just hinders the child not help them advanced not a school to choose

Posted February 23, 2009

I am very disappointed with this school they think they are helping the students but no sir they are horrible thier extra activites are really nothing to brag about either close this school. I will never recommend this school to anyone absolutly not a great disapointment

Posted January 17, 2009

These are not accurate facts. For one the UNO Charter schools is a network. Each campus is different. Some have good leadership, some have mediocre, some have bad. That is a direct reflection of the upper management. These schools do not pace emphasis on major aspects of a child's education. Research has shown that class size is a domineering factor when it comes to learning. This network claims that they can do just fine with large class sizes. Yes, this may be a better alternative to a neighborhood school in the city of Chicago, but it does say something about the education system as a whole in the city. This is just one example of how this Charter 'Network' does not meet the needs of students or parents. The list could go on and on. I do not offer an alternative but to say that each school should be evaluated.

Posted April 28, 2008

I cannot say enough about the great teachers at Carlos Fuentes. My daughter has grown by leaps and bounds under the guidance of her great teachers, Ms. Fires and Ms. Thalken! A big thank you to the both of them!

Posted April 25, 2008

Currently my children are attending Carlos Fuentes Charter School and I can not express how happy I am. Both my boys age 7 and 10 have improved greatly. I love the staff and love the structure they implement. Communication has been a great part of this through email/phone. My children have not only raised grades they have made new friends they love the teachers and are very happy to be part of UNO Carlos Fuentes Charter School. The Bustamante Family!

Posted April 27, 2007

My daughter has attended Paz for two years with the same teacher. Being a charter school, I thought that it would be different from public but it's not. Parent involvement does not exist because I have went to parent meetings and only 7 parents would show up. There should also be a dean for girls because the present dean cannot and doen't know how to handle situations that arises from the young ladies. Leadership stinks and every year new teachers appear. Paz has a long way to go in my opinoin.

Posted November 16, 2005

My son has attended Paz for 6 years. Each year there has been a shake up in leadership and staff. Students only have one year with a teacher, as the following year they will not be there. It makes it difficult for parents to have ongoing relationships with the staff to nurture the success of the children. Discipline is good at the school. Children are advised to treat school as their job, which I think is goood.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Female41%

Students with disabilities (IEP)12%
Students without disabilities45%
English language learners24%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female50%

Students with disabilities (IEP)13%
Students without disabilities55%
English language learners10%

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Students42%

Low income31%
Students with disabilities (IEP)0%
Students without disabilities35%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 48%N/A49%
Male 52%N/A51%

• Martin Masterson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2317 West 23rd Place