Bad
Good

My child has been at alain locke for a few weeks now and she loves going everyday. She loves her teachers and is learning a structured environment. I am eager to see how this year progresses.

Both of my daughters attend, this is the only school they have ever attended they have both been here since they were 3. They are now 9 and 4. This is an excellent school, the staff is wonderful. We love it !there is a difference here. I have moved very far away but I will travel because it's worth it to me!

I have an 4 yr old daughter that attend the pre-k program at locke. I had hear good things about this school and decided to apply. My daughter was blessed to get accpeted the first time we applied. I love that most of the kids that attend the upper grades started at pre-k. You slightly feel an family environment your home away from home.. I love the principal. She is tough as well as kind. She care about her job and it shows through the success of the students. The students that graduate form locke move on to prestigious schools. Every school have flaws; nevertheless I love this school and I hope it continue to thrive an educate our young.

Love the school. The principal is tough but this is what our children need. The teachers are hard working. I would recommend the school to anyone.

My son has attended since pre school he is currently in 2nd grade. I appreciate the focus on reading and so far he has had very attentive teachers and assistant teachers. I also appreciate the year round school philosophy. My only concern is that school administration makes changes that could affect parents and students without input from the parents. ALso information is not shared with families in a timely manner.

Alain Locke charter academy is an awsome school . You ask how I know because I atened this school. I am in the 7th grade and i have been to this school every since in was in preschool. Ms.Jones and ms. Woodson have really changed this school and i'm thank them because my grades,test scores.... Have really improved.

Since the very first year this school opened - 1999 - teacher attrition rate has been super high. Great parents and kids to work with. Supplies - ok. Administration - dismissive and cold. It's a business to them, and a poorly run one at that. Learning Swahili is fun and great only if the kids know how to read and write in their native English and have the energy at the end of the day to appreciate their skills.

My child has attended Locke since pre-school and I have been pleased with her academic progress. We have been blessed with teachers and staff who seem genuinely concerned and committed. As much as I can appreciate the administration's vision, I take issue with the way parents are left out of the equation as it pertains to program/school issues and decisions. I think that the principal and assistant principal would do well to make some real effort to partner with parents and the community when making decisions about enrolled children and school programing issues. Our children need to be more than just 'globally competitive', they need to have balance and mental wellness. A 9 hour day and an hour or more of homework is academic overkill. Given an opportunity, we could be an asset. Learn to listen to and accept some of our input.

My daughter has attended this school since pre-k, she will be in the 1st starting in July. I love the zero tolerance policy. The kindergarten program I though was to tough for such young children, however they had achieved everything but before them. The academic program is on target for what the children will need to be prepared for their High School years. Yes, the teachers could be a little more understanding to the parents who want to witness their children's involvement in class activities. However, some might cause a distraction to the daily process of studies. I feel the school has an excellent staff. I love the extended hours and year round schedule. Being a working mom, I need that peace of mind to my child is safe while I'm at work.

Last modified Locke A Elementary Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.