Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,178

Posted August 24, 2013
This is a great school i was there for 3 years and they were awesome every one of the teachers were super duper nice but sometimes they were strict but that was because they care about our grades and because they want us to be great in the future... SANDOVAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IS TGE BEST SCHOOL IN THE HISTORY OF SCHOOLS :)

Sandoval Elementary School 2

Posted February 15, 2013
I went through the IEP process for my 4year old here because it is the closest CPS school to our home.The IEP process is time consuming& I was at this school often (social workers office and admin.office) during my visits I got to see how the school's administrative staff runs. The staff is nice but I think that this school makes parents jump additional hoops in order to admit there child/children here (which is wrong because the process is already a pain). The principal is definitely not an approachable person. On one occasion as I waited in the office for the social worker, a kid (probably in 1-2nd grade) threatened to stab a teacher with a pencil.The school's security staff acted accordingly and removed everything in his pockets,made him eat lunch away from others and supervised him - the kid already looked scared straight, crying&apologizing saying he didn't mean it. As the student waited for parent to arrive, the principal took the student to her office, shut the door and YELLED at the top of her lungs at this kid "What is wrong with you!!!are you crazy?!!" As a parent, I was very disturbed by this and honestly feel she made the situation worse for the kid in the long run

Sandoval Elementary School 2

Posted December 28, 2012
This school is terrible, you can see it even from the outside. My nephew went there for 4th grade last year and had a horrible experience. It has gang problems and is very overcrowded. Don't waste your time, it was once a good school but now it is really bad.

Sandoval Elementary School 3

Posted January 16, 2007
I am a parent at Sandoval and our school is a fairly new school and thank goodness is quite calm. I do believe more academic programs should be put in place. We are told that the principal says there is no money. As far as extracurricular activities I believe there is only student council and girls volleyball. That is not enough! We've been asking for workbooks for our children and are told they are not needed, but they are. The principal needs to consider what us parents are saying. Year round schedule is also a problem with most parents. The security needs to be more alert and cautious. Majority of teachers are great and really work hard with our children.

Posted November 25, 2005

Posted June 28, 2004
I think this school is great. It has a lot to do with the principal,teachers and parents.The students are well behave.I dont like the year round program. There are a few teachers that do not understand special education students and their needs,but above all the school is great. Mrs berlanga should not leave!!!!!!

Posted March 25, 2004
yes this school is very nice and the great thing is that it is new.But the problem is that it is year round and many parents including me disagree with this school year. it stops families from being able to travel with their children in the summer because our children have to attend school. the system is that there are 4 groups( tracks) when one track lets say track A leaves track D comes back when track B leaves track A comes back and when track C leaves track B comes back and so forth. this way there is alwayz a track missing from schooland it wont be so over crowded. I dont understand why this school got overpopulated in the first place. I just think that it should be this way.

Posted November 12, 2003
I have 2 children at this school, I like the fact that the school is strict. For the most paart, teachers work with you & your kids, although, I sometimes question the credentials of some of the teachers.

Posted November 10, 2003
I feel very lucky to be teaching at such a great CPS. I enjoy going to work every day.

Sandoval Elementary School
5534 South Saint Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL  60629
Last modified Sandoval Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandoval Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top