Passages Elementary Charter School

Charter | PK-8 | 426 students

Posted June 24, 2014

Very disappointed with Passages school. My children complained all year, so they will not be returning. The administration is horrible and they lack knowledge, personality and problem solving skills. Need better leadership besides a new principal.

Posted June 23, 2014

I used to love passages and only kept my son and daughter there this year because if all day kindergarten. There has been continual turn over of administration as well as excellent teachers over the past 5years. The kids are having to constantly adjust to different rules which are never consistent. For a NPO they seem to be charging for everything including detentions. This year will be their third New principal and disciplinary dean within the last 5yrs as well as third or forth gym teacher and art teacher. Other teachers also change quickly. The kindergarten teacher have 0 patience to deal with the 5 and 6yr olds that are coming into their own personalities. As a parent i would have to call the school to find out what was going on because all information was given out so last minute no one had time to prepare including picture day which this year we found out the day before. They have no parent teacher group and don't seem to care much about parent involvement unless its financial. I was all for passages a few years ago but have pulled my kids this year and enrolled them in private school.

Posted April 28, 2014

I like this school; because I always receive updated information regarding enrollment;working for a Head Start program. Parent are looking for a full-day Kindergarten. Passage Charter School send me monthly email about theirs enrollment progress.

Posted June 17, 2013

Passages USED to be a great school, emphasis on the USED. Passages has attracted some really great teachers over the years, and has lost some really great teachers, which really has impacted the quality of education students get at the school. The reasons teachers leave is - lack of support from administration. In fact, the principal sits in her office the entire day most of the time when she is there. When she's not there, she's "working from home." - the team leaders aren't qualified to be in the positions they are in and have no idea what it means to teach the grades they supposedly are in charge of - the pay for teachers is the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL I really enjoyed teaching here for a while, but this past year in particular they are hiring some really poor teachers and the teachers (who actually work with your students) have very little say in what goes in in the school. This school is better than some in the vicinity, but don't expect that the teachers your child has one year will be there the next year. Teachers are not appreciated at this school, which you should be aware of. Lack of teacher appreciation = poor morale = low quality education for your child.

Posted December 12, 2012

This is a great school. Very concerned, motivating staff & teachers. Children come in on all different academic levels making it very challenging for all, but they all are committed to the success of students. Excellent teachers. Challenging academic programs. Motivating teacher aide. Great teacher to student ratio. Very hard working staff. excellent!

Posted August 12, 2012

I transfered my child to Passages to escape the bullies from his other school. I found the school and its staff to be nice and appear to want to help. Since being at Passages, my son gets out of too early on Wednesdays and 11 am seems every other week. Some weeks he hardly is given homework. Those are my grips.

Posted September 13, 2011

This school is unacceptable. Check their test scores. We've stayed as long as we could, and tolerated as much as we could stomach. Parent/Teacher involvement is not valued, which explains why a mass exodus of students and teachers abandoned Passages for better options elsewhere. A lot of lip service and lack of accountability on behalf of the administration and their proprietors, Asian Human Services and management company, American Quality Schools. This school refuses to engage and involve eager students, parents and teachers. They are more concerned with how much money they can obtain from the state for each student than investing in highly-needed technology and individualized curriculum for all students. No incentive for 'better than average' students. The school is in dire need of responsible and accountable professionals to take ownership of THEIR children's education. Anywhere else is better than here.

Posted April 3, 2011

I gave the school a lower grade because of the attitude of the administration towards kids that are above average. Nothing is being done to keep the smart kids in this school. I would say it's OK to keep your child in school for the 1st. and 2nd. grade but after...move on. There are no programs designed to encourage kids that are above their grade level so after these kids are gone, you are left with average and below average, which explains the bad test scores. I am in the position where I will regretfully move on because my kid is bored as hell in school and all of his friends will be gone. As far as parent's involvement, there isn't any and while this is a very diverse school, it's also very segregated.

Posted November 1, 2010

Passages is the hidden gem on the northside! Superinvolved teacher & parents who go above & beyond expectations are what makes our school great.

Posted May 26, 2010

This school is a true gem in the public school system. The teaching philosophy is great, focusing on reading texts and writing responses as opposed to memorization and regurgitation. They are the only CPS school I know of that administers the NWEA test to truly gauge their performance. (and the scores are great!) The parents I know with students needing an IEP are very happy with the services at the school. I am gettin my Master's in special education and have done a few observation exercises here and the methods employed are on par wit hthe best practices taught in Universities today. The transition to the new building and school management team hit bump last year, but I disagree wholeheartedly with the review stating this new team is anything but excellent. AQS consistently produces the city's top performing charter schools.

Posted March 28, 2010

This is my second year teaching at Passages and unfortunately, I'll be moving at the end of the year. In my 2 years at Passages, we've been through good times and bad, but I never felt alone in my struggles. My Administration is supportive and encouraging, my fellow teachers are the most dedicated and inspiring I've ever seen, and the students are unique and encourage me to bring my best each and every day. If you're looking for a school where teachers are always on the look out for new and exciting educational opportunities, then this is the place for you. A community where grant writing and professional development are valued, and personal differences are celebrated- that's what makes Passages great!

Posted March 4, 2010

There are better choices in the neighborhood. Passages does not offer a lot of the extra-curricular activities like most Chicago Public Schools.

Posted March 3, 2010

I love this school. My child is very happy and he is learning a lot. The teachers are great and very enthusiastic. They really care about the students.

Posted February 4, 2010

As a teacher at Passages, I am so pleased with the community we have been able to build. Last year was definitely a struggle due to problems with our building and adjusting to change, but I am so proud to work with so many enthusiastic teachers and families (we've all worked so hard!). In addition, I love that I have kids from 10 different countries speaking 12 different languages...we are truly living Dr. King's dream. I can't speak for other classrooms, but I am proud that my kids are thriving both academically and socially. I welcome all families to come visit us :)

Posted December 6, 2009

I am a teacher at Passages, and I am sad to see some of these comments. This year we have all worked hard to ensure that each child is getting the best education in the city. As the Teacher President of the Parent Teacher group, I am disappointed that many parents are not involved. As with many things, it is easier to sit back and complain instead of getting involved to bring positive change. It is hurtful to see parents that want to transfer their children, but please first speak to the principal and maybe she can fix the situation.

Posted November 26, 2009

I am an 'old parent' that has stuck around, last year was just terrible but I thought this year would be better with a different principal. Boy was I wrong! The new disiplinarian is beyond awful. The children are treated like criminals. And the administration seems so hard on the teachers. The teachers always look tired. I am thinking that during this break, we will finally have to move our child elsewhere. I am just fed up, angry and dissapointed.

Posted October 19, 2009

A third administration is three years is quite a bit. But, the quality teachers have stayed and are still providing our students with a great education. Teachers understand what each individual child needs and provide a tailored curriculum for each child. This is why I have seen my daughter grow so much at Passages. If you are looking for a high quality education, where all members of the school community will know who you and your student are, this is the place.

Posted June 2, 2009

The quality of education and culture of the school has decreased since the new administration came in this school year. My child has had three different teachers this year, and the parents did not receive one letter from the principal (or teacher) informing us of this change. I found out through other parents. The Principal's communication and leadership is very poor, and they are not welcoming of parents. The hiring of staff is also poor, teachers seem to be in-experienced (probably first year/second year teachers in most cases). I am very disappointed with the quality of education and lack of communication from the administration. This school falls below average compared to other charter or elementary schools throughout the city. I think the school will have a chance for improvement with with new administration and experienced/diverse teachers. I would not recommend Passages, and will be transferring my child next year.

Posted March 9, 2009

Passages has had continuous and prosperous growth! As a new parent with work and a school schedule, I have been able to turn to Passages for support and have received an adequate learning environment for my children. I have seen initiative to continue to help working parents by providing afterschool programs and activities. At passages my two children as well as my niece, are receiving far better education that I would be able to afford. The individual help that children receive is far more than I expected. The school working together with other institutions has allowed it to give families various forms of assistance in different areas. Because the school only offers Pre-k to 5th grade, it is able to concentrate on those needs of individual growth more than anything else!

Posted March 4, 2009

I am a new parent at passages and I love it. The teachers put in just as much work in to helping my son that I do. The school works together with the parents to come up with solutions to problems. I am moving and am staying close to Passages just so my son can continue to receive the best education that he can.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students56%

Low income66%
Students without disabilities77%
English language learners17%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students72%

Black56%
Low income63%
Students without disabilities79%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

• Nicole Feinberg

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1643 West Bryn Mawr Avenue