Passages Elementary Charter School 1

Posted June 24, 2014
Very disappointed with Passages school. My children complained all year, so they will not be returning. The administration is horrible and they lack knowledge, personality and problem solving skills. Need better leadership besides a new principal.

Posted June 23, 2014
I used to love passages and only kept my son and daughter there this year because if all day kindergarten. There has been continual turn over of administration as well as excellent teachers over the past 5years. The kids are having to constantly adjust to different rules which are never consistent. For a NPO they seem to be charging for everything including detentions. This year will be their third New principal and disciplinary dean within the last 5yrs as well as third or forth gym teacher and art teacher. Other teachers also change quickly. The kindergarten teacher have 0 patience to deal with the 5 and 6yr olds that are coming into their own personalities. As a parent i would have to call the school to find out what was going on because all information was given out so last minute no one had time to prepare including picture day which this year we found out the day before. They have no parent teacher group and don't seem to care much about parent involvement unless its financial. I was all for passages a few years ago but have pulled my kids this year and enrolled them in private school.

Passages Elementary Charter School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
I like this school; because I always receive updated information regarding enrollment;working for a Head Start program. Parent are looking for a full-day Kindergarten. Passage Charter School send me monthly email about theirs enrollment progress.

Posted June 17, 2013
Passages USED to be a great school, emphasis on the USED. Passages has attracted some really great teachers over the years, and has lost some really great teachers, which really has impacted the quality of education students get at the school. The reasons teachers leave is - lack of support from administration. In fact, the principal sits in her office the entire day most of the time when she is there. When she's not there, she's "working from home." - the team leaders aren't qualified to be in the positions they are in and have no idea what it means to teach the grades they supposedly are in charge of - the pay for teachers is the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL I really enjoyed teaching here for a while, but this past year in particular they are hiring some really poor teachers and the teachers (who actually work with your students) have very little say in what goes in in the school. This school is better than some in the vicinity, but don't expect that the teachers your child has one year will be there the next year. Teachers are not appreciated at this school, which you should be aware of. Lack of teacher appreciation = poor morale = low quality education for your child.

Passages Elementary Charter School 5

Posted December 12, 2012
This is a great school. Very concerned, motivating staff & teachers. Children come in on all different academic levels making it very challenging for all, but they all are committed to the success of students. Excellent teachers. Challenging academic programs. Motivating teacher aide. Great teacher to student ratio. Very hard working staff. excellent!

Passages Elementary Charter School 3

Posted August 12, 2012
I transfered my child to Passages to escape the bullies from his other school. I found the school and its staff to be nice and appear to want to help. Since being at Passages, my son gets out of too early on Wednesdays and 11 am seems every other week. Some weeks he hardly is given homework. Those are my grips.

Passages Elementary Charter School 1

Posted September 13, 2011
This school is unacceptable. Check their test scores. We've stayed as long as we could, and tolerated as much as we could stomach. Parent/Teacher involvement is not valued, which explains why a mass exodus of students and teachers abandoned Passages for better options elsewhere. A lot of lip service and lack of accountability on behalf of the administration and their proprietors, Asian Human Services and management company, American Quality Schools. This school refuses to engage and involve eager students, parents and teachers. They are more concerned with how much money they can obtain from the state for each student than investing in highly-needed technology and individualized curriculum for all students. No incentive for 'better than average' students. The school is in dire need of responsible and accountable professionals to take ownership of THEIR children's education. Anywhere else is better than here.

Posted April 03, 2011
I gave the school a lower grade because of the attitude of the administration towards kids that are above average. Nothing is being done to keep the smart kids in this school. I would say it's OK to keep your child in school for the 1st. and 2nd. grade but after...move on. There are no programs designed to encourage kids that are above their grade level so after these kids are gone, you are left with average and below average, which explains the bad test scores. I am in the position where I will regretfully move on because my kid is bored as hell in school and all of his friends will be gone. As far as parent's involvement, there isn't any and while this is a very diverse school, it's also very segregated.

Passages Elementary Charter School 4

Posted November 01, 2010
Passages is the hidden gem on the northside! Superinvolved teacher & parents who go above & beyond expectations are what makes our school great.

Passages Elementary Charter School 5

Posted May 26, 2010
This school is a true gem in the public school system. The teaching philosophy is great, focusing on reading texts and writing responses as opposed to memorization and regurgitation. They are the only CPS school I know of that administers the NWEA test to truly gauge their performance. (and the scores are great!) The parents I know with students needing an IEP are very happy with the services at the school. I am gettin my Master's in special education and have done a few observation exercises here and the methods employed are on par wit hthe best practices taught in Universities today. The transition to the new building and school management team hit bump last year, but I disagree wholeheartedly with the review stating this new team is anything but excellent. AQS consistently produces the city's top performing charter schools.

Passages Elementary Charter School
1643 West Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago, IL  60660
Last modified Passages Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Passages Elementary Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.