No rating

CICS Basil

Charter | K-8 | 724 students

We are best known for commitment to academic success.

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $135,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted January 22, 2014

This school does not have a library. This is a travesty. What message is that sending? Literacy is the key to a sound education. Well-meaning adults can easily destroy a child's love of reading: stop them reading what they enjoy, or give them worthy-but-dull books that you like, the 21st-century equivalents of Victorian "improving" literature. You'll wind up with a generation convinced that reading is uncool and worse, unpleasant. One way to destroy a child's love of reading, of course, is to make sure there are no books of any kind around. Literacy is more important than ever it was, in this world of text and email, a world of written information. We need to read and write, we need global citizens who can read comfortably, comprehend what they are reading, understand nuance, and make themselves understood. Libraries really are the gates to the future. So it is unfortunate that CICS Basil sees not having a library as an easy way to save money, without realizing that they are stealing from the future to pay for today. They are closing the gates that should be open. Instead, they are focused on data and test results.

Posted June 17, 2013

This school is a waste of time!!!!! I wouldn't send my pet here!!!! Most of the teacher's that I was in contact with were unprofessional and immature!!! This school doesn't use textbooks, just worksheets and packets.

Posted April 17, 2013

This a okay school and the school I go to and it on a level 2

Posted April 18, 2012

Today, my son was accepted to this school via lottery. I have a bittersweet reaction to this. Although I did have hopes of him attending a CICS School, I was hoping that he got in to the other higher ranking schools. Basil was our 4th choice and because 2nd grade wasn't being offered at the other campuses he was placed here. I guess because of the probation status Basil have, I'm a little leery about the school's academic ability. I am transferring my son from a Private School because he was not challenged there. He is waitlisted for the Magnet and Classical Schools and so, in doing my research I thought the CICS was the way to go. I will give Basil a try, that's if I don't hear from any of the Classical or Magnet Schools first.

Posted July 14, 2011

To the parent who asked what Middle School has students walk in a sigle file line, facing front, in their own square, well the answer to your question is most middle schools! Also, if they did not place emphasis on uniforms, hair styles, etc. there would be absolutely no order in the school. Academics can only take place if structure exist! I had the opportunity to visit the school briefly, and I cant speak about the absence of the library but I will say that the teachers do have some very high expectations for the students and that is very admirable. I had the opportunity to briefly work with an all male class and they were well behaved for the most part and very attentive. Ms. Hardy is very nice and approachable.

Posted April 14, 2011

I had the pleasure of working on a temporary basis in the main office with an outside firm at Basil Elementary School and I found the teachers, staff and principal to be outstanding and serious about their role as educators. You must have order in the school and the classrooms or the children will be out of control. The teachers, staff and principal always displayed true leadership skills while in class and even in the hall. During my short time I saw kids being given speech lessons and one-on-one time by instructors to help bring grades up. I saw an awesome music room with instruments (are you really complaining about buying a book?) I'm no longer employed as a temp at this school but I firmly believe that it is a wonderful school.

Posted March 16, 2011

theater/drama, dance and yearbook? No, they don't exist. A library? Nope, none. They have a book of rooms that students aren't allowed to check out. My kid had to buy his own novel because they don't have books or novel sets his class. Behavior is ridiculous. They don't let the kids be kids. What middle school walks students in a "silent single file in, in your square, facing forward"

Posted May 25, 2010

This is my child first year at Basil; she is here for convenience (it s close to home). I feel the teachers are trying their best, however the school is more focused on school policy (uniform codes), and fundraising efforts than academics. The curriculum seems to change daily; to the point the students never master any skills (math, literacy, etc.). I feel this school has potential, however I am not sure if the program needs a new direction, and focus on one curriculum instead of changing each year as it has in the past. Emphasis needs to be on the basics (reading, writing, arithmetic s), and not on school uniforms, shoes, hair styles, etc. A plus for the school is that it does offer sports, art, music, Spanish, cheerleading, dance, chess, etc, and helps to develop social skills for the students. My daughter has made friends in the program, and loves her teacher.

Posted October 7, 2009

The teachers at Basil work tirelessly to ensure the students receive the best education possible. Our school year and school days are longer than most and we make every minute count.
—Submitted by a teacher

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • One of the 2 Chicago Charter schools that made ISAT gains for 4 years in a row
  • First year students met their NWEA targets in reading and math (2009)

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dayna Sanders
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook