Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)

Amount of homework: Not enough

1 sheet of Xerox paper from each class. Oh wait it was back and front. No books

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 25, 2015
I feel the curriculum is great. My son was able to follow it like a hawk!

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted December 25, 2015
This school does not develop respect in their students because we all know all children are different. And if your child can't sit still all day and not speak as if they are on Meds this school will ostracize your child

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 25, 2015
This school is not empathetic. They will fa your child in a heartbeat they are all about production

CICS Basil 5

Posted September 24, 2015
As a returning parent who child is now in 2nd grade (I was the parent who posted a comments when she was in Kindergarten), I LOVE this school, and the dedication the teachers put into the students. For example, Ms. Scott, and Mr. Johnstone!!! I always see teachers will after school hours! Although the school does not have a library, the teachers have books in the classroom for students to read, or you can take the time to spend with your child and take them to the pubic library. THANK YOU CICS Basil for your hard work and dedication to our children!!

Posted April 19, 2015
As a teacher who has stuck with the kids, the curriculum, and the model for three years, I can honestly say it has come a LONG way. It shows in the test scores. One parent commented that for many parents, this will be the only opportunity that they will have to see their children wear a cap and gown, but that is the exact mindset we are trying to combat. Also, as far as kids never being able to socialize, not true. My scholars are some of the MOST social and happy children out there. We just emphasize learning as a priority and therefore, socializing must be structured and limited as not to take away from what we are really trying to accomplish. I just really hope that any parent that is reading these reviews will come see for themselves. Don't let anyone else's negativity and bad experiences stop you from being open to an awesome learning experience for your child. If you come visit, you will be walked through the school and you can judge for yourself. Like I said, it was rough in the beginning, but I almost left, and now I'm so glad that I didn't!!

Posted October 17, 2014
My daughter been going here for 3 years and the only thing I don't like about the school is the lack of school books..

Posted August 19, 2014
As a Basil staff member, I'm excited to see a satisfied kindergarten parent. I'm disappointed to see some unhappy parents (I hope we can earn back your trust this year under new principals), but it's true this school is not for every family - we're not an arts school, or a sports school. We're an academically focused college prep school. We truly believe that ALL of our students can and will graduate from college, and I'm always amazed by how hard the teachers work to get students there. Every teacher I work with is passionate and dedicated, and the school has improved greatly over the past two years. There has been a lot of change, which is always hard, but I absolutely believe we're stronger because of it and are ready to kick off a FANTASTIC new school year.

Posted August 07, 2014
In the past two years, Basil has undergone significant change. It was once on the watch list as a potential school to close. In the past two years, the school has improved significantly. The focus is on college prep and character. The scores have dramatically improved, and it matters. Our students did not wear caps and gowns, because they attended a moving up ceremony that was beautiful and appropriate. You wear a cap and gown when you graduate, not move from 8th to 9th grade. We have to raise our expectations. We expect our students to graduate from college and live meaningful lives. We have an open door policy. Anyone can come, visit and see the transformation.

CICS Basil 1

Posted August 05, 2014
I wish I could give 0 stars. Do NOT send your children here. Admin don't care about children and teachers operate under constant fear. The rules are oppressive. Kids are not allowed to socialize ever and are "disciplined" for every little thing

1816 W. Garfield Blvd., Chicago, IL  60609