Public charter
Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

Posted October 17, 2014
My daughter been going here for 3 years and the only thing I don't like about the school is the lack of school books..

Posted August 19, 2014
As a Basil staff member, I'm excited to see a satisfied kindergarten parent. I'm disappointed to see some unhappy parents (I hope we can earn back your trust this year under new principals), but it's true this school is not for every family - we're not an arts school, or a sports school. We're an academically focused college prep school. We truly believe that ALL of our students can and will graduate from college, and I'm always amazed by how hard the teachers work to get students there. Every teacher I work with is passionate and dedicated, and the school has improved greatly over the past two years. There has been a lot of change, which is always hard, but I absolutely believe we're stronger because of it and are ready to kick off a FANTASTIC new school year.

CICS Basil 5

Posted August 11, 2014
My daughter started Kindergarden last yr at basil. I LOVE this school. They focus so much on preparing the kids for college, and its awesome. I heard a lot of parents complaining that Basil treats the students like they are in the military. And, I disagree with that. Basil is teaching the kids discipline at a young age ,which a lot of students do not receive at home.

Posted August 07, 2014
In the past two years, Basil has undergone significant change. It was once on the watch list as a potential school to close. In the past two years, the school has improved significantly. The focus is on college prep and character. The scores have dramatically improved, and it matters. Our students did not wear caps and gowns, because they attended a moving up ceremony that was beautiful and appropriate. You wear a cap and gown when you graduate, not move from 8th to 9th grade. We have to raise our expectations. We expect our students to graduate from college and live meaningful lives. We have an open door policy. Anyone can come, visit and see the transformation.

Posted August 05, 2014
I wish I could give 0 stars. Do NOT send your children here. Admin don't care about children and teachers operate under constant fear. The rules are oppressive. Kids are not allowed to socialize ever and are "disciplined" for every little thing

Posted June 19, 2014
This school is trash . The 8th graders couldn't graduate in cap and gowns but just 2 years ago the kindergartener had cap and gowns . I guess the 5 year olds accomplished more than the 8th graders . This school cheated done of these parents out of the only cap and gown pictures they may ever have of their kids . In this community many of the kids will be killed in the streets before they reach senior year and some will simply drop out . Also they will call you for every single thing your child does . Kids are suspended here for age appropriate behavior . No library or text books . Parents opinions don't matter at all .

CICS Basil 5

Posted May 14, 2014
I have three kids that attend CICS Basil this school is for kids with behavior problems. The 8th are not allowed to wear captain gowns for graduation because they haven't earned it, the kids raised they hand the wrong way they get checks or no treasure chest on Friday. They love controlling our kids and don't value the parents opinion. I so regret letting my kids attend this school. Please do your research before applying to this school . I do respect the fact everyone needs a job , but they communication is horrible. Please parents be wise with your school choose.

Posted May 12, 2014
This school is such a fluke!! My son attends this school and they don't put parents first!!! It's like when u want to speak to a superior it's a lot of whispers, hidden agendas and other bologna. My son was held back from the fifth grade which was horrific for him but I told him that he wasn't putting his best effort in to his work I came to realize that he didn't get the work and he was falling behind I did what I had to do as a parent but when he came to the school he was falling behind because the teachers never worked with him, I just hate the fact that they say they focus on the students growth and potential to move to the next level when in fact it's not true!!

CICS Basil 2

Posted January 22, 2014
This school does not have a library. This is a travesty. What message is that sending? Literacy is the key to a sound education. Well-meaning adults can easily destroy a child's love of reading: stop them reading what they enjoy, or give them worthy-but-dull books that you like, the 21st-century equivalents of Victorian "improving" literature. You'll wind up with a generation convinced that reading is uncool and worse, unpleasant. One way to destroy a child's love of reading, of course, is to make sure there are no books of any kind around. Literacy is more important than ever it was, in this world of text and email, a world of written information. We need to read and write, we need global citizens who can read comfortably, comprehend what they are reading, understand nuance, and make themselves understood. Libraries really are the gates to the future. So it is unfortunate that CICS Basil sees not having a library as an easy way to save money, without realizing that they are stealing from the future to pay for today. They are closing the gates that should be open. Instead, they are focused on data and test results.

Posted June 17, 2013
This school is a waste of time!!!!! I wouldn't send my pet here!!!! Most of the teacher's that I was in contact with were unprofessional and immature!!! This school doesn't use textbooks, just worksheets and packets.

CICS Basil